Lucid Air Grand Touring Gets Even Better for 2024

Yup this confirms that GTP/Sapphire cell chemistry did indeed charge faster. Now that the enhancements being brought down to GT, we know it’s 15-30% faster

I wonder if they put the larger 118kw battery in the GT as well
So I just did a calculation using the previous 485 mile figure I saw. Using 516/118 to get the mi/kwh and then multiplying that by 112 ("old" gt capacity), we get 489 miles of range, which is very close to 485 (margin of error between estimates). So yes, I do think it is indeed 118 kwh as you say!

They have switched to using the sapphire/GTP cell chemistry which supports higher charging speeds. Unfortunately I don’t think they’ll be able to increase charging speed for existing cars since we have the cheaper batteries
that sounds like a hardware upgrade, so it can't be offered to older cars via a software update. oh well.

GT-P has been discontinued for a while, yeah. Makes sense not to sneak up on Sapphire territory with lower trims.
Excuse me but that was DE territory before it was Sapphire territory... :p

This is why I don't think they will limit the Dream Edition for the Gravity to so few vehicles. If they limit it at all. The 520 number was cute, but it probably cost them quite a few sales at a time when demand was higher. They'll want to put more butts in Dream Edition Gravity seats.

Making production limited makes people want it more and makes customers hit the "buy" button quicker. Just ask Porsche and Ferrari.

They may be sold out if you think about it for a month. Or a week. They might actually sell less if they don't limit production.

I think the heat pump is a great upgrade for the GT. It'll further help differentiate the trim and give people even more reason to upgrade. And it shows clearly Lucid means to get more out of their investment in the Sapphire project by bringing down their learnings to lower trims as they go. I'm excited to see such a change happening only a few years into production. Gives me hope we'll see the Gravity screen layout and computer upgrade sooner rather than later on the Air.

The other trims will still get industry-leading range. Lucid can keep the pricing for both at the new lower bound.

Between the heat pump and massaging seats, I have all the reason I need to think about a GT next time for sure, though.
Tells me to not buy the first version of anything 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪

Tells me to not buy the first version of anything 🤷🏻‍♂️o🤪
Yup, and don't buy the second either, since the third will be better! Or the fourth. Or the fifth. Or the sixth.

You get the point... just buy what's best for your needs at a specific point! Waiting for the best product will take an infinite amount of time.

Heat pump is only marginally better for range when its 25F to 60F outside. Above 60F you're not using much heat, below 25 the COP is close to 1.
Does anyone know what refrigerant the pre 2024 cars use and if the heat pump cars use the same? Audi uses CO2 for heat pump applications.

Heat pump is not high on my list, but the new fobs are nice.
Wondering how much these will cost if we want to upgrade, assuming they'll work with the "older" Lucids.

Any word on any advancements to the computing systems that power infotainment? Last I heard, the MCU was decided on in 2018ish and that there had been no advancements in that department (learned this during the factory tour). I personally love how some manufacturers use full blown Ryzen chip backed MCU modules. I hope that the Air eventually gets to that levels of power. Oh and that I can retrofit.

Any word on any advancements to the computing systems that power infotainment? Last I heard, the MCU was decided on in 2018ish and that there had been no advancements in that department (learned this during the factory tour). I personally love how some manufacturers use full blown Ryzen chip backed MCU modules. I hope that the Air eventually gets to that levels of power. Oh and that I can retrofit.
Follow up question, does anybody know what chip is used? Or at least which architecture (I'm assuming x86 for now) as well as brand it is? I've been an intel guy since the Ryzen 5000 series fiasco (I'll explain why I think its trash in DMs if you want), but even a early Ryzen chip would be relatively high performance. In terms of retrofits though, do remember that Tesla is the exception rather than the norm (sadly). I do hope Lucid offers a retrofit, but it seems unlikely to me.

Probably has the same unit as the Sapphire which i believe is newer and more performant than what the rest of the cars get

I can't say why, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'd say the key fob is probably compatible with a particular band on the car through some antennae. (Bluetooth i think since the phone uses that?) If the new car uses a different more reliable protocol, it would probably need a hardware retrofit to the antennas.

I can't say why, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
That's disappointing, but not totally surprising.
Hopefully, early adopters will not have to endure much benign neglect while Lucid presses on with other models.

Last edited:
Yup this confirms that GTP/Sapphire cell chemistry did indeed charge faster. Now that the enhancements being brought down to GT, we know it’s 15-30% faster

I wonder if they put the larger 118kw battery in the GT as well
Keep in mind the cell chemistry is a second order affect on DC fast charging speed. The biggest impact comes from thermal capacity of the battery cooling. The reason the new Taycan's charge quickly into high SOC is they have a 20kW cooling system. The current Air lineup has a 10kW medium power inverter used for battery and cabin cooling. I would not be surprised if Sapphire heat pump has a higher capacity and higher power cooling to sustain track performance. That would carry over to charging speed. A higher capacity heat pump in the 2024 Air GT is a more likely explanation for improved charging.

Back