Metal vs Glass roof

Would it make any difference between glass vs. metal roof if car is not kept in the covered garage? I don't have double garage so one car stays inside and other in driveway. So, was wondering if that makes any difference either longevity or something else. Never had glass roof car so no direct experience.

Also, any experience with glass in winter? I mean does the cabin get colder than it would typically be with metal roof?

Would it make any difference between glass vs. metal roof if car is not kept in the covered garage? I don't have double garage so one car stays inside and other in driveway. So, was wondering if that makes any difference either longevity or something else. Never had glass roof car so no direct experience.

Also, any experience with glass in winter? I mean does the cabin get colder than it would typically be with metal roof?
Bird poop probably comes off glass easier than metal, although some of the protection coatings may make it the same. I'm quicker to wipe droppings off metal as the finish could be etched by the acid in the droppings. And in terms of temperature, there's usually more insulation under the metal roof, but glass can be a good insulator. I would speculate that heat would be more of a factor with the glass roof than the cold, but all I've heard here is some comments on oppressive heat on really scorching days sometimes being more than the cooling system can effectively battle. Heard about the heat from a Lucid sales person driving in Fresno/Bakersfield area in California on a hot day.

Bird poop probably comes off glass easier than metal, although some of the protection coatings may make it the same. I'm quicker to wipe droppings off metal as the finish could be etched by the acid in the droppings. And in terms of temperature, there's usually more insulation under the metal roof, but glass can be a good insulator. I would speculate that heat would be more of a factor with the glass roof than the cold, but all I've heard here is some comments on oppressive heat on really scorching days sometimes being more than the cooling system can effectively battle. Heard about the heat from a Lucid sales person driving in Fresno/Bakersfield area in California on a hot day.
Thank you. I've not had any problem with bird droppings. Maybe once or twice a year so not a big deal. Don't have trees in front so that's helpful. I'm not too concerned about heat much in east coast as opposed to AZ or CA or even FL, etc. even though it can get hot for few days. I've always had cars with sunroof so that's helps a lot. I always valued the flexibility to open the roof to see the sky. But, it does stays closed most of the time :)

The headliner for a metal roof will probably take up 1/2 an inch. That's usually what is gained when you remove a headline to get a roll hoop closer to the roof skin.

But what you gain from the headliner is also a boat load of vibration damping. You'll find a bunch of fluffy material attached to the side facing the roof skin that significantly reduces noise. It's also light when compared to glass.

I'd wager a metal roof will result in a lighter car, which is equally as quiet if not more quiet when considering weight, better cg ( but probably negligible due to the battery being in the floor), and better thermal properties.

Hopefully soon we will know weight difference between two roofs.
I'm guessing 175 pounds.
Head room differences as well as sun visor attachments also something to nerd out over.

The headliner for a metal roof will probably take up 1/2 an inch. That's usually what is gained when you remove a headline to get a roll hoop closer to the roof skin.

But what you gain from the headliner is also a boat load of vibration damping. You'll find a bunch of fluffy material attached to the side facing the roof skin that significantly reduces noise. It's also light when compared to glass.

I'd wager a metal roof will result in a lighter car, which is equally as quiet if not more quiet when considering weight, better cg ( but probably negligible due to the battery being in the floor), and better thermal properties.
I’ve been tempted to cover my cars (not a Lucid) panoramic glass roof with acoustic foam panels. Just to see how much it affected the interior noise. I would expect a dramatic difference.

There IS one other major aesthetic difference that hasn't been pointed out at all in this discussion. The metal roof is body-colored, including the A and C pillars, while the glass roof has the two-toned shiny platinum colored framing and pillars. If you're NOT a fan of the two-tone look of the Air Touring and Grand Touring, then choosing the metal roof makes a huge difference in the exterior look of the car.

Metal roof with non-stealth is the cleanest look for the exterior body, in my opinion:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.24.20 AM.png

If you choose glass canopy (non-stealth) then you now have the two-tone look... and for me personally, i just don't care for that look (at least with the darker paint colors):
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.24.34 AM.png

So, you might then choose "stealth" to get rid of the bright body work... but if you choose the glass roof with stealth, you now get blacked-out pillars and upper sections, so it's still two-tone, just different two-tones:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.25.42 AM.png

I'd like that stealth look if the top section could be body-colored rather than black... but that's not an option with glass roof. With glass roof, your top half of the car will be either platinum colored (non-stealth), or black (stealth).

You CAN choose stealth with metal roof... and then top-half is indeed back to body-colored, but the other small platinum bits blacked out... which is s nice look:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.31.52 AM.png

In the end, for me, I really like the exterior look of the metal roof in the body color, since my car is likely to be red. I just don't like the two-tone looks that you get with the glass roof, whether or not you choose stealth or platinum look. Less of an issue with a black or silver car I guess, but a bigger issue on the red car.

I love them all, honestly. I have a Pure, so I love its look, but I'd probably be equally happy with the two-tone treatment. A close friend of mine much prefers the single tone treatment, but I'm not sure if he says that because that's what I have. ;)

There IS one other major aesthetic difference that hasn't been pointed out at all in this discussion. The metal roof is body-colored, including the A and C pillars, while the glass roof has the two-toned shiny platinum colored framing and pillars. If you're NOT a fan of the two-tone look of the Air Touring and Grand Touring, then choosing the metal roof makes a huge difference in the exterior look of the car.

Metal roof with non-stealth is the cleanest look for the exterior body, in my opinion:
View attachment 15938

If you choose glass canopy (non-stealth) then you now have the two-tone look... and for me personally, i just don't care for that look (at least with the darker paint colors):
View attachment 15939

So, you might then choose "stealth" to get rid of the bright body work... but if you choose the glass roof with stealth, you now get blacked-out pillars and upper sections, so it's still two-tone, just different two-tones:
View attachment 15940

I'd like that stealth look if the top section could be body-colored rather than black... but that's not an option with glass roof. With glass roof, your top half of the car will be either platinum colored (non-stealth), or black (stealth).

You CAN choose stealth with metal roof... and then top-half is indeed back to body-colored, but the other small platinum bits blacked out... which is s nice look:
View attachment 15941

In the end, for me, I really like the exterior look of the metal roof in the body color, since my car is likely to be red. I just don't like the two-tone looks that you get with the glass roof, whether or not you choose stealth or platinum look. Less of an issue with a black or silver car I guess, but a bigger issue on the red car.
I don't think anyone missed the fact the mental roof has the same color as the car body. I like the two tone between the car and the roof. It make the car stands out. But then, it is personal preference.

I’m a much bigger fan of the 2-tone. But, I do think Stealth + metal roof looks good. Particularly in silver.

There are so many good color combos, it’s pretty hard to go wrong.

I still want Lucid to make a green, though.

I’m a much bigger fan of the 2-tone. But, I do think Stealth + metal roof looks good. Particularly in silver.

There are so many good color combos, it’s pretty hard to go wrong.

I still want Lucid to make a green, though.
You could always wrap your car with green PPF like this one.

I like the two tone look with cosmos gray more so than with black or red. Combined with the two tone Santa Cruz interior it is very stylish.

I like the two tone look with cosmos gray more so than with black or red. Combined with the two tone Santa Cruz interior it is very stylish.
Yep, agree... two-tone looks good in gray or original DE gold, but less so with black and red. Red is my definite exterior color, so I just locked in and went with Air Touring Red w/ Santa Cruz, Metal Roof, platinum (non-stealth) and 19" aero's for range bump (and quiet/comfort).

Back