Speculation Lucid Prepares to Announce Partnership with Hyundai on Electric Motors

Also, Genesis dealers are currently garbage (since they are shared with Hyundai dealers)
They do have a few standalone dealerships up and running - the nearest for me is still around 30 miles away, but I can see a more convenient one being constructed now near Audi and Porsche!

They do have a few standalone dealerships up and running - the nearest for me is still around 30 miles away, but I can see a more convenient one being constructed now near Audi and Porsche!
Same here! Near us, Genesis of Cherry Hill is the nearest. We gave up on shopping a Genesis long before it was constructed though, so I don't actually know what they are like. Hopefully they hire new staff instead of carrying over the Hyundai staff. No disrespect, our Kia dealer was great with the EV9 (although I think they were torturing my parents in the finance room seeing as to how it took 4 hours), but us checking out a Stinger in 2019 at another Kia dealer was possibly the second worst experience we had ahead of Volvo. The salesman unironically talked about how it could match a 911 through the corners (wtf?), that it had a "manual gearbox" (points to paddle shifters), a BMW suspension (???), and all kinds of nonsense I can't remember. When my dad asked to test drive it, they only let us take it around the parking lot and acted like it was a GT3 RS.

As dealers are franchises, your experience at each will vary. This is one of the aspects I like best about Lucid and Tesla's approach. At every studio I visited (granted, only three which would be Short Hills, meatpacking district, and the studio in Zurich), the staff were friendly and knew a bunch of trivia. At most other dealers, I knew more than the salesman, but the Lucid people were super interesting. When the company has direct control over the dealer experience, they can ensure a consistent theme among every single dealer (even those overseas!).

As dealers are franchises, your experience at each will vary. This is one of the aspects I like best about Lucid and Tesla's approach. At every studio I visited (granted, only three which would be Short Hills, meatpacking district, and the studio in Zurich), the staff were friendly and knew a bunch of trivia. At most other dealers, I knew more than the salesman, but the Lucid people were super interesting. When the company has direct control over the dealer experience, they can ensure a consistent theme among every single dealer (even those overseas!).
Very definitely. The dealership model, on the other hand, provides local service options which are not available except via field visits in many, many locations. I am fortunate that I live in a city where there is both a Lucid design center and a service center around ten miles away from my house but many don't. And all the other luxury dealerships are within 3 miles from my house. As you note, experiences will vary greatly on the dealership model, especially at Genesis. But on the remote/Lucid model, there are still locations where the service thrives and locations where it is more questionable. But it is clearly more consistent.

I never understood the deal with not buying a good car because the dealer is low class. For every new car I buy the dealer has been a one time visit.
Many new luxury cars come with several years of "complimentary" maintenance and recalls also should go through the dealership. I don't care about low or high class but do want the facility to be clean, the staff to be helpful and loaners to be roughly equivalent to my car and available. I also don't care about whether the genesis dealership is part of a Hyundai one or a separate facility; I have seen good and bad reports of both. Mine started in a shared facility but has since moved its showroom to a high end outdoor mall and is building a separate service facility. So far, my service has been excellent and equal to what I was getting from BMW.

I guess I've been lucky have never gone back to any dealer after driving the car off. I do all my own service.

I guess I've been lucky have never gone back to any dealer after driving the car off. I do all my own service.

You have been very lucky. I haven't owned a car in the last twenty years -- including Mercedes, Audi, Honda, Tesla, Lucid -- that hasn't had multiple recalls. And, as @Steveinarizona pointed out, that is the exclusive province of dealers and manufacturers. And the Audi R8s I had could only be serviced by a subset of Audi dealers who went through special training and invested in specialized tools. In fact, only the Audi dealer could do oil changes, as the underbody panels had to be dropped to access the oil drain.

Now that you mention recalls I did have a Ford that had an airbag recall. But I'm not going to not buy a car due to dealership.

I'm more worried about the Lucid. No service manuals, wiring diagrams or after market parts availability. It should develop but it does give me pause. Hell I have the part number for the cabin air filter but no one sells them.

Well, I personally think it’ll happen and am loving it. I mean, who doesn’t want a piece of Luci’s amazing power, smoothness and range? Hyundai/Genesis is behind in the launch (by a couple years) so this saves them time 𝓟𝓵𝓾𝓼 they get to be associated with (IMO) thē best EV today.

#GoLuci

Well, I personally think it’ll happen and am loving it. I mean, who doesn’t want a piece of Luci’s amazing power, smoothness and range? Hyundai/Genesis is behind in the launch (by a couple years) so this saves them time 𝓟𝓵𝓾𝓼 they get to be associated with (IMO) thē best EV today.

