Lucid Gravity Touring - Now Available

The problem is the pricing for the reduced range, battery, and charging speed are pretty significant. With the Air Touring you at-least got more LEG room due to the modules being removed. You also got more efficiency due to lower weight thus the range hit of about 80 for 20 inches did not seem that bad. However with the Gravity your taking a possible 113 Mile loss from 450 to 337 while not getting anymore space on the inside and lowering price by about 15k. That 15k pays for more power 47% (828/560), more range 33% (450/337) more to be exact, and faster charging times 34% (900/670).

FWIW Side note : Battery is also 38% more (123/89).

If you are already spending 100k on an SUV, would you not spend 14.2% more cash for 33% more performance and usability towards the next tier?

The pricing DOES NOT make sense from a quantifiable perspective. If it was 20% cheaper then we are approaching linearity for the reduction in battery capacity towards those usable day to day range, charging, and power capacity numbers.

You would also not have to worry about the competitor being in the same ballpark from you in pricing, range, power, and free supercharging.


 
Last edited:
And for folks in the US that this matters, the Touring weighs under 6000 lbs

This is a problem for section 179 right?

This is actually a Huge difference between touring and GGT for taxes.
Curb weight (weight of the car without anything in it) is not what is used for Section 179. The GVWR, which is curb weight plus maximum payload, is the value that is important for 179.

GGT has a curb weight of 6,072 lbs and a GVWR of 7,321 lbs. About 1,250 lbs is what the GGT can carry. I would assume a similar difference for the Touring which has a curb weight of 5,479 lbs.

TL;DR either trim will be fine for Section 179.
 
Curb weight (weight of the car without anything in it) is not what is used for Section 179. The GVWR, which is curb weight plus maximum payload, is the value that is important for 179.

GGT has a curb weight of 6,072 lbs and a GVWR of 7,321 lbs. About 1,250 lbs is what the GGT can carry. I would assume a similar difference for the Touring which has a curb weight of 5,479 lbs.

TL;DR either trim will be fine for Section 179.
We’ll need to wait and see what the official GVWR says on the doorframe when we get the Touring at the studio. If the sales folks at the studio are right, I was told today that the GVWR would be less than 6000lbs for the Touring but they could be wrong. 🤷🏽‍♂️
 
Full specs attached. I am surprised with the battery capacity (only 89 kWh). At a minimum, they should have kept it at the same size as Air Touring (92 kWh). I don't understand the decision to lower the range so much (compared to every other Lucid out there).
I'm guessing they had to cut down the battery size a lot to reach the desired price point. Especially since the Gravity is larger than the Air, it's a lot more material, tooling, and manufacturing costs
 
What is that based on?

My Air gets 92% of EPA.

The Gravity has not been getting anywhere near the EPA range like the Air. FWIW as I said earlier in this thread the only independent test of the Touring so far is a Motor Trend article where they said they got 264 miles in a 70 mph highway range test on the 5 passenger Touring with the 20/21 wheels.
 
The problem is the pricing for the reduced range, battery, and charging speed are pretty significant. With the Air Touring you at-least got more LEG room due to the modules being removed. You also got more efficiency due to lower weight thus the range hit of about 80 for 20 inches did not seem that bad. However with the Gravity your taking a possible 113 Mile loss from 450 to 337 while not getting anymore space on the inside and lowering price by about 15k. That 15k pays for more power 47% (828/560), more range 33% (450/337) more to be exact, and faster charging times 34% (900/670).

FWIW Side note : Battery is also 38% more (123/89).

If you are already spending 100k on an SUV, would you not spend 14.2% more cash for 33% more performance and usability towards the next tier?

The pricing DOES NOT make sense from a quantifiable perspective. If it was 20% cheaper then we are approaching linearity for the reduction in battery capacity towards those usable day to day range, charging, and power capacity numbers.

You would also not have to worry about the competitor being in the same ballpark from you in pricing, range, power, and free supercharging.


It’s all about choice though. It’s not meant to be a linear relationship between price and value. Value is relative and subject to perception. This gives consumers choice which is always a good thing!
 
It’s all about choice though. It’s not meant to be a linear relationship between price and value. Value is relative and subject to perception. This gives consumers choice which is always a good thing!
Exactly. And I think proportionally with all of the extra weight that comes with up to a 7 seater suv compared to a sedan you need disproportionately a lot more battery (and accompanying price) to keep that range up.

