Lucid Earth (midsize crossover): ready by summer 2027?

True, but Gen4 doesn't come online until the 26-27 season, and Lucid still provides the front drive unit until then. Timing seems right to pivot the racing effort into a production version and reap the engineering gains.
 
Both are said to have V2L and V2H. Here is BMW V2G press release for the iX3

 
Some more details from Acting CEO Winterhoff’s quotes about the Lucid Earth in MotorTrend article.

Looks like they are quite serious about the Earths. “Three “top hats” and one of them will be part of the deal made with Uber. BOM is significantly cheaper than other similar EVs and fewer part count than Tesla!”

 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-09-14 at 1.43.14 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2025-09-14 at 1.43.14 PM.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 227
Interesting article and rendering of the 3 vehicles…is it me or is the front vehicle look like a mini Air and not like a crossover?

Those aren't Lucid's renders. Media can make up as many midsize shapes as they like.
 
Interesting video with Nick Twork, in which he said the Earth will start production at the end of 2026 first in Saudi Arabia and then "eventually" begin production at Casa Grande (11:00):


I wonder if this also means that Earth sales won't launch in the U.S. at the outset of production and, if so, why?

Have the Gravity issues made Lucid more cautious about launching a mass market vehicle prematurely in the home market? Does the U.S. government's new-found hostility to EVs play a role? Or will sales also launch here simultaneously with product supplied from Saudi Arabia?
 
It's because they're getting their batteries from China.
Who? Lucid? They’re getting them from LG and Panasonic which I believe come from within the US and Europe not China
 
Here you go:

Taoufiq Boussaid, Chief Financial Officer:

But we found ourselves in a fortunate space having the option to manufacture a car in KSA. And what it does is that it allows us basically to import from China part of the bill of material without having to incur the significant duty.

So, again, it will be a transition. Things will be shifting. I mean, OEMs and Tier 1s, Tier 2s, Tier 3s are looking at options and relocating their supply chains in North America. It's not something that can happen overnight. It will take some time. But for the time being, and given the time frame that we have to get this car ready, we find ourselves in a very comfortable spot being able to import this bill of material out of that.

Unidentified Participant, Analyst:

And sorry, before we sort of move on to some of the other pros and challenges, but when you say parts, are you mainly talking batteries?

Taoufiq Boussaid, Chief Financial Officer:

Well, batteries are part of it, but I mean there are many other equipments which would be sourced
 
For what it's worth, this seems like a good thing as it'll keep costs lower for European countries. I'm sure they'll start initial production in Casa Grande in mid-to-late 2027, though likely with different suppliers. Seems like they don't want to lock in more expensive suppliers if they don't have to (i.e. if our tariffs change)
 
Nick said in the interview that UX 3.0 would be available to the Air next year. I'm wondering if that means it will be available to all prior year Air sedans or just new ones?
 
Nick said in the interview that UX 3.0 would be available to the Air next year. I'm wondering if that means it will be available to all prior year Air sedans or just new ones?

I doubt that cars with the older computers will support all the features of UX 3.0.

Also, having now lived with the Gravity's software for over five aggravating months, I'd just as soon keep our 2022 Air on its current UX 2.0 software which is finally debugged enough not to be an impediment to enjoying the car's great driving experience.
 
I doubt that cars with the older computers will support all the features of UX 3.0.

Also, having now lived with the Gravity's software for over five aggravating months, I'd just as soon keep our 2022 Air on its current UX 2.0 software which is finally debugged enough not to be an impediment to enjoying the car's great driving experience.
I guess I thought when I upgraded the chip that would enable UX3.0??
 
I doubt that cars with the older computers will support all the features of UX 3.0.

Also, having now lived with the Gravity's software for over five aggravating months, I'd just as soon keep our 2022 Air on its current UX 2.0 software which is finally debugged enough not to be an impediment to enjoying the car's great driving experience.
Hopefully Lucid isn't crazy enough to switch over the Airs before the UX 3.0 software is solid on the Gravity. If they announce a switch in January, run for the hills!
 
I guess I thought when I upgraded the chip that would enable UX3.0??

You may be right. I didn't know you had upgraded the chip. How much difference has it made to the performance of your UI?
 
Not sure I noticed anything really different; maybe interactions are a little faster. My software right now is working as it should and no problems thus far. So maybe I'm just fine as is and don't really need UX3.0??
 
Interesting video with Nick Twork, in which he said the Earth will start production at the end of 2026 first in Saudi Arabia and then "eventually" begin production at Casa Grande (11:00):


I wonder if this also means that Earth sales won't launch in the U.S. at the outset of production and, if so, why?

Have the Gravity issues made Lucid more cautious about launching a mass market vehicle prematurely in the home market? Does the U.S. government's new-found hostility to EVs play a role? Or will sales also launch here simultaneously with product supplied from Saudi Arabia?
What I heard is because of tariffs....by importing from Saudi, they pay less. Also, the cars built in Saudi will be bought by Saudi Gov under the agreement to buy 100k vehicles. Every car built in Saudi will be sold - 150k capacity- sent to Europe, Asia ( when they open sales), Middle East sales, Saudi Gov committment with some cars initially sent to US.
 
Not sure I noticed anything really different; maybe interactions are a little faster. My software right now is working as it should and no problems thus far. So maybe I'm just fine as is and don't really need UX3.0??
Only reason to consider would be if they want to standardize the software stack on all vehicles. Saves cost, time and pain in the long run.

But with just 10-15k, perhaps 30k sales per year when they expand to other countries, is it worthwhile? If solid state batteries pick up in a decade, EV will dominate and Air sales may end up reaching 100k a year. For example, Merc E/S class sells 300k a year in the world. I don't think Lucid will have that much penetration.
 
Back
Top