My "controlled" experiment

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
I drove round-trip of about 290 miles between my home in central Illinois and Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, this past Sunday. The temperature was 75 degrees. Wind light. There is a 500 foot elevation difference between my home and Oak Park. I drove at 73 mph mostly on cruise control (the speedometer showed 75, but my Lucid is 2 mph optimistic). 99 percent was expressway/Interstate driving. We set the air conditioner for 72. Tires were inflated to the specified 49 psi.for 19-inch wheels. Two adults and a 37 pound dog. No cargo.

The Lucid Touring achieved 3.7 miles/kwh, which I consider respectable. There was one fly in the ointment, a massive wreck on I-57 stopped traffic for half an hour on the way home. We turned off the AC and lost 1 percent of charge while idle (it was dark and the lights were on).

As an aside, there was an Electrify America charging station half a block from the restaurant where we were dining. Of the eight terminals, four were inoperative. However, for the first time, we plugged in and EA recognized the Lucid and began charging at 110 kw/h (ultimately falling to 50 kw/h). I even received an email receipt from Lucid verifying the charging session. That's never happened before.

A big part of efficiency is driving style. Interstates (at least in the Midwest and East) seem to have vehicles going 80-85 in the left lane and trucks going 68-70 in the right lane. The question is at 72-75 mph, how do you negotiate passing slower moving vehicles? Optimizing that technique is worth 0.2-0.4 or more of added efficiency.

I just stay in the middle at whatever speed limit I want. People are able to pass me on the left, or go slower in the right. It's a happy medium.

I drove round-trip of about 290 miles between my home in central Illinois and Oak Park, a Chicago suburb, this past Sunday. The temperature was 75 degrees. Wind light. There is a 500 foot elevation difference between my home and Oak Park. I drove at 73 mph mostly on cruise control (the speedometer showed 75, but my Lucid is 2 mph optimistic). 99 percent was expressway/Interstate driving. We set the air conditioner for 72. Tires were inflated to the specified 49 psi.for 19-inch wheels. Two adults and a 37 pound dog. No cargo.

The Lucid Touring achieved 3.7 miles/kwh, which I consider respectable. There was one fly in the ointment, a massive wreck on I-57 stopped traffic for half an hour on the way home. We turned off the AC and lost 1 percent of charge while idle (it was dark and the lights were on).

As an aside, there was an Electrify America charging station half a block from the restaurant where we were dining. Of the eight terminals, four were inoperative. However, for the first time, we plugged in and EA recognized the Lucid and began charging at 110 kw/h (ultimately falling to 50 kw/h). I even received an email receipt from Lucid verifying the charging session. That's never happened before.
A/C is the biggest variable in my efficiency. I live in LV, which requires A/C during the summer all the time.

Prior to mid June, my lifetime efficiency was 3.9. From then until this week, it dropped to 3.8 but that includes all lifetime miles. Even monitoring "Since Last Charge" without phantom drain, i rarely hit 3.7, usually 3.5. So during the summer, simply by running the A/C, efficiency has dropped at least 0.3-0.5 - a substantial impact.

Now that I'm driving without A/C much of the time, I'm back to 3.9 and I've been driving less conservatively.

I would be interested in seeing your experiment again next time, when you don't need to run A/C.

I just stay in the middle at whatever speed limit I want. People are able to pass me on the left, or go slower in the right. It's a happy medium.
There is a reason that official state driver's manuals tell you to move to the right until you are either all the way to the right or you are moving with or faster than the traffic in that lane. People who do what you do are what is clogging all the roads up as drivers have to switch lanes constantly. Please stop doing that!

There is a reason that official state driver's manuals tell you to move to the right until you are either all the way to the right or you are moving with or faster than the traffic in that lane. People who do what you do are what is clogging all the roads up as drivers have to switch lanes constantly. Please stop doing that!
Every highway here in Utah is 4-6 lanes, the very specific lanes you are talking about is 2 laned interstates when going from state to state.
I'm always in the right or in the middle depending as in Utah, many right lane's highways merge off to an exit.

So no, I'm not causing any clogging. In fact, I'm ACC tailing the person in front of me usually.

I drove this past weekend to see my son about 320 miles each way. This is in Florida so the weather is generally hot. I drive an Air Touring with 19 inch tires which are perfectly set at the right psi. Two people and a small dog with light set of bags. AC always on.

On the way there I drove just below 80 mph. Like in the mid to high 70’s. I was able to get about 3.5 miles/kwh. ( I calculated 3.3 m/Kwh) The difference between the EPA 425 mile range was about 71% or about 302 miles.

On the way back, I drove between 80 to 90 mph. I was able to get about 3.2 miles/kwh. (I calculated 2.9 m/kwh ) The diff between EPA 425 range was about 63% of that or 270 miles.

In term of charging, I only used EA and had pretty good experience. One time certain chargers were down but was able to get a good charger. My highest was 259kw on good quality DC charger.

Here is the charging recap.
6% to 85% in 41 minutes from 211kw to 55 kw.
24% to 81% in 35 minutes from 165kw to 42kw.
6% to 61% in 23 minutes from 259 kw to 56 kw.
Overall pretty happy with charging. I always did the plug and charge and it worked perfect. Always got an email with charging info.

Not too happy with 63% or 71% of EPA range but I guess driving the car hard is much more fun!

How did you calculate the m/kWhr? Was the other number the Lucid showing since last charge?
The first (higher) number was the trip computer from last charge. The lower m/kwhr I calculated by getting the total range I got divided by 92 kwhr battery.

Without the dog your efficiency would have been 4.0. 😉
No. My dog is like 15 lbs. I think if I went on a diet the efficiency would be 4.0. Haha

The first (higher) number was the trip computer from last charge. The lower m/kwhr I calculated by getting the total range I got divided by 92 kwhr battery.
I apologize but I am still not following how you did your calculation. Can you tell me more?

I don't have access to specific calculations or real-time data, so I can't provide information on how a specific calculation was made or what numbers the Lucid was showing since its last charge. You may need to refer to the vehicle's manual or consult with the manufacturer or dealership for this information.

I apologize but I am still not following how you did your calculation. Can you tell me more?
Sure. I did a very simple calc based on my total estimate of range as follows.
On the way there, I calculated that the actual mileage I got in the car was 71% of the stated EPA range. More specifically, I left the house with 100% battery or 425 miles on the car’s estimated range. When I stopped to charge (since my wife wanted to stop) we were at 31% Soc or 131 estimated range left in the car. The difference between 425 and 131 was 294 miles of estimated range used while we actually had driven 209 miles. When you divide 209/294 you get 71%. So assuming I get 71% of the left over range on the car, the car’s total range would be 425*.71=302 miles. So a simple 302 miles / the battery capacity of 92 kw= 3.28 or 3.3 miles per Kwhr in the car.

I did the same calc going back home and got the lower 2.9 mile/kwhr when going above 80 for most of the trip.

I don't have access to specific calculations or real-time data, so I can't provide information on how a specific calculation was made or what numbers the Lucid was showing since its last charge. You may need to refer to the vehicle's manual or consult with the manufacturer or dealership for this information.
Well, by doing lots of math on my recent trips, the cars estimated range number has a simple algorithm. It really just uses the car’s total EPA range times the % state of charge left. So if your car has 425 mile EPA range (like my air touring with 19 inch wheels) then whatever the SOC is just multiply that percentage times 425 and you get what the car is showing for estimated range left in the battery. It is pretty simple and inaccurate.

Back