Some people don’t need 450 at a time and can make do just fine with 300. And I think it is in the same ballpark as the competition in that regard. The gravity is a much larger vehicle than the iX or EQS.
 
Imagine if lucid release a " Pure" with 520 mile range? Sell it for 80k

Or a Gravity Pure for 90k and 450 mile range?

I'm sure they would sell pretty well. Why limit range in your volume seller when EV sales will struggle?
 
I just priced out my configuration using the Touring Base, on my 36 month lease I would had saved $7,200 (+/-) Given the additional benefits of the GT no regrets here!
That was exactly my calculation too on my 36mo lease. I don’t know what I would have done if presented with the Touring option when I leased GGT. I do want to see the GVWR published.
 
That was exactly my calculation too on my 36mo lease. I don’t know what I would have done if presented with the Touring option when I leased GGT. I do want to see the GVWR published.
The GVWR will be at least 1000 lbs more than the curb weight, given the car can seat up to 7 at 150 lbs standard weight.
 
Imagine if lucid release a " Pure" with 520 mile range? Sell it for 80k

Or a Gravity Pure for 90k and 450 mile range?

I'm sure they would sell pretty well. Why limit range in your volume seller when EV sales will struggle?
The 300-mile range, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds EV SUV category is very crowded. With so many choices I don't see the Touring moving in high volume when the out the door pricing is still nearing $100K. Most of the alternatives are less expensive and compare well on paper.
 
With stock price dumping, talk of bankrupcy will put off a lot of buyers. Though I don't agree with that Lucid will go bankrupt. Not sure how much this will move sales.
 
The Gravity has not been getting anywhere near the EPA range like the Air. FWIW as I said earlier in this thread the only independent test of the Touring so far is a Motor Trend article where they said they got 264 miles in a 70 mph highway range test on the 5 passenger Touring with the 20/21 wheels.

The EPA range is for mixed driving, including at least half city IIRC, not above-the-speed-limit highway driving.

I agree that more 70mph range is better, and representative of many long trips, but the EPA should probably be publishing a second number for that type of driving. Like "450 miles mixed; 375 miles @ 70mph", or such.
 
The EPA range is for mixed driving, including at least half city IIRC, not above-the-speed-limit highway driving.

I agree that more 70mph range is better, and representative of many long trips, but the EPA should probably be publishing a second number for that type of driving. Like "450 miles mixed; 375 miles @ 70mph", or such.
Definitely. It's more that some cars get closer to their EPA estimates than others. In particular to Lucid the Air seems to get much closer to the EPA range than the Gravity.
 
Seems to me the general sentiment here is “I want almost a GT”s range for less money.” And that flies in the face of the basic math of EVs.

If you want more range (or more hp) that’s what GT is for. It’s literally the only difference. You can configure Touring exactly the same as GT otherwise.

They will easily sell 3x as many Touring as they do GT. The money difference alone opens up a much wider audience.

A “fully loaded”Touring is $20k less than a fully loaded GT. Do you honestly think most people would choose a baseline GT over a fully loaded Touring, just to go a little faster in their 7-passenger family hauler?
 
Definitely. It's more that some cars get closer to their EPA estimates than others. In particular to Lucid the Air seems to get much closer to the EPA range than the Gravity.

Agreed. I'm hoping (perhaps somewhat foolishly) that we see some better numbers next spring/summer when the cars (and tires) are broken in, and folks are testing in 70 degree weather, in the daytime, with no heat.

That said, my first electric vehicle got 240 miles highway range and charged at 150kWh tops, so if the Gravity gets 50% more in both range and charging, and is more awesome in every other way, I won't be complaining. (Funny enough, the original price for the old one, paid by the original buyer, is nearly exactly the same as my configured Gravity price).
 
It seems like the BMW iX3 is going to pose some stiff competition for Lucid. The Gravity has much better packaging and interior space, so for those wanting three actually-usable rows of seating, it's no contest. But iX3 seems to be expected to come in at about 400 miles EPA range, and (considering BMW's EV history) perhaps a real-world range closer to EPA range. And the iX3 seems to be priced quite a lot lower.
 
Back
Top