New Bugs Since 3.5.1

I got a call last night from a friend who is leasing a Volvo EX30 -- his first EV. He said the screens in his car were all black, and he wondered if there was anything he could do. I said he should try to do a reboot. He didn't know how, so I told him to google "Volvo EX30 reboot", and he'd probably find out how.

I hung up thinking, "ah, so it's not just Lucid screens that black out". Then I remembered he's had his car almost six months, and this was the first time it's happened.

It happens to our Lucids several times a week.

He texted me about a half hour later to say the reboot worked.
 
whos gonna buy a Lucid that doesn't work? Besides those of us that already did lol
Haha - don’t underestimate the belief that some people have that it just won’t happen to them. After all, Range Rover still sells a lot of cars. 😜
 
I got a call last night from a friend who is leasing a Volvo EX30 -- his first EV. He said the screens in his car were all black, and he wondered if there was anything he could do. I said he should try to do a reboot. He didn't know how, so I told him to google "Volvo EX30 reboot", and he's probably find out how.

I hung up thinking, "ah, so it's not just Lucid screens that black out". Then I remembered he's had his car almost six months, and this was the first time it's happened.

It happens to our Lucids several times a week.

He texted me about a half hour later to say the reboot worked.
Not that we're a Polestar forum, however their reset is holding down the "Play/Paise" button on the console for 30 seconds or so. You can do it while driving.

Their is a secondary one for their PAAK operation, but I haven't had to do that in almost a year.
 
Interestingly, I just did this successfully the other day. Just had to hold buttons a bit longer, but it worked.

Biggest “bug” is I can’t get front camera to appear on glass cockpit when parking. Surround view appears on pilot panel.

Something I found out in a call to Customer Service the other day: when doing an X/mic/brake reboot, if you wait for a second chime before releasing the buttons and pedal the reboot will reset more subsystems. It doesn't take appreciably longer for the car to reset, and it will correct more errors.
 
Interestingly, I just did this successfully the other day. Just had to hold buttons a bit longer, but it worked.

Biggest “bug” is I can’t get front camera to appear on glass cockpit when parking. Surround view appears on pilot panel.
Same issue for me with parking - only the surround view comes on. I have to X out of it and re-select the Parking view to show the glass cockpit front and rear cameras. Or, I have to shift to reverse and then back to drive to activate both parking screens. 🤷🏽‍♂️
 
I wouldn’t have even thought of that “workaround” nor should it be necessary. My screens were great for the first two weeks after 3.5.1 - then h th e regression started. Need another OTA to refresh everything again.
It definitely shouldn’t be necessary. This issue just started occurring with 3.5.1. Not sure when the next update will be, but hopefully this gets fixed along with stabilizing their rear view camera view.
 
We went to dinner tonight in our older Gravity with friends in the car. When I tried to switch music sources I found that -- yet again -- the Pilot Screen, the toggle switches, the rotary volume knob, and the steering wheel buttons were not functioning. As usual when this happens, the Pilot Screen appears normal, and you can switch between menus. But within the menus there is no response to commands.

We are usually in one or the other of our Gravities at least once a day and more often on many days. For the past two weeks we haven't had a single outing without some feature we tried to use malfunctioning.

One of our passengers tonight is a software programmer who has been a frequent passenger in our Lucids for over four years. He said we were most likely experiencing symptoms of memory leak in these Gravities, especially in light of the fact that the issues started multiplying a while after the 3.5.1 update. He said such accumulation of issues is typical of memory leaks. He added that this is going to be an existential issue for Lucid if their software team doesn't start going through the software module by module to deal with this.
 
We went to dinner tonight in our older Gravity with friends in the car. When I tried to switch music sources I found that -- yet again -- the Pilot Screen, the toggle switches, the rotary volume knob, and the steering wheel buttons were not functioning. As usual when this happens, the Pilot Screen appears normal, and you can switch between menus. But within the menus there is no response to commands.

