Alex

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Lucid DE R –Tesla X
DE Number
Referral Code
0M97RTIO
Already in use in China. North America in 3rd quarter. Hopefully we can see this on the Lucid Air, since it helps
4w_rt_tire_michelin_pilot_sport_ev_en_product_in_context_2_nosignature_square.jpg
increase range and reduce noise.

The first Michelin tire engineered to meet the specific handling and range requirements of electric sports cars,- Low road-noise for superior travelling comfort(1),- Result of the unique experience acquired by Michelin in Formula E racing,- An eco-responsible, CO2-neutral tire at the point of sale(2):

It would be great to see this tire go on a Lucid Air if it meets its promises. I suspect, however, that Lucid already has a purchase agreement with Pirelli and a warehouse stockpiled with Pirelli tires, whose tires are listed on the Air spec sheet. Like the new Michelins, Pirelli also has a noise-reduction foam insert (called Pirelli Noise Canceling System - PNCS) in some of it tires, but I've been unable to find whether it is spec'd for the Air. The range and wear increase claims for the Michelin are very intriguing, though.

If they are so specifically optimized for heavy EV sports sedans, I wonder if suspension calibration has to be tuned to them in order to extract their full benefit. If not, they might be ideal replacement tires for the OE Pirellis -- an event which will probably come sooner rather than later. Since the Dream Edition is using different front and rear sizes, there won't be any tire rotations to prolong the tread life for those who will make frequent use of the Air's acceleration capability. (I was told in Miami that the Dream Edition rear motor will have higher torque than the front motor to deal with acceleration loading.)

Pirelli has developed a special tire for the Rivian lineup. It also focuses on low rolling resistance, longer tread wear, improved acceleration, and noise reduction.

I wonder if the Pirelli tires that will be on the Lucid Air are a version of these tires? As with the Michelins, the Pirellis will have a special mark -- ELEC -- on the tire indicating it is specifically for an EV.

Back