Lucid Home Charging Station - Starts at 75 MPH, Degrades to 30 MPh

Tagilroy

Tried my LCHC station for the first time in quite a while today. Realize that my free charging at EA is eventually going to end, so it makes sense to get familiar with the process now. Found the charging session started at 75+ MPH, but degraded over time to about 30 MPH. Never had this happen before. Tough to realize after three hours of charging (when I expected process to be nearly complete) that app was then showing 2+ hours remaining to reach full charge, and that charge rate was retarded to 29 MPH. Lucid charger is on 100 amp circuit, and used to be able to charge at 75-80 MPH. Is there a setting in either vehicle or LCHC device that I am not aware of that can cause it to ramp down?

There is a little board in the charger box that controls its amperage setting, but If you were getting the full 75-80 before, I can't imagine that went bad. Could it be temperature? I'd assume the charging might slow (but not by that much) if your charging location is letting the battery get hotter than it was when you were getting the max numbers.

What was your SOC and what as the ambient temperature? I doubt you will see a decrease until into the high 90% SOC range. The Lucid app shows two numbers for charge rate, one is the mi/hr and one is in kW. When the car needs to cool the battery during charging, you will see the mi/hr drop but the input kW will remain constant. Let us know what both numbers were at the beginning and when the charge rate slowed.

I've had the same thing happen to me recently. I've had the Lucid charging station for about 1-1/2 years. It's on its own 100-amp breaker, so it's normally charging at 80 amps (about 72-75 miles of added range per hour). A couple of times recently the charger has dropped from 17-18 kW to about 7 kW, stays at the lower level for awhile, then returns to the higher charging level. See attached photos.

I mentioned this to my mobile Lucid tech, and he said he's heard stories of utilities reducing the power temporarily to people's homes when they see high levels of power being drawn for a fairly long duration of time. I live in Florida and it is summer, but I'm charging the car in the morning so I don't think it's a "preserve power for A/C draws on the system" thing. However, I've never called my utility to ask if this is the case.

IMG_7471.jpg
IMG_7473.jpg

I am guessing that something is getting to hot and the LCHCS or the car is limiting the current. It may bet the connector to the car, how hot does that feel? It may be the connection to the power coming into the LCHCS. You may want to check the torque on those connections.

I've had the same thing happen to me recently. I've had the Lucid charging station for about 1-1/2 years. It's on its own 100-amp breaker, so it's normally charging at 80 amps (about 72-75 miles of added range per hour). A couple of times recently the charger has dropped from 17-18 kW to about 7 kW, stays at the lower level for awhile, then returns to the higher charging level. See attached photos.

I mentioned this to my mobile Lucid tech, and he said he's heard stories of utilities reducing the power temporarily to people's homes when they see high levels of power being drawn for a fairly long duration of time. I live in Florida and it is summer, but I'm charging the car in the morning so I don't think it's a "preserve power for A/C draws on the system" thing. However, I've never called my utility to ask if this is the case.

View attachment 21862View attachment 21863
I've experienced similar. During warmer days I start my charge in the morning after work and usually draw 11kw speed but lately it drops down to 5kw and my garage isn't super hot or th charging cable. I'm thinking my utility company is throttling my charging output.

I've experienced similar. During warmer days I start my charge in the morning after work and usually draw 11kw speed but lately it drops down to 5kw and my garage isn't super hot or th charging cable. I'm thinking my utility company is throttling my charging output.
Huh? How does your utility company know how to throttle the charger?

It is not the utility company. If it were your entire house would slow down or stop. The utility company is not able to go to your electric panel and restrict usage for just one breaker.

It is most likely the car software.

It depends. Sometimes they can:

First off, that article is about smart thermostats which technically could be controlled by the electric company if the owner allowed such access. Second, texas has the worst electric grid and grid management as electric companies are not well regulated and can avoid certain safety costs or grid management costs in lieu of profits.

First off, that article is about smart thermostats which technically could be controlled by the electric company if the owner allowed such access. Second, texas has the worst electric grid and grid management as electric companies are not well regulated and can avoid certain safety costs or grid management costs in lieu of profits.

