Lucid Battery Fires

Bcovill

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
The Phoenix Business Journal reported today that the Casa Grande fire department in 2022 has responded to 2 battery fires inside the Lucid plant. My GT often shows temps in my garage of 100-120 degrees, despite its cooling fans turning on frequently. I am exploring adding AC in my garage, as much to save heat abuse on my other cars as to help deal with the Lucid heat issues. Is anyone else concerned about battery fires, particularly in AZ in the summer?

I don't think ambient temperature has much to do with the chances of a battery fire. The cause is usually physical damage (in a car accident), or a cell manufacturing defect.

I am not worried about fires here in AZ but I am worried that the keeping the battery at a high ambient temperature will degrade the life of the battery.

The Phoenix Business Journal reported today that the Casa Grande fire department in 2022 has responded to 2 battery fires inside the Lucid plant. My GT often shows temps in my garage of 100-120 degrees, despite its cooling fans turning on frequently. I am exploring adding AC in my garage, as much to save heat abuse on my other cars as to help deal with the Lucid heat issues. Is anyone else concerned about battery fires, particularly in AZ in the summer?
The battery fires were actually at the drive train facility, not the main plant, according to Business Insider, and there’s no confirmation it was even a car, could have been a new prototype battery tech for all we know. From what I read it said the battery itself was submerged in water, so must not have even been part of a car? Rivian and Canoo have had factory battery fires also.

Back