New software update for Gravity - 3.5

That would be great!! I know iOS 26.4 provides for it, however my Polestar 3 has not opted in and my Dodge Durango certainly doesn't implement it. I'm a big Apple fanboy - if Lucid's CarPlay integration is as complete as Apple allows, that will be awesome! No need for in-car apps for so much of my needs.

I wonder what kind of revenue loss there is to Lucid when YouTube and other subscription services no longer have to pay Lucid to be allowed into the car?
I could be wrong but I don't think Lucid will be going all in on what CarPlay \ AA offers just like many other automakers who haven't gone all in. I'd be surprised if the SoC data etc. even makes it into Apple\Google Maps also. It's just not in their best interests to do so when you can see the path they're taking by offering subscriptions. Why allow video to be shown from CarPlay \ AA when you're implanting video streaming apps yourself which I assume will be part of a connectivity pack subscription.
 
Why allow video to be shown from CarPlay \ AA when you're implanting video streaming apps yourself which I assume will be part of a connectivity pack subscription.
Because it'll take them 6 months to implement and another 9 months to debug and some potential customers don't want to wait and will choose another vehicle instead?
 
Because it'll take them 6 months to implement and another 9 months to debug and some potential customers don't want to wait and will choose another vehicle instead?
I don't think they need to write anything from scratch themselves—it's just regular Android, so it can run any standard Android apps. They will, however, need to follow certain rules to meet the security requirements for streaming services. Of course, Lucid can just use their own app store and maintain full control over who and what can be installed.
 
As for Android Auto Projection, it's a two-way protocol. The latest version allows the car to pass along not just the state of the lights, compass, and GPS coordinates to Android, but also the SoC, estimated range, and real-time efficiency (Mi/kWh). Google Maps uses this exact data to dynamically calculate your battery arrival percentage and automatically route you to charging stations if you won't make it to your destination. To be honest, Lucid's built-in maps are just terrible, and I'm waiting for AA mostly because of them.
 
As for Android Auto Projection, it's a two-way protocol. The latest version allows the car to pass along not just the state of the lights, compass, and GPS coordinates to Android, but also the SoC, estimated range, and real-time efficiency (Mi/kWh). Google Maps uses this exact data to dynamically calculate your battery arrival percentage and automatically route you to charging stations if you won't make it to your destination. To be honest, Lucid's built-in maps are just terrible, and I'm waiting for AA mostly because of them.
Again, don't assume all this info is going to be passed onto the navigation apps. It's been available in CarPlay and AA for some time and many automakers choose not implement it. Lucid hasn't allowed it on the Air so would be surprised if it's on the Gravity.
 
Again, don't assume all this info is going to be passed onto the navigation apps. It's been available in CarPlay and AA for some time and many automakers choose not implement it. Lucid hasn't allowed it on the Air so would be surprised if it's on the Gravity.
Sadly, I agree.
 
Again, don't assume all this info is going to be passed onto the navigation apps. It's been available in CarPlay and AA for some time and many automakers choose not implement it. Lucid hasn't allowed it on the Air so would be surprised if it's on the Gravity.
Agreed. I put the chances at 0% for anything other than “basic” CP and AA. They want the money for video subscriptions and even though they’ll have to pay to code it, there just aren’t that many people saying “unless I can watch Netflix while waiting for my car to charge, I am not buying X car…”.

The viewing (and sound) experience is better on an iPad or laptop anyway, so I always just bring one of those since my car has to be stopped to watch anyway. Also, if I have four people in my car, all four want to watch something different - four iPads and one hotspot works fine.
 
I could be wrong but I don't think Lucid will be going all in on what CarPlay \ AA offers just like many other automakers who haven't gone all in. I'd be surprised if the SoC data etc. even makes it into Apple\Google Maps also. It's just not in their best interests to do so when you can see the path they're taking by offering subscriptions. Why allow video to be shown from CarPlay \ AA when you're implanting video streaming apps yourself which I assume will be part of a connectivity pack subscription.
That would be really disappointing. But I'm expecting to be disappointed. 😣

It was great in my Ford Mustang Mach-E (the arrival SOC%, not video).
 
It's also possible to do it incrementally. First get the basic version out that's simpler and can officially claim it has been delivered to customers.

Personally wouldn't bet on them adding much more later though as there are bigger fish to fry imho.
 