We are usually in one or the other of our Gravities at least once a day and more often on many days. For the past two weeks we haven't had a single outing without some feature we tried to use malfunctioning.

One of our passengers tonight is a software programmer who has been a frequent passenger in our Lucids for over four years. He said we were most likely experiencing symptoms of memory leak in these Gravities, especially in light of the fact that the issues started multiplying a while after the 3.5.1 update. He said such accumulation of issues is typical of memory leaks. He added that this is going to be an existential issue for Lucid if their software team doesn't start going through the software module by module to deal with this.
I'm also a software developer (probably going to get replaced by AI soon haha) and while early on that was my suspicion I have to believe that may only be a small part of the many SW issues they are dealing with because if it was a memory leak (or several) in a common path literally everyone would be hitting it and all the time.

While I still think there is some memory leak(s) possibly going on, my guess is it's a small part of the myriad of issues, and probably some bigger issue(s) are timing/race conditions.

But with all the advancement in coding tools and AI tools I have to say memory leaks are way easier to debug and fix so I would be surprised if they couldn't root cause those quickly.
 
I'm also a software developer (probably going to get replaced by AI soon haha) and while early on that was my suspicion I have to believe that may only be a small part of the many SW issues they are dealing with because if it was a memory leak (or several) in a common path literally everyone would be hitting it and all the time.

While I still think there is some memory leak(s) possibly going on, my guess is it's a small part of the myriad of issues, and probably some bigger issue(s) are timing/race conditions.

But with all the advancement in coding tools and AI tools I have to say memory leaks are way easier to debug and fix so I would be surprised if they couldn't root cause those quickly.

So, what do you think the prospects are for the software becoming stable any time soon? I've spent ten months living with it in our Air Dream Edition before UX 2.0 came along and a series of improvements ensued, and I'm already over nine months with the Gravity.

And is there any way Lucid can avoid this with the next model introduction? So far they're 0 for 2 and, I hope, have at least one strike left.
 
So, what do you think the prospects are for the software becoming stable any time soon? I've spent ten months living with it in our Air Dream Edition before UX 2.0 came along and a series of improvements ensued, and I'm already over nine months with the Gravity.

And is there any way Lucid can avoid this with the next model introduction? So far they're 0 for 2 and, I hope, have at least one strike left.
I'm another software engineer. Unfortunately, there's no way for an outsider to predict: we just don't have enough information about Lucid's software architecture and what might be causing the problems. What I can say is that over the last 4 months or so, Lucid seems to have stepped up the pace of their changes to the Gravity's software. That's a good sign, and if they sustain their attention to it, we're likely to see Q2 continue to make some substantial improvements. The risk isn't that the problems are unsolveable. Rather it's if Lucid decides that Gravity is good enough for most of their customers, and decides to focus on Cosmos instead. But I think that won't happen, if no other reason than it seems that there will be a lot of shared code between the two vehicles.
 
I pretty much start every drive with a hard reboot, especially if the car has been sleeping a while. It shouldn’t require this, but the extra 30 seconds makes my drive so much more bearable.
 
So, what do you think the prospects are for the software becoming stable any time soon? I've spent ten months living with it in our Air Dream Edition before UX 2.0 came along and a series of improvements ensued, and I'm already over nine months with the Gravity.

And is there any way Lucid can avoid this with the next model introduction? So far they're 0 for 2 and, I hope, have at least one strike left.
Really hard to say from the outside looking in. My guess is just as good or bad as any other sw engineer here.

Its good their pace has been better, but also the low hanging fruit easy fixes may have already been done so its only going to get harder from here. New features are also going to add stress to the system stability unless their testing process is hardened significantly from what we've seen so far.

The fanboy in me wants to keep faith in them, but the engineer in me is skeptical. If the engineering talent is there, then it may be a resource (human or hardware) shortage, leadership problem, or others and maybe everything combined.
 
