Lucid app update v1.49.0

Polar 🐼 and Juno 🐻‍❄️ finally updated to IOS 1.49 thank you Mr. Borski
IOS 1.49, interesting... do they only have original iPhones running original software in Antarctica for the polar bears to enjoy?

IOS 1.49, interesting... do they only have original iPhones running original software in Antarctica/the North Pole for the polar bears to enjoy?
I’m sure he meant app version of 1.49.0. Polar bears might be hungry during this time 🤪

Last time I checked the available POI filters from Apple's POI services, I don't _think_ you can get this granular (per what the Lucid filters reveal). I'll have to double back/check that.

It would be super odd for them to mix match POI data in the vehicle with the mobile app and they do have the "share" functionality which does present legal issues if that data is used to render on _any_ competitor in any environment (like POI data from Apple Maps on your phone sent to HEREMaps in vehicle..)...

You can search by EVChargers, but you cannot get brand specific: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemapsserverapi/common_objects, which they are definitely doing.

View attachment 20159
I have no idea. I haven’t touched anything map-related since I ran GoRentDog in 2011 (don’t ask, not worth it lmao).

But, I’ll add that Mike Bell came from Apple, so it’s entirely possible there is also some sweetheart deal if there were a legal concern. I have absolutely no idea, and that’s pure speculation.

I have no idea. I haven’t touched anything map-related since I ran GoRentDog in 2011 (don’t ask, not worth it lmao).
I wasn't going to ask until you told me not to ask (don't ask), so now I'm curious: Who actually rented a dog (I didnt even know that was legal..)? And who picked that name?!? 🤣

Last edited:
I wasn't going to ask until you told me not to ask, so now I'm curious: Who would ever need to rent a dog? Is that even legal? And who picked that name?!? 🤣
We crowdsourced rent prices so you could compare yours against others to see if you were getting a good deal, and find better prices. A dog was our mascot. She was adorable.

You did not rent dogs, no matter how many emails you sent me asking me to do just that lol

The name was picked because it was an MVP. It likely would have changed if we’d continued it, but then I started Tinfoil in 2011, which I then sold to Synopsys in January 2020 (apparently I can predict the future, because selling then was roughly 2-3 orders of magnitude more lucrative than selling a month or two later at the height of the pandemic), left in January 2022, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone seeing any new features/functionality? From a quick through, it seems mostly cosmetic? Definitely nice and smooth though!
Nope - other than the 3D spinning car, it’s entirely an “under the hood” release.

Years ago, some Apple geniuses got it into their heads that training iOS users to "Quit all their apps" was somehow not a terrible idea. Trust me, it's a terrible idea. You should never force quit an app unless it is seriously misbehaving. The iOS memory management system will take care of quitting any processes it needs to quite well without human intervention.
Once upon a time, this was a good idea, back before iOS managed it for you. That time was 2008 or so. That time has long since passed.

This is something we'll have to disagree on. Due to background system abuse amongst many other things, I would highly encourage force killing apps you don't explicitly need to function in the background. For the longest time, Snapchat was abusing some web socket VOIP loopholes through background process to work around some API gaps. The only way to kill the process or disallow it from happening (telling the OS it shouldn't be allowed) was force quitting via the user. The gap was eventually closed by Apple, but these things are rampart with big tech and nefarious. You definitely don't need to force kill everything (especially if there's functionality that should work outside of the app being in the foreground), but it's not a bad habit for apps you don't trust at all.
Nope. It is, in general, a bad idea. Don’t do it. That Snapchat cheated / hacked a way around the system means they’ll eventually get caught and those bugs will get fixed, and it will build in bad habits for most users that they won’t be able to break.

You might be able to break it. My mom definitely won’t.

So no, just don’t do it.

I'm all for fixing bugs, but this is a weird take. The android widget is just a shortcut to open the app . . . and there isn't any wearable support at all.
The widget on iOS is the same. Shows some data, and then clicking anything pops open the app.

The difference is: yours worked. Ours has disappeared for the last 5-6 months after 5-10 minutes, every time.

So yeah - this is a bug fix release for iOS, but a *huge* one, given that it’s a total rewrite.

But it shouldn’t give Android folks FOMO at all. I know it’s unusual, but we iOS folks have been the plebes these last few months. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I once read that quitting an app to "save power" actually could use MORE power than just leaving it alone, atleast on iPhones. Is this true? Also, there isn't a meaningful difference in RAM saved, right?
You’re correct.

