Lucid Air GT Has Been Out of Commission for going on 3 Weeks

h_squared

Cars
Taycan 4S, Air GT
Hello,
In this post I'm going to share my experience thus far on having a dead Lucid Air GT. Overall, Lucid has communicated well and is working to address the problem. But, I wanted to share this information to learn if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue and share my experience with the community.

I picked up my Air GT back in mid-October 2022 from the Tysons Corner, VA studio. It was great for the first two weeks then just stopped working, the 12V battery was dead. Fortunately, this happened while it was parked in my garage. A service technician came out and attempted to jump start it to no avail. I waited 4 or 5 days for transport to get coordinated so the car could be brought down from my home in central Maryland to Dorns Automotive near Richmond, VA. They were unable to properly diagnose and address the problem there so after about another week the car was transported to the Lucid center in Chicago where it remains.

First, I will say that it seems like coordinating transport is very challenging. Lucid arranged for both a flatbed tow truck and an enclosed trailer to transport the car. The plan was to use the tow truck to get the vehicle out of the garage and put it into the enclosed trailer. The gentleman with the trailer arrived first and, unfortunately, he had to wait hours for the flatbed operator to arrive. While he was waiting he decided he would try to jump the 12V with his jumper box. Mind you, this is precisely what the Lucid tech attempted earlier that week with no success.

This time the trailer driver was able to get the battery enough juice to start the vehicle. With that success, we were able to put the car in neutral and push it out of the garage. The car would not remain powered on for very long so we had to continuously jump the 12V. However, with each subsequent jump the car shut down more quickly it seemed and the parking brake became engaged each time it lost power.

After much frustration, I called an individual at Lucid (whose name escapes me now) and he was able to talk us through how to unplug a cable located on the drivers side of the trunk under the mat. In order to do this we had to operate quickly before the car shut off in order to a) Open the trunk, b) Put the car in neutral, and c) Unplug the cable before the car shut off to prevent the parking brake from engaging. In case you find yourself in this situation, it is the rear-most connection. It would have been nice if Lucid had documented this procedure on Youtube or elsewhere because we spent a long time trying to figure out how to move the car and repeatedly jumping the 12V. I think there is a tow-mode option in the newest update but my car hadn't been updated yet plus the car may not have remained powered on long enough to navigate the menus.

Finally, we got the car on the flatbed and then proceeded to move it to the enclosed trailer. Don't ask me why we didn't just put it in trailer from the get-go. I don't know. From there, the car was on its way to VA.

After about another week I got a phone call saying the car had to be moved to Lucid's Chicago location. The technician on the phone said they suspected an issue with the "micro DC to DC converter" and that accessing this part required the removal of the battery pack. Although, that may not be the root cause as I understand the engineering team is having the technicians run through more diagnostic steps.

So, that's about where it stands at the moment with the car in Chicago and root cause analysis ongoing. It sounds like it may still be some time before I get the car back. I'm a bit nervous that they need to disassemble a significant portion of the car. Overall, I think Lucid has done a good job communicating with me on this and all I can do know is place trust in the process.

Has anyone else experience a similar issue?

Hello,
In this post I'm going to share my experience thus far on having a dead Lucid Air GT. Overall, Lucid has communicated well and is working to address the problem. But, I wanted to share this information to learn if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue and share my experience with the community.

I picked up my Air GT back in mid-October 2022 from the Tysons Corner, VA studio. It was great for the first two weeks then just stopped working, the 12V battery was dead. Fortunately, this happened while it was parked in my garage. A service technician came out and attempted to jump start it to no avail. I waited 4 or 5 days for transport to get coordinated so the car could be brought down from my home in central Maryland to Dorns Automotive near Richmond, VA. They were unable to properly diagnose and address the problem there so after about another week the car was transported to the Lucid center in Chicago where it remains.

First, I will say that it seems like coordinating transport is very challenging. Lucid arranged for both a flatbed tow truck and an enclosed trailer to transport the car. The plan was to use the tow truck to get the vehicle out of the garage and put it into the enclosed trailer. The gentleman with the trailer arrived first and, unfortunately, he had to wait hours for the flatbed operator to arrive. While he was waiting he decided he would try to jump the 12V with his jumper box. Mind you, this is precisely what the Lucid tech attempted earlier that week with no success.

This time the trailer driver was able to get the battery enough juice to start the vehicle. With that success, we were able to put the car in neutral and push it out of the garage. The car would not remain powered on for very long so we had to continuously jump the 12V. However, with each subsequent jump the car shut down more quickly it seemed and the parking brake became engaged each time it lost power.

After much frustration, I called an individual at Lucid (whose name escapes me now) and he was able to talk us through how to unplug a cable located on the drivers side of the trunk under the mat. In order to do this we had to operate quickly before the car shut off in order to a) Open the trunk, b) Put the car in neutral, and c) Unplug the cable before the car shut off to prevent the parking brake from engaging. In case you find yourself in this situation, it is the rear-most connection. It would have been nice if Lucid had documented this procedure on Youtube or elsewhere because we spent a long time trying to figure out how to move the car and repeatedly jumping the 12V. I think there is a tow-mode option in the newest update but my car hadn't been updated yet plus the car may not have remained powered on long enough to navigate the menus.

Finally, we got the car on the flatbed and then proceeded to move it to the enclosed trailer. Don't ask me why we didn't just put it in trailer from the get-go. I don't know. From there, the car was on its way to VA.

