Lucid Air GT vs Tesla Model X Plaid

California'sBest

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-P
Hi All - I'm new here!

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm so torn between these two cars. I know it's a bit of an odd comparison given that the Lucid Air GT is a sedan and the Model X Plaid is a crossover SUV but I figured since there's probably quite a few ex-Tesla owners here, wanted to get some objective thoughts about what they miss about their Tesla and what they love about their Lucid. The biggest worry for me over anything else is the charging network. I'm in California so I know the infrastructure for even EA is probably better than most states but Tesla has charging stations everywhere and stations now that have 50+ stalls. I'd feel a little better about the Lucid if some of you who've done long road trips in the Lucid can share your experiences with charging at EA stations. I know also (while it's a way off and there's only a few stations that are open to this thus far, Tesla is going to be opening up their network to non Teslas).

In having test drove both the last week or so, I can say the Lucid Air GT drives much more smooth (even without the Adaptive suspension) and handles better than the Model X Plaid. That is a huge plus for me as my number one thing with a car is ride quality first and foremost. I'm also so really impressed with the spaciousness of the interior of the Lucid in comparison to the X. I do prefer that the X had an option for entertainment like theater mode that the Tesla has but I know they can always release that in the future with a new UX. The back seat comfort of the Lucid is far, far superior to me than the captains chairs of the X. It feels more in comparison with an S Class when you're sitting in the back seats of the Lucid. Also that Nappa leather in the GT is top notch feeling, I definitely like it much better than the Vegan leather in the X.

One thing I noticed in driving both, and maybe this is just me, but the Lucid feels heavier (or maybe it's just because it's lower to the ground).

Lastly the killer thing about the Lucid over the X is the range factor. Even with the 21" wheels it's still kills the range of the X Plaid. I was driving the X Plaid for almost an hour and split between Sport and Plaid mode. The amount of juice eaten up by that thing in that short period of time was a little disappointing.

Anyway, just wanted to get former X Plaid owners/Current Lucid owners thoughts on what they like/dislike about each car over the other if anything. I'm mostly leaning towards the Lucid at this point if you can't tell by my thoughts above.

I have had my GT for 9 months. I looked at and drove the S Plaid before I ordered the Lucid. I don't think there is any comparison from a driving standpoint. Lucid feels like a luxury sedan and drives like a sports car. I have had few problems...less than most new cars I have purchased...and can't say enough good things about it. I am not a music fan but Apple Car play makes sinking with my i-phone easy. Service when I needed it was fantastic. I just wish they had more show rooms so more people could drive it. Mike.

I have been also driving Lucid GT for last 10 months. I agree with the previous comment - there is no comparison in between two. Lucid is amazing and is by far a much better looking and a better driving car. I bought a Bentley and a Lucid nearly at the same time, I can tell you that I have received way many more complements for Lucid. Lucid feels heavy if drive in the regular mode, but is way much better when you switch to faster modes. Yes, I do miss the Android Auto integration as well.

I've only had the chance to drive the Model 3 (performance and non-performance) in the Tesla lineup.

Things I liked about the Model 3 that should be uniform for the Tesla models: Tesla plugin at a charger (nothing else about the charging experience) without fiddling with a screen, EQ settings for music (not the sound system itself), and mixing of preferences for steering, acceleration, etc. (nothing else with the driving experience).

I was wholly unimpressed by whatever the not Autopilot but still Highway Assist equivalent was. Every time you change lanes you have to turn the assistance back on in the Tesla. If you buy the full version, then maybe you can do auto lane change and hope Tesla does not disable features/hardware you paid for (an article floating somewhere about them disabling radars). There is also no audio indicator for blind spot detection in the rental I have that almost led to a crash (my fault being in a new car and assuming but I expected a loaded Tesla to give an audio cue). The handling of curves feels steady and smooth in the Lucid versus the Tesla (stronger turns followed by weaker turns followed by stronger turns throughout the turn).

