Lucid Air electric sedan will get all-wheel drive option, Launch Edition – deliveries in 2019

Joe

Staff Member
Admin
Lucid_Air_Exterior_03-e1503380465604-1200x629.jpg

Electric vehicle startup Lucid Motors took the opportunity to reveal more details of its Air sedan at last week’s Monterey Car Week, as well as showcasing the Launch Edition model that will make up the first 255 units.

First off, the company has confirmed the headline figures that were bandied about during the initial reveal late last year – the Air will be capable of a range of 640 km from launch, a zero-to-100 km/h acceleration time of under 2.5 seconds and a top speed of at least 250 km/h.

That’s with the range-topping model, which will get twin electric motors providing all-wheel drive and up to 1,000 hp. There’s also a base model that will get a single 400 hp motor, rear-wheel drive and a smaller battery, which has a range of 385 km. A mid-range battery option will get a range of 505 km.

Lucid_Air_Exterior_02-e1503380550514-1200x676.jpg

Standard kit includes LED headlights, 19-inch alloy wheels, a five-seater cabin, 12-way power-adjustable front seats, four screens (including three touchscreens), 10 speakers and 10 airbags. Buyers will also get a front and rear boot that will provide combined luggage space of over 900 litres, plus over-the-air updates.

On top of that are options such as 21-inch wheels, a panoramic glass roof and front seats with 22-way power adjustment, heating, ventilation, massage and dynamic bolster functions. Also on the list are rear reclining executive seats, expanded leather trim, a 29-speaker sound system and a fully-active suspension, which Lucid Motors claims offers a “world-class ride.”

Lucid_Air_Interior_01-1200x698.jpg

The Launch Edition you see here is fully kitted-out, and will come with unique colours such as this dark grey hue. It won’t be cheap at over US$100,000 (RM428,000), but the range will start at US$60,000 (RM256,800) for the base model, before federal and local tax credits.

No matter which variant you choose, the Air will come with “all hardware necessary for autonomous driving,” including camera, radar and lidar sensors all around. These will initially provide Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) features at launch, transitioning to full autonomous driving via software updates. Deliveries of the Air will begin in 2019, a year later than when the car was initially slated to enter production.

Source: https://paultan.org/2017/08/22/luci...aunch-edition-deliveries-to-kick-off-in-2019/

All said this reads as a very exciting sedan. That said with the Tesla S very short on sales how will this sedan do in comparison? I've recently become a reservation holder but that being said my attention is solid for the Rivian R1T. Two entirely different vehicles. I would be driving an S know but tht sedan is not my favorite. The Lucid deposit is sort of an insurance policy for future interest. I'm not getting any younger and other than Tesla it's hurry up and wait.

I'm a Lucid reservation holder also with a Rivian reservation, but for an R1S. I have a 2015 Tesla P90D which is a hoot to drive but has an inexcusably-cramped rear seat. My next EV will have to do a better job of accommodating my aging friends. Until a few weeks ago, I was going to decide whether to buy the Lucid or the Rivian based on which came to market first. (I'm not getting any younger, either.)

However, with the recent information on the overall efficiency of the Lucid and the prospect of over 400 miles of highway driving range (which is very different from EPA-rated range), I've pretty much decided on the Air. Unless the New York auto show (or the flights to it) are canceled due to Covid-19, I'll be at the preview in April. I'm bringing a list of questions, most of which are just due to curiosity, but a couple of which may be yes/no deciders for proceeding from reservation to order configuration.

Back