#GoLuci
Ehhh the only thing the motors can guarantee is the power. The range has much more impactful variables than the motors. Same with the suspensions or smoothness of the vehicle.

Ehhh the only thing the motors can guarantee is the power. The range has much more impactful variables than the motors. Same with the suspensions or smoothness of the vehicle.

There's a good bit more to it than just the power. The compact size and light weight of the Lucid motors would give Genesis much more design flexibility, especially with a sports car. Also, the Lucid motors are more efficient than any other automotive motors and also put lower loads on the cooling system than competing electric motors, thus reducing the size and weight of ancillary systems.

For instance, take a look at the rear drive units of the Lucid Sapphire compared to the Tesla Model S Plaid:

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 2.52.50 PM.png

There's a good bit more to it than just the power. The compact size and light weight of the Lucid motors would give Genesis much more design flexibility, especially with a sports car. Also, the Lucid motors are more efficient than any other automotive motors and also put lower loads on the cooling system than competing electric motors, thus reducing the size and weight of ancillary systems.

For instance, take a look at the rear drive units of the Lucid Sapphire compared to the Tesla Model S Plaid:

View attachment 21034
Well sure but if you decide to stick a 60kw hour battery in the genesis then the efficient motors didn’t do much for range or if you decided to make a box on wheels with zero aero dynamics then efficiency will still suck. Or if you add too much weight then the same thing. My point was it’s a good place to start definitely but you have to have the whole package for range. Same with the suspension. The motors definitely play a part but not nearly as impactful as the other variables.

Well sure but if you decide to stick a 60kw hour battery in the genesis then the efficient motors didn’t do much for range
It has plenty do with it. bigger the motor, heavier it is. The more weight, the less efficient. An efficient powertrain will go way further than an inefficient one.

It has plenty do with it. bigger the motor, heavier it is. The more weight, the less efficient. An efficient powertrain will go way further than an inefficient one.
We may have to agree to disagree here. I get what you are saying 100%. What I’m saying is that other variables are more impactful. That is all. You can have the most efficient motors in the world but without a battery source it doesn’t matter.

Let’s put it this way, if they only changed the motors in any EV in the world to the Lucid motors, do you think that it would be a drastic improvement in range? Like 30+% drastic improvement? Most likely not, maybe 10% if you’re lucky. It’s the whole package and other variables are more important imo. Furthermore, do you think the crappy suspension in the model S would magically be better if it had lucid motors? Nope.

Let’s put it this way, if they only changed the motors in any EV in the world to the Lucid motors, do you think that it would be a drastic improvement in range?

If you just dropped a Lucid motor into an inefficiently-designed car, I agree the motor change would have relatively limited impact. But I think you're overlooking how much powerful, efficient, compact, light-weight motors have to do with the ability to optimize a host of other factors affecting range. They give aerodynamics engineers more ability to shrink the frontal area of the car. They allow smaller battery packs for a given range which, in combination with lower motor weight, significantly affects weight and thus range. They allow more passenger and cargo space for a given body size, again allowing designers to capture more weight and aerodynamic advantages. They allow more flexibility in suspension design and layout. The benefits of smaller, more powerful motors propagate across many other design and engineering elements of a car that bear on range.

Hyundai has its own motor subsidiary and already makes motors for a range of its vehicles. They would likely not consider sourcing Lucid motors (if these spreading press reports are actually true) for its high-end product(s) unless they felt those motors brought something truly significant to the party.

Same here! Near us, Genesis of Cherry Hill is the nearest. We gave up on shopping a Genesis long before it was constructed though, so I don't actually know what they are like. Hopefully they hire new staff instead of carrying over the Hyundai staff. No disrespect, our Kia dealer was great with the EV9 (although I think they were torturing my parents in the finance room seeing as to how it took 4 hours), but us checking out a Stinger in 2019 at another Kia dealer was possibly the second worst experience we had ahead of Volvo. The salesman unironically talked about how it could match a 911 through the corners (wtf?), that it had a "manual gearbox" (points to paddle shifters), a BMW suspension (???), and all kinds of nonsense I can't remember. When my dad asked to test drive it, they only let us take it around the parking lot and acted like it was a GT3 RS.

Oh indeed. I drive my current Kia to be serviced 40 mins away, because the forums recommend this dealer as having competent EV technicians.

The local dealer might have gotten better since but I don't really want to risk it (also it's a nice drive and I WFH so it's a nice excuse to leave the house)

Back