Ours has disappeared for the last 5-6 months after 5-10 minutes, every time
ahhh I didn't realize that. And with iOS relatively aggressive limitations on out of process tasks, that probably also meant the mobile key was less reliable (or at least slower)?

We crowdsourced rent prices so you could compare yours against others to see if you were getting a good deal, and find better prices. A dog was our mascot. She was adorable.

You did not rent dogs, no matter how many emails you sent me asking me to do just that lol

The name was picked because it was an MVP. It likely would have changed if we’d continued it, but then I started Tinfoil in 2011, which I then sold to Synopsys in January 2020 (apparently I can predict the future, because selling then was roughly 2-3 orders of magnitude more lucrative than selling a month or two later at the height of the pandemic), left in January 2022, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Ah, that business name/idea makes MUCH more sense than what I thought it was. The domain name does end up being very unfortunate, and I can't believe you guys didn't get into some kind of trouble with that 🤣

Nope. It is, in general, a bad idea. Don’t do it. That Snapchat cheated / hacked a way around the system means they’ll eventually get caught and those bugs will get fixed, and it will build in bad habits for most users that they won’t be able to break.
Professionally speaking, I'm in 100% disagreement with this. I have more than enough insight and experience in this area to just no that any assumption this isn't a thing anymore for the most popular companies is an incorrect statement + no. It's just factually untrue as an assertion.

Heck, I've personally added this type of stuff professionally due to business needs I couldn't dispute.

There's a naive statement that says don't do this, then there's the facts of what doing it prevents by doing this. There's the balance of users understanding when it's appropriate to do and when it isn't. Telling users that it doesn't do anything and most companies they're using products for don't abuse ignorance in these areas -- that's a lie. Telling users that most app don't need to be force closed is true. Telling users that most of the apps they use don't need to be force closed for reasons -- that's statistically a lie.

Heck, I've been on the side of using some Darwin commands for app scanning in an iOS app. You'd be surprised what you can do when you work with a slew of smart engineers and a bad business/ethics model. You'd be really surprised on what you could do if you've done OWASP testings to the extent I have.

Last edited:
ahhh I didn't realize that. And with iOS relatively aggressive limitations on out of process tasks, that probably also meant the mobile key was less reliable (or at least slower)?
There's a lot of things that make Paak slow for all manufacturers unfortunately. Ironically, Tesla has bypassed some of this at the sake of security.

But quite a few OEMs use iBeacon like technology to wake up your phone and have quite rigorous rules on filtering distance for security reasons. iOS has also been buggy over the past years waking up apps from a cold start via BLE functionality. It's why Apple's CardKey stuff is very attractive...

Hopefully Lucid will add Dynamic Island and Live Activities to Lock Screen for charging status. Rivian added this with previous updates and it's very useful. Here's what it looks like for Rivian while charging. When it's not charging, nothing is visible. You still have widget access as will.

IMG_5843.jpg
IMG_5842.jpg

There's a lot of things that make Paak slow for all manufacturers unfortunately.
I've always thought that car manufacturers would be better off inverting the whole model. Stuff some big 2.4ghz antennas into the car and listen for known clients wifi probe frames. When it sees a known client, the car begins a "soft wakeup" and tells the Lucid servers to check the client phone location and push a notification, pulling the Lucid app to foreground processing.

But now UWB is making that idea comically obsolete so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always thought that car manufacturers would be better off inverting the whole model. Stuff some big 2.4ghz antennas into the car and listen for known clients wifi probe frames. When it sees a known client, the car begins a "soft wakeup" and tells the Lucid servers to check the client phone location and push a notification, pulling the Lucid app to foreground processing.
In the case where the car is parked, unplugged, at the owner's home - I suspect a common case - how would you protect against the telematics module etc being awake all the time? Nowadays an academic point of course...

In the case where the car is parked, unplugged, at the owner's home - I suspect a common case - how would you protect against the telematics module etc being awake all the time? Nowadays an academic point of course...

The cool thing about the telematics module being "always on" would be that the car would always be awake instantly when you opened the app, including when the car is on WiFi .

Apple watch app updated as well, can now add widget for charge status.

It would be protected against by the nature of 802.11 (in theory). WLAN connections are _always_ initiated by the client probe frame. Receiving and parsing that signal is a very low-power task, certainly less than the current model where the the car acts as a client and sends its own probe frames.

tbh the fact that it's not done this way makes me think maybe there's like an FCC regulation against it maybe

Back