Lucid air Dream edition in repair shop with no answers

i wonder how many of these blow outs need to happen before Lucid switch to a different tire manufacturer.
I think the problem is mostly due to the weight of the car and the small sidewall of 35-ratio tires. Another tire type or another manufacturer's tire may be better, but maybe not. Pothole blowouts do happen on other ordinary cars with low aspect ratio tires.

Wait. This has happened before?

I pulled over immediately and waited on the side of the highway for three hours until a tow came at around 2 AM. I didn’t want to risk another company towing the vehicle.

Wait. This has happened before?

I pulled over immediately and waited on the side of the highway for three hours until a tow came at around 2 AM. I didn’t want to risk another company towing the vehicle.
Not that I know of, I believe they were just referring to the flat tire not the broken shock member.

Ah. Given all the sensors and gadgets they advertise, I would think they would know exactly how the tire blew out, at what speed, and also a video recording.

My mistake was saying “I must have hit a pot hole or something…..”

Ah. Given all the sensors and gadgets they advertise, I would think they would know exactly how the tire blew out, at what speed, and also a video recording.

Yea, never confess to hitting a pothole!

Anyhow, they shouldn’t take it too long unless they found something damaged more than eyes can see….

There is no such thing as a random flat tire. What was the source? Was it punctured? or did you strike a pothole breaking the rim seal?
It must be one of the two , If it were a pot hole then that blow could easily broken the knuckle . and that would be on your insurance not lucid.

Anyhow, they shouldn’t take it too long unless they found something damaged more than eyes can see….
Yes.

I want to thank you all because talking about this makes me less stressed. I do have a platform and audience that I can complain on but I am choosing not to use it because I don’t want to be “that guy.”

Anyway, it might help it explain the reason and how I got this car. I reserved it in 2021 because my friend was dying of cancer and this was an experience I wanted to share with him. Lucid was aware of this when I ordered. Of course, the car never met the delivery date and I was hoodwinked by sales on ship date. Anyway, I get a call in February (a week before my friend was going to get hospitalized AGAIN) that they had one that was available that someone rejected. It was completely different from what I ordered but I said I would take it. This was right around the time of the first recall for the strut dampeners and they assured me that they looked into that. What was weird was that I was told they had to change the VIN numbers. I didn’t question because I just wanted my friend to experience it. No time to get bank financing — I just paid in cash.

The delivery experience was nice, but it’s hard for someone to enjoy the ride when they are in their third round of chemo and feeling like crap.

Either way though, the car was comfortable for passengers. I enjoyed driving it to take him and family around. I had some issues with the vehicle but I reported everything to the point that i knew customer service and roadside assistance by name.

anyway, on may 9th, that is when my front driver side tire blew while driving on the Long Island expressway. When I got the car towed home, of course my neighbors wanted to know what happened. A mechanic who saw it also mentioned I should swap my 21” tires because he saw a bulge on others and he even offered to take care of it for me because he was adamant the tires were defective. That’s when I found out you can’t buy the replacement tires because it’s exclusive.

On may 17th, Lucid came to swap my tires for the 19” rims, and I saw the cracked top steering strut knuckle, that’s when I started having doubts. the Lucid tech said that everything else looked fine and it didn’t even look like I hit a pot hole. He even asked me how it handled with the cracked knuckle and I said fine.

If I hit a pothole, isn’t there a way to tell?

Anyway, I have been in purgatory since then. The worst part of it is that I feel like I am being swindled with no recourse. I feel like the body shop and Lucid are covering themselves and no one will give me firm answers. The body shop said this was an easy fix at first. And I thought Lucid was covering everything until the body shop asked for my insurance info. How can this not be a warranty repair? Because I said I thought i hit a pot hole?

How does it take Lucid engineering two months to figure out the repair protocol? And how is a body shop supposed to take those instructions and test it on my vehicle?

I also feel like an idiot because I have 5 friends who pre-ordered their grand touring and still seeing me drive a rental Tesla. One cancelled their pre-order already.

Thank you all for your comments.

Attachments

• EF0BDE07-EEC2-4E48-83B9-13085413D491.jpeg
    EF0BDE07-EEC2-4E48-83B9-13085413D491.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
  • 6FA3941C-22A1-4D02-B22D-96F0AC4908F8.jpeg
    6FA3941C-22A1-4D02-B22D-96F0AC4908F8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 149
There is no such thing as a random flat tire. What was the source? Was it punctured? or did you strike a pothole breaking the rim seal?
It must be one of the two , If it were a pot hole then that blow could easily broken the knuckle . and that would be on your insurance not lucid.
I did notice other tires developing bulges on the tire wall. Should I mention that or would it get used against me

Well, if Lucid sales did not know about this before, they will now. Hopefully, those at Lucid that frequent these boards will see this and follow up.

Yes.

I want to thank you all because talking about this makes me less stressed. I do have a platform and audience that I can complain on but I am choosing not to use it because I don’t want to be “that guy.”

Anyway, it might help it explain the reason and how I got this car. I reserved it in 2021 because my friend was dying of cancer and this was an experience I wanted to share with him. Lucid was aware of this when I ordered. Of course, the car never met the delivery date and I was hoodwinked by sales on ship date. Anyway, I get a call in February (a week before my friend was going to get hospitalized AGAIN) that they had one that was available that someone rejected. It was completely different from what I ordered but I said I would take it. This was right around the time of the first recall for the strut dampeners and they assured me that they looked into that. What was weird was that I was told they had to change the VIN numbers. I didn’t question because I just wanted my friend to experience it. No time to get bank financing — I just paid in cash.