Handling feeling heavier is probably a mix of a very grounded car and some additional weight, but I would take this over the floatier feeling when under high acceleration of a Tesla. Never been in an Model X, so I cannot speak to that model specifically. I find myself uninterested in flooring the Model 3 Performance because of the lack of stability unlike the Lucid that feels instinctual and joyous every time. The acceleration drops off post-60 in the Model 3 Performance as well. Again, the Model X may differ.

Efficiency. I will not claim to be the most spirited of drivers, but I would say I can safely claim frequent use of the full torque available to the Lucid with any given chance. The efficiency manages to stay slightly above 3 miles per kwhr with 21". 2.7-2.9 in the colder months for a particularly hilly commute with stop and go (best average being mid-3s with conservative driving). The longer drives though with infrequent bursts can easily achieve higher efficiency with high average speeds (75-85 mph).

UI/UX feels awful even after having the Model 3 for several days. I much prefer the Lucid with manual controls for the critical parts (sound, climate, etc.). Not having a screen in direct line of sight continues to be irksome, again a matter of preference.

Charging has not been awful with Electrify America. The experience has been getting better with long trips being no issue. My only advice would be to be flexible and keep in mind any last minute changes for options if you like to push the battery pack. You will need to get the conversion things to utilize non-Tesla stations. As for the use of Tesla stations, the current versions have the Lucid capped at 50kwhr until higher ampage stations are deployed.

I think that covers everything. Let me know.

Hi All - I'm new here!

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm so torn between these two cars. I know it's a bit of an odd comparison given that the Lucid Air GT is a sedan and the Model X Plaid is a crossover SUV but I figured since there's probably quite a few ex-Tesla owners here, wanted to get some objective thoughts about what they miss about their Tesla and what they love about their Lucid. The biggest worry for me over anything else is the charging network. I'm in California so I know the infrastructure for even EA is probably better than most states but Tesla has charging stations everywhere and stations now that have 50+ stalls. I'd feel a little better about the Lucid if some of you who've done long road trips in the Lucid can share your experiences with charging at EA stations. I know also (while it's a way off and there's only a few stations that are open to this thus far, Tesla is going to be opening up their network to non Teslas).

In having test drove both the last week or so, I can say the Lucid Air GT drives much more smooth (even without the Adaptive suspension) and handles better than the Model X Plaid. That is a huge plus for me as my number one thing with a car is ride quality first and foremost. I'm also so really impressed with the spaciousness of the interior of the Lucid in comparison to the X. I do prefer that the X had an option for entertainment like theater mode that the Tesla has but I know they can always release that in the future with a new UX. The back seat comfort of the Lucid is far, far superior to me than the captains chairs of the X. It feels more in comparison with an S Class when you're sitting in the back seats of the Lucid. Also that Nappa leather in the GT is top notch feeling, I definitely like it much better than the Vegan leather in the X.

One thing I noticed in driving both, and maybe this is just me, but the Lucid feels heavier (or maybe it's just because it's lower to the ground).

Lastly the killer thing about the Lucid over the X is the range factor. Even with the 21" wheels it's still kills the range of the X Plaid. I was driving the X Plaid for almost an hour and split between Sport and Plaid mode. The amount of juice eaten up by that thing in that short period of time was a little disappointing.

Anyway, just wanted to get former X Plaid owners/Current Lucid owners thoughts on what they like/dislike about each car over the other if anything. I'm mostly leaning towards the Lucid at this point if you can't tell by my thoughts above.
I love the way the Lucid drives but I really miss the height that I got in my model x. The Lucid is so low that it's hard to get parking tickets through the window and I have to go through a special entrance at my office to avoid scraping the bottom.

Can you wait for the Gravity? Sounds like that's what you really want :cool:
Trust me I definitely want the Gravity but judging by how long it's taking just to formally announce it and open up reservations, I'd rather get something now (because I cannot stand the Model Y given how terrible the ride quality is) and trade it in whenever the Gravity arrives which could be at the end of 2024 or later for all we know.