That's why I said "it depends" and "sometimes". Perhaps the people experiencing the issues with Lucid charging signed up for similar power-management programs with their local utilities. The article did mention other utilities around the country with similar programs, as well as companies, including Google, that have engineered their equipment to be compatible with these management programs. Perhaps one of the questions Lucid needs to answer is whether their charging equipment is thus engineered.

This article used a Texas utility to tee up the subject, but it is a program and a technology that is used elsewhere as well.

The charge port pins can become deformed or dirty over time. The EVSE plug can also get dirty over time. This can increase resistance in the connection and cause the heat sensors to derate the current coming in. If it worked fine when new but is throttling now, this could be the cause. Point a fan at the handle when it is plugged in and see of the speed increases. Sometimes that works.

This is not a Lucid specific problem. It is yet another thing new BEV owners need to be aware of. If the car does not derate the current when heat builds up, the port could melt. Nobody wants that.

That's why I said "it depends" and "sometimes". Perhaps the people experiencing the issues with Lucid charging signed up for similar power-management programs with their local utilities. The article did mention other utilities around the country with similar programs, as well as companies, including Google, that have engineered their equipment to be compatible with these management programs. Perhaps one of the questions Lucid needs to answer is whether their charging equipment is thus engineered.

This article used a Texas utility to tee up the subject, but it is a program and a technology that is used elsewhere as well.
Eh, only sort of. Even if the equipment supports it, the owner would have to give permission to the utility to control it.

I can pretty much guarantee that this isn’t what happened, and that in this case, the mobile tech was making things completely up.

Eh, only sort of. Even if the equipment supports it, the owner would have to give permission to the utility to control it.

That would depend on how the program terms were written and whether it was disclosed to a participant exactly which equipment could be managed by the utility. Many people might have signed up for such a program based on the general sell that it would reduce their power costs and/or protect their service without knowing or inquiring into the details of how it worked and which specific equipment could be controlled.

It is most likely the car software.

I think this probably is the case. We've now got two threads on this issue. Members are reporting it occurring using (1) the Lucid Home Charging Station, (2) a Tesla charger with an adapter, and (3) the Lucid charging cable plugged directly into a 220 volt outlet. This seems to be a recent issue, so I'm wondering if it isn't a "feature" of one of the most recent Lucid software updates.

The same thing happened to me yesterday at home...never noticed it before, but it was over 100 degrees here in NC.

I can pretty much guarantee that this isn’t what happened, and that in this case, the mobile tech was making things completely up.
That’s one of the reasons why I never signed up to get the Austin energy rebate for my Lucid charging station. Too many conditions, including their ability to replace it with one of their chargers at their option (dealbreaker for me). I digress…

I know my charger starts to slow above 90% SOC or so. Would definitely want to monitor a few sessions, or in hot weather, to see if it’s a trend.

View attachment 21862View attachment 21863
I have a ChargePoint chargers ( for my other EV ) on an 80 amp breaker, I get around 33 miles per hour. If I get the Lucid Charger will that increase substantially?

I have a ChargePoint chargers ( for my other EV ) on an 80 amp breaker, I get around 33 miles per hour. If I get the Lucid Charger will that increase substantially?
The ChargePoint Home Flex is rated to be used with a maximum 60 amp breaker! Lucid's LCHCS can be used with a 100 amp breaker and appropriately thicker supply wire.
If installed properly, Lucid's charger can recharge your Air at 80/48 the max rate of the ChargePoint, or 1.67x faster. Twice as fast as a brand X plug-in installation using a 50 amp breaker.

The ChargePoint Home Flex is rated to be used with a maximum 60 amp breaker!
Hard wired ChargePoints are rated to use a 70 or 80 amp breaker, but even with those big breakers, the unit only allows you to set a max output setting of no more than 50 amps, the rated max for that unit. versus 48 amps output on a 60 breaker. That's why CP recommends and most use the 60 breaker. Not worth the bigger wire and breaker to only get two more amps. Those are the ratings on my CP units.

Back