Lucid posts quarterly revenue beat as luxury EV sedan price cuts boost sales

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Stock had a nice run today, but dropped after hours due to mixed results in report.

For the quarter, Lucid reported revenue of $172.7 million, topping expectations of $150.1 million and nearly 16% higher from a year ago. Lucid's loss per share however came in at $0.30, higher than estimates of $0.25,

I don't like seeing Mr. Bell leaving.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506-134010.png
    Screenshot_20240506-134010.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 170
The software situation at Lucid really turned around after his arrival. I wonder what this is about?

Although it seems like a generally good step in terms of earnings, Mike Bell leaving is almost tragic. Does anybody know of possible reasons?

No reason to fret over sensationalized legalese. He's acting as a consultant for the next year to transition the role. Business as usual. He will be missed I'm sure, but this is no reason to panic, life (and business) goes on.
Still not a good look when he spoke about his excitement joining Lucid etc. and is now leaving

Still not a good look when he spoke about his excitement joining Lucid etc. and is now leaving
Everyone's situation changes year to year. Life comes at us all hard and fast and what was 2 years ago has already changed so much.

…….. very RED day for Lucid stock. I was hoping for a jump post earnings report.

They’re losing $300k + per car sold - not sure how anyone thinks volume will solve this problem. It’s like the old SNL skit about the change makers - swapping dollars for dimes, etc, and thinking they are making money through volume. Lucid stock isn’t going anywhere if they are not able to sell 10x the # of cars sold last quarter with costs waaaaayyy less than what they are now - otherwise the bleeding will eventually drain the patient. Doesn’t matter how great the car is - even the Saudis won’t let this formula go on forever. If they lose money on every Gravity sold it won’t be good.

They’re losing $300k + per car sold - not sure how anyone thinks volume will solve this problem. It’s like the old SNL skit about the change makers - swapping dollars for dimes, etc, and thinking they are making money through volume. Lucid stock isn’t going anywhere if they are not able to sell 10x the # of cars sold last quarter with costs waaaaayyy less than what they are now - otherwise the bleeding will eventually drain the patient. Doesn’t matter how great the car is - even the Saudis won’t let this formula go on forever. If they lose money on every Gravity sold it won’t be good.
..You know those figures are including development costs such as R&D, design, and planning, right (which I view as unfair)? That figure has been Edmunded (yes, I made up that word), and I wouldn't suggest relying on it. What I want to see is the difference between the average selling price of the car and the factors that are being paid for with the building of the car, such as materials for the car, tooling (assuming it isn't paid off), etc. That would be far more accurate to me.

Sorry, but the loss per car sold is literally the dumbest metric anyone can use to analyze a new car company. It made no sence in year 1 of production when a few people were claiming that it was costing Lucid a billion dollars per car sold and it makes no sense in year 3, when its still a start up. Maybe in year 7-10 of production will that stat have any relevance whatsoever.

This article was written and published today as well: https://eletric-vehicles.com/lucid/lucid-motors-warns-of-12-month-liquidity-limit-shares-fall-14/

Mix that with the recent departure of Mr. Bell and I think that is enough to plummet the stock a little further.
Yes, let me trust a website called eletric-vehicles.com (a course in spelling could do wonders for them)!

I'm obviously joking, but to be fair I don't think Lucid has much of a chance of going under due to many factors (but mainly the saudis). To my knowledge, development of the Gravity and the midsize car are going on at the same time, so this cash burn rate is somewhat expected to me. Just addressing that specific point in case somebody brings it up. I've got a buy-limit placed at 2.50, so we shall see.

Yes, let me trust a website called eletric-vehicles.com (a course in spelling could do wonders for them)!

I'm obviously joking, but to be fair I don't think Lucid has much of a chance of going under due to many factors (but mainly the saudis). To my knowledge, development of the Gravity and the midsize car are going on at the same time, so this cash burn rate is somewhat expected to me. Just addressing that specific point in case somebody brings it up. I've got a buy-limit placed at 2.50, so we shall see.
I would tend to agree but I think the point they are addressing could cause some scare tactics within the media and some hesitancy for investors. Thus the downward slope of the ticker today.

I would tend to agree but I think the point they are addressing could cause some scare tactics within the media and some hesitancy for investors. Thus the downward slope of the ticker today.
Yup, I can't argue with that. I'm saying that in case somebody here brings up bankruptcy, which they probably will. The "stock media" will almost always be negative towards Lucid for the foreseeable future, as was the case with Tesla, etc.

Loss is expected in a new company.

To get profits you need sales with a higher price than cost.

To get sales you need brand recognition. Getting people to know a brand can be expensive.

Once people know your brand, lower price might be a motivational factor for sales.

Offering low price at a loss was practiced by Uber. Once people know the brand and are hooked with low price, now you can see higher price and even sky rocketed "surge price".

So, intentional loss is not a bad strategy if it it a cost to get the business started.

Back