Massive Tesla Recall (OTA)

It is an OTA update. In that sense, the OP's posting is disingenuous. On the other hand, the actual article is in many ways even more damning of Tesla as it discusses how Tesla didn't fix its tendency to drive into first responder vehicles.

Reactions: DBV
Recalls happen to every car company. And it seems like it's a software fix, so there's no need for 2 million Teslas to be brought to a service center. So it's less of a disaster than the headline might imply.

But the recall itself does suggest Tesla will be making some changes that make it less likely folks driving with Autopilot are not paying attention. Or sitting in the back seat with an orange stuck in their steering wheel. And so on. Basically, no more being a complete idiot.

There will be tons of complaints from those who are still stupid enough to think Teslas can actually drive themselves. But this will likely save lives. So good.

It is an OTA update. In that sense, the OP's posting is disingenuous. On the other hand, the actual article is in many ways even more damning of Tesla as it discusses how Tesla didn't fix its tendency to drive into first responder vehicles.
It's a recall that can be done via OTA. Still a recall per the NHTSA so not disingenuous IMO.

Ah - not a big deal. All taken care of by software, which every company will have or has had at some point. In my mind, a software update is simple compared to a traditional recall where you have to take it in to fix, like an airbag, etc…

If you're going to use some fancy words to cast aspersions - perhaps you should be familiar with what the words actually mean. :)

The generally accepted definition of disingenuous is "slightly dishonest, or not speaking the complete truth".

You're correct that luckily for Tesla it is addressable by OTA but the post is true - I'm actually just quoting an AP report.

The broader implication is even more troubling for Tesla in that apparently the regulators settled on this recall only because they wanted to go much further but Tesla refused to cooperate and they felt that this was better than nothing.

That said - Tesla calling the option "Full Self Driving" is beyond disingenuous :D

Current Situation: Gladly sitting this one out but grabs some popcorn anyway! 😂😂

not speaking the complete truth
I didn't mean to offend you but calling it a massive recall when it is all OTA is not speaking the complete truth. The rest of your post is the same thing I said. A true recall would as you note have meant fixing the "autopilot" feature.

Reactions: DBV
I didn't mean to offend you but calling it a massive recall when it is all OTA is not speaking the complete truth. The rest of your post is the same thing I said. A true recall would as you note have meant fixing the "autopilot" feature.
Well, technically, they are fixing the autopilot feature. Or at least the safeguards that make using it require your actual attention.

This is a serious recall. And they wanted Tesla to go further in restricting access. But this was a compromise, essentially.

I didn’t know automakers had a right to haggle over such things. But I guess they do.

1) Is it a recall? Yes
2) Is it massive? Yes, it involves almost all their cars sold.

Is it the same as a hardware recall? No, but a recall is still a recall as defined by the NHTSA. Case closed!

I need more popcorn! 😇🤣

Seriously?

"I didn't mean to offend you but I'm still calling you dishonest". :D

As @hydbob correctly noted - it *is* a recall. It is not a voluntary recall. It is a full-on NHTSA recall.

Calling it massive is not the complete truth? When nearly every single Tesla ever produced is subject to the recall what else would you call it?

Now if I had posted something like "Tesla Service Departments About To Be Overwhelmed By Massive Recall" that might be construed as disingenuous.

Man up and take the L on this one.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.40.35 PM.png

Before anyone gets upset :D - this is a scene from a movie. Supposedly largely CGI with some actual cars damaged too.

Wifey and I watched "Leave The World Behind" last night and it made me think of the recall.

leave_world_behind_endless_teslastopaz.jpeg

Before anyone gets upset :D - this is a scene from a movie. Supposedly largely CGI with some actual cars damaged too.

Wifey and I watched "Leave The World Behind" last night and it made me think of the recall.

View attachment 17011
Also watched this, and was wondering to myself if this was actually possible. Well maybe not anymore with the recall! 😆 I enjoyed the movie.

Back