Lucids & Lattes- SoCal (LA) Sunday 7/14 - Philz Coffee, 2191 Rosecrans Ave El Segundo CA 90245 8:30AM-10:30AM

Wow.. no front license plates in CA... How do you all get away from that? lol
But you're in CA. Do you have one? No one has stopped me for not having one yet. I think that's been most people's experience. I do have the second plate if I end up being required to install it, or I might go with the decal version

Wow.. no front license plates in CA... How do you all get away from that? lol
I've been driving frontless for 20 years in California. And I've been ticketed twice, both times when the car was parked on the street over the time limit; the front plate ticket was an add-on to a regular parking ticket. I've been stopped for speeding a bunch of times over the years and never been ticketed for the lack of a front plate.

But the main point is that it's a low-cost ticket, with no points when you get one. Something like a $20 administrative fee, but you do have to (temporarily) install a front plate and get a cop to sign off in order to get the fine down to the admin fee.

I've been driving frontless for 20 years in California. And I've been ticketed twice, both times when the car was parked on the street over the time limit; the front plate ticket was an add-on to a regular parking ticket. I've been stopped for speeding a bunch of times over the years and never been ticketed for the lack of a front plate.

But the main point is that it's a low-cost ticket, with no points when you get one. Something like a $20 administrative fee, but you do have to (temporarily) install a front plate and get a cop to sign off in order to get the fine down to the admin fee.
I actually looked it up last night. It's no longer $20. Supposedly it's $197 now.

I actually looked it up last night. It's no longer $20. Supposedly it's $197 now.
Yikes! Maybe they decided to get tougher on the front plate thing as license plate readers are becoming more common.

Still, I just paid $100 for 4 plastic wheel center caps to hide the ugliness of the holes, so maybe $197 isn't such a bad price to avoid the ugliness of a front plate! 🤣

Still, I just paid $100 for 4 plastic wheel center caps to hide the ugliness of the holes, so maybe $197 isn't such a bad price to avoid the ugliness of a front plate! 🤣
That's my opinion on it!

But you're in CA. Do you have one? No one has stopped me for not having one yet. I think that's been most people's experience. I do have the second plate if I end up being required to install it, or I might go with the decal version
I got the license wrap (sticker-ish) thing that's been approved by CA DMV. It doesn't really look aesthetic tbh, but better than drilling and putting a plate on the front bumper.

Guess you could place the front plates on your dashboard. Polar 🐼 has his plates and the decal license in glove compartment in case.
Depending on the cop who is writing the ticket, that may not be good enough. I've gotten a ticket for not having valid registration because the sticker wasn't on the plate yet, even though I showed the offucer the registration tag and offered to put it on the car.

Depending on the cop who is writing the ticket, that may not be good enough. I've gotten a ticket for not having valid registration because the sticker wasn't on the plate yet, even though I showed the offucer the registration tag and offered to put it on the car.
True, and having the plate in the glovebox doesn't protect you from parking enforcers.

Still, it's all about the odds. I've had two tickets in 20 years with no front plate. Even if tickets are now $197, if my experience is typical that's still only an expected cost of about ((2 x $197)/20=) $20/year for no front plate.

Warning: some cities in CA are cashing in. In Glendale, it’s the easiest ticket to write and they’re nailing everyone. Avoid Kenneth Village: literally every hour they’re hitting everyone on that strip.

+1 @northernstar I’m looking at that option. Noticed it in the lineup. My black on black with retro plates won’t be jarring.

Warning: some cities in CA are cashing in. In Glendale, it’s the easiest ticket to write and they’re nailing everyone. Avoid Kenneth Village: literally every hour they’re hitting everyone on that strip.

+1 @northernstar I’m looking at that option. Noticed it in the lineup. My black on black with retro plates won’t be jarring.

Black on black would blend in really nicely!

Every now and then, I feel like my Cosmo Silver Air is whispering to me, "Eww, why is there an ugly-ass-looking license sticker on my face?"
My stern answer to that is, "Well, when in Rome..."

Same here. Just tired of the anxiety and decal plate is the ideal option for me. Just ordered mine.

True, and having the plate in the glovebox doesn't protect you from parking enforcers.

Still, it's all about the odds. I've had two tickets in 20 years with no front plate. Even if tickets are now $197, if my experience is typical that's still only an expected cost of about ((2 x $197)/20=) $20/year for no front plate.
I just placed my order. It’s $120 for legacy CA decal plus tax & shipping $132 out the door. 4-5 weeks.

I was goofing around with the idea of the electronic plates. Now THOSE puppies at $700!!! No thank you.

I just placed my order. It’s $120 for legacy CA decal plus tax & shipping $132 out the door. 4-5 weeks.

I was goofing around with the idea of the electronic plates. Now THOSE puppies at $700!!! No thank you.
I get as many questions about my LPW as I do the Air. I like it.

Back