After about another week I got a phone call saying the car had to be moved to Lucid's Chicago location. The technician on the phone said they suspected an issue with the "micro DC to DC converter" and that accessing this part required the removal of the battery pack. Although, that may not be the root cause as I understand the engineering team is having the technicians run through more diagnostic steps.

So, that's about where it stands at the moment with the car in Chicago and root cause analysis ongoing. It sounds like it may still be some time before I get the car back. I'm a bit nervous that they need to disassemble a significant portion of the car. Overall, I think Lucid has done a good job communicating with me on this and all I can do know is place trust in the process.

So sorry to read about your situation. At the very least, LUCID should have provided you with a loaner. Did they? Did they offer one? Did you ask for one? Just curious,. when the tech tried to jump start, did he remove a panel behind the rear passenger wheel to access the battery posts?

So sorry to read about your situation. At the very least, LUCID should have provided you with a loaner. Did they? Did they offer one? Did you ask for one? Just curious,. when the tech tried to jump start, did he remove a panel behind the rear passenger wheel to access the battery posts?
Yes, they did offer to provide a loaner or rental which I declined because I didn't need it. I requested that they cover the payments which they seem to be willing to do. Yes, both the Lucid tech and the trailer operator attempted to jump the 12V via the battery O ring connectors accessible via the rear passenger wheel well.

Hello,

Do a search on 12v and you’ll find a few

Hello,

My GT has been in service for past 5 weeks. Not sure if it was 12v- had a "urgent battery system fault" car will shut down in 5 minutes - get to a safe place." I did - and it did indeed brick at 5 minutes. Towed to Boston for a week then towed to Mechanicsville VA where it remains untouched. 5 weeks - I guess waiting for parts. Gave me a loaner Tesla Model 3. Hoping to get back by end of November? We'll see- told I needed a whole new battery? But this not confirmed... Will keep you posted..

Sorry to hear about your issues. You have to constantly keep inquiring and escalate to get better service on these kinds of issues. It seems when it comes to the few battery issues they are like Deer In Headlights not knowing how to proceed. Good Luck.

I don’t know why some owners are lucky and others are unlucky. My lone genuinely alarming event was a few weeks into ownership also, got the turtle icon, power was dramatically reduced to having to floor it to go 25mph, then suddenly after limping around the neighborhood everything went back to normal and I’ve had no problems aside from minor trim/software issues that seem to be the most common complaint. I have heard tell of a redesign for the WunderBox/HV battery interface so I’m wondering if your vehicle will need that particular intervention or if it’s another problem. Sorry you’re without your car, and I feel bad for the owners who have had this happen (hope I’m not next haha, so far at 10,400 miles I’ve been spared!)

My relatively new BMW motorcycle was damaged in early July when an unlicensed driver at a 4 way stop took his turn to go, and turned left into my motorcycle stopped behind the white line, that is he cut the corner big time and clipped me. I wasn't damaged when the bike and I rolled over, but there was a few thousand $ of damage. Got the bike back from the shop with nearly everything fixed earlier this month, but we're still waiting for one nonessential part replacement. July till now. The logistics systems for many things, not just Lucid cars, are currently still operating poorly. But well back in the early Tesla days, parts were prioritized for building new cars, not replacing parts for damaged cars.
Logistics, and startups. I know it's tough, but take a breath.

I don’t know why some owners are lucky and others are unlucky. My lone genuinely alarming event was a few weeks into ownership also, got the turtle icon, power was dramatically reduced to having to floor it to go 25mph, then suddenly after limping around the neighborhood everything went back to normal and I’ve had no problems aside from minor trim/software issues that seem to be the most common complaint. I have heard tell of a redesign for the WunderBox/HV battery interface so I’m wondering if your vehicle will need that particular intervention or if it’s another problem. Sorry you’re without your car, and I feel bad for the owners who have had this happen (hope I’m not next haha, so far at 10,400 miles I’ve been spared!)
Same here. My car is #185, so older and I had the one "turtle" incident that lasted about 1-20 seconds.

Wow, I hope that I didn't just jinx myself! :eek:

Hello,

I experienced a near identical scenario. My Air GT was garaged and going through the 2.0.X update series. During the 2.0.14 update I lost connection with the car from the app. Went to inspect the car and it was unresponsive. Customer Care sent a tow the next day and we had to do the the 12v jump, put in in neutral, push the car out of the garage to the flatbed sequence. It was been at the Millbrae center for just over three weeks. The service manager said the HV battery has to be replaced. Uncertain yet if the wunder box as well. I don’t have a firm ETA on completion.

I have had a 2022 GT since November 2022. I am scheduled for annual service. I am told Lucid is going to change out my battery even though I have had no problems. Anyone know why?

I have had a 2022 GT since November 2022. I am scheduled for annual service. I am told Lucid is going to change out my battery even though I have had no problems. Anyone know why?
In some of the OTAs last year, Lucid created additional diagnostics to find issues before any failures occur. It seems that those diagnostics are telling Lucid that your battery is likely to have an issue so they are proactively replacing it.

Yeah this happened to me, they have different types of faults they’ve detected remotely, with some having very low likelihood of failure but possible, to high likelihood of failure, so they’re pre-emptively replacing all those batteries and WunderBox. Yours must be the small risk of failure type, otherwise they would have said bring the car in ASAP. They came and picked mine up and swapped it for a loaner so I think mine was more likely to fail, they found a ground isolation fault in a single module on testing. They were so good at communicating and arranging the car swap I was barely inconvenienced, and at 18k miles got a new battery.

Back