More than 90 Percent of German EVs Sold in Q1 were Leases

More Than 90 Percent Of German EVs Sold In Q1 Were Leases (jalopnik.com)

I wonder if this is the case for Lucid now too with all the crazy lease deals, and what happens when all the leases need to be returned? Do you think we could end up in a huge e-waste epidemic in a couple years?
I mean, this makes complete sense. It's basically the "white Mercedes GLE with black interior and no options," but carrying over to the EV world. 🤣

I would guess that with the recent discounts, its more like 50-70 percent. I feel that the German brands specifically are more prone to this occurring, especially since I've never seen anything to this extent with other luxury marques.

I mean, this makes complete sense. It's basically the "white Mercedes GLE with black interior and no options," but carrying over to the EV world. 🤣

I would guess that with the recent discounts, its more like 50-70 percent. I feel that the German brands specifically are more prone to this occurring, especially since I've never seen anything to this extent with other luxury marques.
Really?? You think as low as 50% of Lucid’s are being leased since the Q1 deals began? I could buy 70-75% maybe. But I think there’s a lot of fear of depreciating to effectively 0. I am still curious about the waste angle. Wonder if some kind of recycling businesses will emerge over the next few years for all the leftover EVs. At this point I can imagine majority of first gen Leafs, 500E, Focus Electrics are probably not even in use anymore.

Really?? You think as low as 50% of Lucid’s are being leased since the Q1 deals began? I could buy 70-75% maybe. But I think there’s a lot of fear of depreciating to effectively 0. I am still curious about the waste angle. Wonder if some kind of recycling businesses will emerge over the next few years for all the leftover EVs. At this point I can imagine majority of first gen Leafs, 500E, Focus Electrics are probably not even in use anymore.
Won’t lease returns be sold as used?

Frankly, I would be shocked if only 75% of last quarter's sales were leases. As far as the long-term financial impact of those leases goes, I sure hope that Gravity is on schedule and off to the races before 12 months from now, AND that 'Mid-Air' is scheduled for a 1H 2026 release.

...I am still curious about the waste angle. Wonder if some kind of recycling businesses will emerge over the next few years for all the leftover EVs. At this point I can imagine majority of first gen Leafs, 500E, Focus Electrics are probably not even in use anymore.
I don't see why leased EVs would be have any different lifecycle from other cars. There are already lithium battery recycling businesses scaling up.

Lease or buy……….???
When you can buy a loaded up used 22’ GT with over two years of warranty and very few
miles/ free EA for under 70K seems like it’s better 2 buy than lease at this point. To each their own.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
Lease or buy……….???
When you can buy a loaded up used 22’ GT with over two years of warranty and very few
miles/ free EA for under 70K seems like it’s better 2 buy than lease at this point. To each their own.
I think that, for the purpose of this discussion, we have been talking about whether people are buying or leasing new vehicles.

^^^^ understood just giving example of buying brand new vs nearly new and current market. 👍

I never lease. My current cars, besides my Lucid, are 2000, 2013 and 2017. However the economics of this one made leasing the better choice. With the $7500 tax credit and the low implicit rate build in, it made sense to lease. Unless prices drop and range drastically increases I will buy at least end.

I never lease. My current cars, besides my Lucid, are 2000, 2013 and 2017. However the economics of this one made leasing the better choice. With the $7500 tax credit and the low implicit rate build in, it made sense to lease. Unless prices drop and range drastically increases I will buy at least end.
What’s the msrp and residual for your lease?

Back