Lucid Air drive problems

I think this is the first post I’ve seen complaining about the Air’s suspension. I think its suspension is one of the car’s best feature.
Here in Long Beach and Los Angeles, there are lots of pot holes and dips at intersections. So even in 19” wheels at 30 mph, the drive can bumpy. My Model S had better suspension. There doesn’t seem to be any improvements in the software or hardware on the Air. A lot has to do with Lucid being in dire financial straits. It remains to be seen if the Saudis will put anymore money into Lucid USA. I would not like to own a car if the manufacturer has ceased production in this country. Good suspension is critical to a comfortable drive.
 
Drive more in Swift/Sprint. They stiffen the suspension so there is less vertical travel going over bumps. You'll feel them more, but they will be less likely to scrape.

Also, go over them slower; it's a low car. I don't drive in blizzards on RWD cars, and I don't speed over speed bumps in low ones. :)
I will give that a try. 🙏
 
[…] My Model S had better suspension. […]
The Model S has air suspension, while your AT does not. Of course the Model S will feel smoother.
 
These things are always bound to be highly subjective, but personally, my Lucid AT coil suspensions are among the best suspensions in any car I've driven, both from a comfort, handling and driving dynamics standpoint. I recently switched from 20" Michelin P4S non-RFT to 21" PZero RFTs, and i was expecting a harsher ride, but to my pleasant surprise it was just as comfortable!

I also have a bmw 750 (g12) with air suspension and the Air's suspension are just as comfortable to me, without the floaty/boaty feeling of a massive sedan.

Granted, these things are all highly subjective, but for me, lucid nailed the sweet spot between comfort, handling and driving dynamics of the Air's coil suspension.
 
I think the suspension and chassis tuning are excellent. Not as buttoned down as magna ride in my Blackwing but very little is.
Yes car is too low and should have a nose lift
Yah the wind noise and air leaks are unacceptable for a luxury car especially one that claims to have such amazing aerodynamics. There’s no way my car meets spec. Multiple service visits all end with “it’s normal” yah normal in a 79 Buick. My mid eighties to late 90’s BMW’s with seals that probably need to be replaced are significantly less airy. ;) This has to be my biggest gripes and let down.
 
Last edited:
I think the suspension and chassis tuning are excellent. Not as buttoned down as magna ride in my Blackwing but very little is.
Yes car is too low and should have a nose lift
Yah the wind noise and air leaks are unacceptable for a luxury car especially one that claims to have such amazing aerodynamics. There’s no way my car meets spec. Multiple service visits all end with “it’s normal” yah normal in a 79 Buick. My mid eighties to late 90’s BMW’s with seals that probably need to be replaced are significantly less airy. ;) This has to be my biggest gripes and let down.
The interior noise is totally unacceptable for a $100k plus luxury car! You are right!
 
I’ve been driving a 2023 Lucid Air Touring for the last 2.5 years. The car drives and handles better than my 2013 Tesla Model S 85 except for the suspension which is awful. In smooth mode, it does not go well over dips and pot holes. The underside will always scrape the road unless you reduce drive speed to 15 mph. For a luxury car at this price point, it should have air suspension instead. Lucid should fix this problem in their 2027 model. Road noise at high speeds is also a problem that needs to be reduced. If the Air is the flagship model, Lucid needs to work on these two areas soon before they get left in the dust! My lease expires in September and I’m probably going to look at a Taycan 4S EV or a BMW i7.
Just came out of a Taycan 4S and into a 2026 Air Touring. IMHO the Air blows the Taycan out of the water on so many levels.....range, charging, brake regen, comfort, performance, luxury feel, legroom inside. There is not one thing I miss about the Taycan over the Air. All this from a historically big Porsche fan (3 x 911s, Panamera 4S, Taycan 4S). For me, the Taycan was a totally underwhelming experience. Just my 2c, you may see the car in a very different light!
 
The interior noise is totally unacceptable for a $100k plus luxury car! You are right!
Must be something wrong with yours then because I have no issues with noise in mine at all.
 
I guess it’s all a matter of individual likes and dislikes. I tend to follow the Car and Driver reviews of EVs.
 
I could not disagree more. The Air suspension is magic. That one, they definitely got right, imho.

Yes, don't slam it over speed bumps at 20mph. It's a low car. That is true of any low car.

Putting the drive mode in Swift or Sprint will help, as it stiffens the suspension, fwiw.
I could not agree more with @borski ... coming from someone whose done 100k miles if the suspension was shit id know.
 
I was taking a trip on the highway with my wife yesterday. Out of the blue, she mentions how smoothly our AGT rides. I told her people on this forum complain about the ride and that it's too noisy. She was incredulous.
 
The Model S has air suspension, while your AT does not. Of course the Model S will feel smoother.
I had a '23 MSLR and it wasn't smoother than my AT. However, I do miss having the suspension raise automatically just before i pulled into my driveway
 
Back
Top