Mobile iOS application isn’t native…

thecodingart

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AGT
Referral Code
JWJOWFN3
Well, I just dug in and learned the mobile iOS application isn’t native unlike many of the top car applications in the App Store. As someone who works in the automotive industry on some of those top rated applications, I can only express my concerns and disapproval in providing a half baked experience for customers. It’s clear they’re not taking the iOS mobile application seriously… (this also explains the absurd application size considering the small feature set in the app).

Last edited:
While I agree the app could be improved, I am not convinced the nonnative app is the problem.

The latency with the car is pretty poor. More controls would be good too.

Also, this car spends more time sleeping than my cat.

When it comes to the apps I build, I care deeply about going native vs. not. What I need from my car app is sort of minimal, though. So, as long as it's done with care, and the buttons do what they are supposed to do, etc., it doesn't bother me that much. I'm pretty sure the Tesla app is non-native, and it works well enough.

In the end, I want it to unlock my car when I approach it and open various openings when I need them. Or set the climate before I leave the house. It's not rocket science.

What worries me more is the motivation for not going native, which is usually to save money (web developers are a lot cheaper) or the mistaken notion that it will save time. "We'll rewrite it natively later, once we have more success." That's not a good thing.

The software in the car is far more important, in any case. If Lucid doesn't get that the car's software is at least as important as their batteries / motor, they are in big trouble.

Most of the complaints about the app seem to be about speed, which is more a function of how long it takes to wake the car up than the app. If I were Lucid, I'd be putting most of my focus there for the time being.

Back