New Air Pure in NC

ReliantK

Cars
Lucid Air (expected 6/13
Picked up my Air Pure in Atlanta, drove it home to Durham NC. I got it based on the rec of a former Lucid employee (engineer) who had a lot of great things to say about the engineering and culture of innovation at Lucid. The various incentives did not hurt either. I have driven older Land Rover trucks and SUVs along with the odd jaguar or old porsche (nothing with less than 150k miles on it for quite a while) so I wanted a sedan for a chamge of pace, and also wanted something less clunky. Was not necc looking togo EV, but my friend and a test drive in NYC convinced me. Anyway here are my impressions so far.

Driving and handling are great. The accel in the Pure is plenty for me. The handling is better than I expected. Driving dynamics seem spot on.

Fast charging and range are as advertised- very happy with the range

The electronics on the other hand, are buggy as hell. Sometimes the doors lock when I walk away, sometimes they don't. Carplay disappears. Self park doesn't work at all. Phone, Bluetooth music and onboard nav work flawlessly 99.9% of the time. I'm not that annoyed because recall I am coming from buggy British cars but I still hope they get it fixed - being worse than my 2011 Jag XJ electronics-wise is quite an accomplishment.

Anyway

Picked up my Air Pure in Atlanta, drove it home to Durham NC. I got it based on the rec of a former Lucid employee (engineer) who had a lot of great things to say about the engineering and culture of innovation at Lucid. The various incentives did not hurt either. I have driven older Land Rover trucks and SUVs along with the odd jaguar or old porsche (nothing with less than 150k miles on it for quite a while) so I wanted a sedan for a chamge of pace, and also wanted something less clunky. Was not necc looking togo EV, but my friend and a test drive in NYC convinced me. Anyway here are my impressions so far.

Driving and handling are great. The accel in the Pure is plenty for me. The handling is better than I expected. Driving dynamics seem spot on.

Fast charging and range are as advertised- very happy with the range

The electronics on the other hand, are buggy as hell. Sometimes the doors lock when I walk away, sometimes they don't. Carplay disappears. Self park doesn't work at all. Phone, Bluetooth music and onboard nav work flawlessly 99.9% of the time. I'm not that annoyed because recall I am coming from buggy British cars but I still hope they get it fixed - being worse than my 2011 Jag XJ electronics-wise is quite an accomplishment.

Anyway
Accidentally posted this before I finished and seems I can't edit now I wanted to end by saying that I am mostly satisfied with the car. Because I have a high tolerance for electronic gremlins, and I am looking forward to driving it for the next few years. It doesn't hurt that it's one of the best looking cars on the road

Have seen very similar sentiments from new owners in looking through the history here, everyone loves how it drives, but many are frustrated by the tech and the door/lock management. I've set my expectations low. That said, during test drive, the self-park worked on the first try, parking between two cars. Keep in mind, you have to drive past the spot, there have to be other cars there, and it doesn't do diagonals. Other than THAT, keep an eye out for tides, sun spots, planetary alignment,. any recent history of sneezing (or not sneezing) and check your horoscope to see if self-parking is in your future.

Back