I had a Tesla model S Plaid, and Tesla model Y and used to drive model S before that. What I would say is Lucid is just a much more refined car 🚗 it comes from the mind of a person who thinks people need luxury. The car ride is smooth ride a Tesla it’s bumps all day long Tesla never got their suspensions completely figured out. Ride a lucid it’s smooth to say the least. I would Seriously rent both for a week and see which one you enjoy the most. You could even choose the Tesla and resale value on Tesla is okay and get a used Lucid later on if you felt you made a mistake or vice versa. Tesla has better software hands down and way less bugs but hey that’s first adoption and first car maker it’s getting better

I owned a 2019 Model S +Ludicrous (Raven) that I was quite happy with, prior to feeling that Tesla was changing in ways that I didn’t like and wanting to find something to replace it. I’ve had my Air Grand Touring since mid-April and never looked back. I live the car, I’m still excited to drive it and finding excuses to take it for errands and longer drives. I am all in for the Lucid Air, and no regrets about leaving Tesla.

I had a Tesla model S Plaid, and Tesla model Y and used to drive model S before that. What I would say is Lucid is just a much more refined car 🚗 it comes from the mind of a person who thinks people need luxury. The car ride is smooth ride a Tesla it’s bumps all day long Tesla never got their suspensions completely figured out. Ride a lucid it’s smooth to say the least. I would Seriously rent both for a week and see which one you enjoy the most. You could even choose the Tesla and resale value on Tesla is okay and get a used Lucid later on if you felt you made a mistake or vice versa. Tesla has better software hands down and way less bugs but hey that’s first adoption and first car maker it’s getting better
I care first and foremost about Ride quality. I think based on my test drive with the Lucid and having test drove both the S and X as well as owning a Y, the Lucid drove the smoothest. I was shocked when the rep told me there was no air suspension. It really feels like BMW/Benz/Audi quality suspension.

I'm already sold on Lucid at this point, I've moved forward with a purchase.

I care first and foremost about Ride quality. I think based on my test drive with the Lucid and having test drove both the S and X as well as owning a Y, the Lucid drove the smoothest. I was shocked when the rep told me there was no air suspension. It really feels like BMW/Benz/Audi quality suspension.

I'm already sold on Lucid at this point, I've moved forward with a purchase.
Ride quality is what you have to face day to day excellent choice !!

Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. I just want to reinforce staying away, well away from the Model X of any year, of any derivation. Tesla have still not figured out the “juddering” that inevitably appears at around 20,000 miles, coming from the two front half shafts. Tesla used to humour Model X owners by replacing them under warranty. But the problem would recur. These days Tesla will tell you that the juddering suspension is no longer a suspension design flaw, but a design feature.

Stay well away.

Post Script - I too, am waiting for the Gravity. Thankfully I already have my Air GT to tide me over.

Which path will you choose??

IMG_7884.jpeg

I drove my Tesla model Y for 2 years (50,000 miles) and loved it - that is, up until I took delivery of my Lucid Grand Touring on 12.12.22. No comparison. Yes, when I first test drove the Lucid I too thought it felt “heavy”. I now view it as earth hugging…..handling corners without a cry of distress. And yes, the Tesla is butt-ugly.

It’s a little painful now switching from my wife Model Y and my GT. The cheap feelings get very strong in the Y but the ac is so good. Give and take

Good reminders on here as to why I sold my refreshed Model S after one year of ownership and moved to the Lucid. Ride quality was the biggest factor for the switch but little things like poking at the screen five times to try to hit the tiny arrow to turn up the heat & then having it go up by 10 degrees accidentally, lane centering turning off when switching lanes & not turning back on after every time, and the terrible wiper sensors that had them on fastest setting in a mist and on slow in a downpour. Like I said, little things but those are what add up in day-to-day driving.

I have a model Y which i loved driving until my wife bought a lucid GT. Now i hate tesla every time i drive my wife’s car . Lucid is a better car compared to tesla in every aspect except the software part

Back