Agreed. I put the chances at 0% for anything other than “basic” CP and AA. They want the money for video subscriptions and even though they’ll have to pay to code it, there just aren’t that many people saying “unless I can watch Netflix while waiting for my car to charge, I am not buying X car…”.

The viewing (and sound) experience is better on an iPad or laptop anyway, so I always just bring one of those since my car has to be stopped to watch anyway. Also, if I have four people in my car, all four want to watch something different - four iPads and one hotspot works fine.
I don't see much point in built-in video since it can't legally be in view of the driver when the car is moving (at least that's my understanding). I guess maybe for while people are sitting in the car while charging, but after 2 hours in that seat for the last leg and 2 more hours for the next leg, I'm getting out of the car and stretching my legs for a while. Last thing I wanna do it keep sitting there for 25 more minutes.

Our Macan allows some video on the passenger-side screen while the car is moving (YouTube and anything through the browser), but when it detects a video is playing, a polarized screen filter turns on and blocks the angle from the driver seat while allowing others to see it. It's quite effective.

On road trips we bring a portable monitor, a Superbox, and a Starlink. Unlimited content.
 
Agreed. I put the chances at 0% for anything other than “basic” CP and AA. They want the money for video subscriptions and even though they’ll have to pay to code it, there just aren’t that many people saying “unless I can watch Netflix while waiting for my car to charge, I am not buying X car…”.

The viewing (and sound) experience is better on an iPad or laptop anyway, so I always just bring one of those since my car has to be stopped to watch anyway. Also, if I have four people in my car, all four want to watch something different - four iPads and one hotspot works fine.
Plus, not the best experience watching Netflix on the tiny corner of the cockpit screen, it's the size of your phone anyway.
 
I could be wrong but I don't think Lucid will be going all in on what CarPlay \ AA offers just like many other automakers who haven't gone all in. I'd be surprised if the SoC data etc. even makes it into Apple\Google Maps also. It's just not in their best interests to do so when you can see the path they're taking by offering subscriptions. Why allow video to be shown from CarPlay \ AA when you're implanting video streaming apps yourself which I assume will be part of a connectivity pack subscription.
Again, don't assume all this info is going to be passed onto the navigation apps. It's been available in CarPlay and AA for some time and many automakers choose not implement it. Lucid hasn't allowed it on the Air so would be surprised if it's on the Gravity.
Sorry, I missed your first message. I totally agree about the video streaming services, but I don't quite understand their motivation for sharing SoC, range, and efficiency data.
 
Sorry, I missed your first message. I totally agree about the video streaming services, but I don't quite understand their motivation for sharing SoC, range, and efficiency data.
Here’s what I don’t get about it not providing SOC. If TONS of info is actually available - via Home Assistant integrations per others here - why not give it to those of us who don’t want to set up our own HA servers and instances?
 
Here’s what I don’t get about it not providing SOC. If TONS of info is actually available - via Home Assistant integrations per others here - why not give it to those of us who don’t want to set up our own HA servers and instances?
Spot on. Furthermore, it would really work to Lucid's advantage by helping to defuse some of the frustration, which still seems to be running quite high based on the comments in this forum.
 
They want the money for video subscriptions
Then give me the opportunity to pay for the subscriptions! I still want CarPlay for a consistent interface, but I really do want to be able to use Netflix or whatever else I want to buy. Lucid can have my subscription money, just let me have more choices. Navigation, I am ok with what they have. It's entertainment choices I am looking for...
 
Last edited:
Doesn't it seem like figuring out we were talking about two completely different things is a reason to clarify, rather than jump to personal insults? I actually don't know what CarPlay or AA AI boxes are, nor have I ever used them. However, I know exactly how Android Auto Projection and Android Automotive OS work. My points were strictly regarding the scenario of connecting a phone to an OEM-implemented AAP receiver (I think this is exactly what most people here are waiting for in 3.5.).
Where, on earth, did you see an insult?! I stated the fact you dont have a clue what AI boxes are - fact you just confirmed. Please quote the specific portion of my post you perceive to be an insult.

You say "My points were strictly regarding the scenario of connecting a phone to an OEM-implemented AAP receiver", BUT YOU QUOTED MY POST! And I said, and it is abundantly clear from the contents of my post, as well as my posts leading up to the one you quoted, I was talking specifically about CP/AA for AI boxes use. It doesn't make any sense to quote someone's post and then say you were talking about completely different thing than what the post you quoted talks about.