And is there any way Lucid can avoid this with the next model introduction? So far they're 0 for 2 and, I hope, have at least one strike left.
I think there was a discussion about why this happened with the Gravity in other threads and I would have to +1 to the folks thinking management decided to ship Gravity with very buggy but baseline barely livable SW rather than delay.

Once again the fanboy in me would like to believe it won't happen with Mid Size but just cannot really bet on it. The same situation is possible again, and the industry car culture is to ship asap and push OTA updates later unfortunately. I would lower my expectations to hope the baseline barebones SW that ships with mid size at least doesn't have major bugs critical to using the vehicle 😅 🤞
 
I'm also a software developer (probably going to get replaced by AI soon haha) and while early on that was my suspicion I have to believe that may only be a small part of the many SW issues they are dealing with because if it was a memory leak (or several) in a common path literally everyone would be hitting it and all the time.

While I still think there is some memory leak(s) possibly going on, my guess is it's a small part of the myriad of issues, and probably some bigger issue(s) are timing/race conditions.

But with all the advancement in coding tools and AI tools I have to say memory leaks are way easier to debug and fix so I would be surprised if they couldn't root cause those quickly.
For those of us that are not SW engineers or tech to that extent this sounds comforting
Hopefully Lucid has made investments in some brilliant minds in their SW dept and we shall see smoother sailing ahead
 
  • Like
Reactions: RL8
Really hard to say from the outside looking in. My guess is just as good or bad as any other sw engineer here.

Its good their pace has been better, but also the low hanging fruit easy fixes may have already been done so its only going to get harder from here. New features are also going to add stress to the system stability unless their testing process is hardened significantly from what we've seen so far.

The fanboy in me wants to keep faith in them, but the engineer in me is skeptical. If the engineering talent is there, then it may be a resource (human or hardware) shortage, leadership problem, or others and maybe everything combined.
The partial regression post OTA is most concerning to me. Lucid seems able to “fix” many bugs, but several creep back over time. I have no concern about their ability to address bugs - but the bugs seem like cockroaches, and those tend to come back.

I can say CarPlay has been fabulous for me since it was released. So that’s a win. And the fob is so much better (for me) than it was almost a year ago.
 
The partial regression post OTA is most concerning to me. Lucid seems able to “fix” many bugs, but several creep back over time. I have no concern about their ability to address bugs - but the bugs seem like cockroaches, and those tend to come back.

Exactly. And this is a new phenomenon with the Gravity. We've had our Air for over four years and been through frequent updates with it. A new bug or two would sometimes slip in with an update but soon be corrected.

But I never saw anything like we've seen with the Gravities, where new malfunctions pop up spontaneously and continue to increase in number well after an update. It happens across seemingly-unrelated functions, and it happens in both cars. At first I felt rather picked on by some mysterious malevolence, but then more and more people on this forum started reporting the same thing with their cars.

There is something very different going on with the evolution of Gravity software than what we saw with the Air. The Air improved steadily. The Gravity is going in the opposite direction.
 
Am I dreaming?

Over the past two days we have had both our Gravities on the road without a single software malfunction. Key fobs worked, screens didn't freeze, driver seats moved into position, frunks and hatches operated properly, Vibe lighting worked, audio played. I honestly cannot remember when that last happened. And it has helped me remember what a pleasure it can be to drive a Gravity when it is not pounding you over the head with software glitches.

On the other hand, we now have to reboot our Air more often than not to get audio to work, but it seems a small price to pay if that's the trade.

Seriously, though . . . could this mean that the software team finally found the source of all the problems Gravity owners have been seeing mushroom lately?

If not, please don't wake me from this dream.
 
Am I dreaming?

Over the past two days we have had both our Gravities on the road without a single software malfunction. Key fobs worked, screens didn't freeze, driver seats moved into position, frunks and hatches operated properly, Vibe lighting worked, audio played. I honestly cannot remember when that last happened...
Could this have anything to do with: install fob batteries out of range or just a coincidence.
 
Back
Top