The delivery experience was nice, but it’s hard for someone to enjoy the ride when they are in their third round of chemo and feeling like crap.

Either way though, the car was comfortable for passengers. I enjoyed driving it to take him and family around. I had some issues with the vehicle but I reported everything to the point that i knew customer service and roadside assistance by name.

anyway, on may 9th, that is when my front driver side tire blew while driving on the Long Island expressway. When I got the car towed home, of course my neighbors wanted to know what happened. A mechanic who saw it also mentioned I should swap my 21” tires because he saw a bulge on others and he even offered to take care of it for me because he was adamant the tires were defective. That’s when I found out you can’t buy the replacement tires because it’s exclusive.

On may 17th, Lucid came to swap my tires for the 19” rims, and I saw the cracked top steering strut knuckle, that’s when I started having doubts. the Lucid tech said that everything else looked fine and it didn’t even look like I hit a pot hole. He even asked me how it handled with the cracked knuckle and I said fine.

Anyway, I have been in purgatory since then. The worst part of it is that I feel like I am being swindled with no recourse. I feel like the body shop and Lucid are covering themselves and no one will give me firm answers. The body shop said this was an easy fix at first. And I thought Lucid was covering everything until the body shop asked for my insurance info. How can this not be a warranty repair? Because I said I thought i hit a pot hole?

How does it take Lucid engineering two months to figure out the repair protocol? And how is a body shop supposed to take those instructions and test it on my vehicle?

I also feel like an idiot because I have 5 friends who pre-ordered their grand touring and still seeing me drive a rental Tesla. One cancelled their pre-order already.

I would escalate this up the chain. This type of experience seems completely out of line with other experience people have had with the service. Not making excuses, but there should be a protocol in place, but I suspect they are forming that protocol as problems arise.

Yes.

just want to let you know, this is the type of negative feedback and frustration style that is helpful and conducive to fostering this growing niche community. your message has a strong focus on the facts, managed feelings, genuine questions, and hopeful expectations, all without getting overly emotional, dramatic, and over the top (which has its place and is important too).

i haven't been on this forum too long, but i've dug through and read posts all the way back to late 2021. there has definitely been a shift in the community members' attitudes and how they interact with this forum. this place used to focus on exchanging experiences, expertise, and information via an "as subjective as possible lens."

now, there are growing pockets of new posters whos focus seems to be holding their own dramatized woe is me therapy sessions. their negative feedbacks/complaints becomes heavily emotion-based incessant whining, thinking that their anecdotal experience can be extrapolated to the doom and gloom of lucid.

so your post is extremely refreshing, and i just want to take the time to thank you for posting the type of feedback that should be driving this forum.

I did notice other tires developing bulges on the tire wall. Should I mention that or would it get used against me
Definitely do not drive far, or at high speed, on tires with a sidewall bulge.

Thank you for this. I want everyone in this forum to know that I love the Lucid, as did my friend when he had the chance to drive it.

I just want the car back. It’s been two months. I have already re-organized my life because of the delivery delays and now because of repairs.

I did not realize folks from Lucid read this forum. I don’t want to cause any trouble. I am just seeking advice because I feel like Lucid is different than other car companies. I felt like I can trust them with the truth. I told them that I felt like I hit a pothole, and I got hurt for it.

They said they would get the car back to me last week two weeks ago. Now, they said Friday. I am asking for Wednesday because this is the third road trip I have cancelled.

Honestly, between us owners, would you be willing to pay to get your car back? My legal team is insisting I make a big fuss about this but this is not practical. I just want the car back.

Yesterday, I called Lucid and they said they would tell Marcus to call me. I never received any response. I honestly do not know what the heck is going on.

Another commenter mentioned that I should push back. Lucid has been kind to me but they simply do not have answers.

The range isn’t high enough on either. My requirement has been and still is 500 miles/ 1000 km. If I wanted something sub 400, I would already be driving it. i already have an EV to be-bop around town. Those two won’t fit my needs for long trips, especially when the battery degrades over time.

I won’t hate the car. It drives well and I’m not projecting it’s bad (although many owners here have doomed it with the talk about the crappy software they have experienced). Just deliver the damn car and you won’tGl hear any more honest feedback about horrible DA customer service.
Glad you didn't cancel.

Thank you for this. I want everyone in this forum to know that I love the Lucid, as did my friend when he had the chance to drive it.

I just want the car back. It’s been two months. I have already re-organized my life because of the delivery delays and now because of repairs.

I did not realize folks from Lucid read this forum. I don’t want to cause any trouble. I am just seeking advice because I feel like Lucid is different than other car companies. I felt like I can trust them with the truth. I told them that I felt like I hit a pothole, and I got hurt for it.

They said they would get the car back to me last week two weeks ago. Now, they said Friday. I am asking for Wednesday because this is the third road trip I have cancelled.

Honestly, between us owners, would you be willing to pay to get your car back? My legal team is insisting I make a big fuss about this but this is not practical. I just want the car back.

Yesterday, I called Lucid and they said they would tell Marcus to call me. I never received any response. I honestly do not know what the heck is going on.

Another commenter mentioned that I should push back. Lucid has been kind to me but they simply do not have answers.
Paging @Firstto520 and @mcr16

I mean that after the vehicle was towed home, I noticed that the wheel walls had deformations. Again, no impact

Back