Had you just made a post about AA with some comments about AA capabilities, without quoting my post - I would have glossed over it, because it doesn't have anything to do with me, or stuff I was talking about in this thread. I dont own an iPhone, and I dont use regular AA with my Android phone, because AA' capabilities are very limited, and restricted by Google and the car maker's adaptation of AA software. You quote my post and talk about how AA unlikely to allow video play, when my post talks about AI boxes, and there are absolutely no restrictions on video play, because the tech I was talking about doesn't utilize AA for anything but establishing connection to vehicle's display.
 
Then give me the opportunity to pay for the subscriptions! I still want CarPlay for a consistent interface, but I really do want to be able to use or Netflix or whatever else I want to buy. Lucid can have my subscription money, just let me have more choices. Navigation, I am ok with what they have. It's entertainment choices I am looking for...
I explained to you in previous post of yours I quoted that you will be able to use Netflix and literally every other Android software under the sun, available on Google Play or anywhere else outside of it, the second v3.5 is installed on your car. You do not need Lucid for that and you don't need a subscription - just a one time $350-$400 worth hardware purchase.

I've had Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Amazon Prime video, and regular live TV with 25,000+ channels from all over the world in my cars for well over a decade.
 
Where, on earth, did you see an insult?! I stated the fact you dont have a clue what AI boxes are - fact you just confirmed. Please quote the specific portion of my post you perceive to be an insult.

You say "My points were strictly regarding the scenario of connecting a phone to an OEM-implemented AAP receiver", BUT YOU QUOTED MY POST! And I said, and it is abundantly clear from the contents of my post, as well as my posts leading up to the one you quoted, I was talking specifically about CP/AA for AI boxes use. It doesn't make any sense to quote someone's post and then say you were talking about completely different thing than what the post you quoted talks about.

Had you just made a post about AA with some comments about AA capabilities, without quoting my post - I would have glossed over it, because it doesn't have anything to do with me, or stuff I was talking about in this thread. I dont own an iPhone, and I dont use regular AA with my Android phone, because AA' capabilities are very limited, and restricted by Google and the car maker's adaptation of AA software. You quote my post and talk about how AA unlikely to allow video play, when my post talks about AI boxes, and there are absolutely no restrictions on video play, because the tech I was talking about doesn't utilize AA for anything but establishing connection to vehicle's display.

I believe we've already cleared up that I was referring to something else entirely. I definitely jumped the gun by quoting your post. The 'AA' acronym is genuinely confusing since it can mean either the Android Auto Projection Receiver or Android Automotive OS—meaning the embedded, virtualized/native Android running on top of the QNX RTOS. The AI box is just yet another use case that I am unfamiliar with and have never messed with.
 
I explained to you in previous post of yours I quoted that you will be able to use Netflix and literally every other Android software under the sun, available on Google Play or anywhere else outside of it, the second v3.5 is installed on your car. You do not need Lucid for that and you don't need a subscription - just a one time $350-$400 worth hardware purchase.

I've had Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Amazon Prime video, and regular live TV with 25,000+ channels from all over the world in my cars for well over a decade.

But can you run it on the second display?
 
I explained to you in previous post of yours I quoted that you will be able to use Netflix and literally every other Android software under the sun, available on Google Play or anywhere else outside of it, the second v3.5 is installed on your car. You do not need Lucid for that and you don't need a subscription - just a one time $350-$400 worth hardware purchase.

I've had Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Amazon Prime video, and regular live TV with 25,000+ channels from all over the world in my cars for well over a decade.
I get that, with the purchase of a separate box. My Polestar has a fairly "robust" batch of apps available for use. It switches between CarPlay and the OEM modes quite easily. I already subscribe to every outside app I would want access to - but I don't want my console or footwell to look like a cloud server rack - I am almost gagging on this next statement - Polestar's setup is better than just adding CarPlay. Give me built in apps, playable on the pilot panel, without additional hardware.

I get the workaround you have developed - I did it back in 2009 with a Chevy Suburban playing movies on the center screen, thinking it was the back-up camera. I just don't want to have to do that workaround. It's 2026, for God's sake!
 
Back
Top