Matrix Headlights vs. ...Moose? [h/t to Bjørn Nyland]

copper

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring

Bjørn Nyland (a Norwegian EV YouTuber) had a close encounter with a moose in the BMW iX. Apparently the adaptive headlights didn't highlight the animal, causing it to be almost invisible until he was nearly on top of it. Thankfully he avoided it, but it calls out an interesting point for adaptive headlights - will they assume wildlife are people and not illuminate them?

I don't know exactly what is meant by "adaptive" headlights in regards to the Air. I have found the low beams have a very pronounced cutoff above a relatively low height. The illumination height raises considerably with the bright beams. I assume this is due to the fact that the light units have a very high output that could easily blind oncoming drivers. (I was also told that's the reason for the two dark spots near the top of the low beams on each side, although I can't quite figure out how that helps an oncoming driver unless he's right in the sweet spot.)

I asked the Lucid tech exactly how the headlight beams turn in the direction of steering given that the light units themselves are fixed. He said it was done electronically by engaging the bulbs/lens arrays on the outside corners of the headlight units (which are normally dark) based on steering input. Clever.

I don't know exactly what is meant by "adaptive" headlights in regards to the Air. I have found the low beams have a very pronounced cutoff above a relatively low height. The illumination height raises considerably with the bright beams. I assume this is due to the fact that the light units have a very high output that could easily blind oncoming drivers. (I was also told that's the reason for the two dark spots near the top of the low beams on each side, although I can't quite figure out how that helps an oncoming driver unless he's right in the sweet spot.)

I asked the Lucid tech exactly how the headlight beams turn in the direction of steering given that the light units themselves are fixed. He said it was done electronically by engaging the bulbs/lens arrays on the outside corners of the headlight units (which are normally dark) based on steering input. Clever.
I meant to say matrix - the headlights that stay on high beam and then block out other cars and pedestrians. Apparently it blocked the light out around the moose, which meant he nearly hit it.

Back