Lucid Air Cupholder NHTSA Complaint

watermelonrooste

New Member

Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
10
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
I filed a NHTSA safety complaint about the front cupholders. Standard cups and tumblers don’t fit without being jammed in, and even then they’re unstable. A few weeks ago hot coffee spilled on me during a turn. I kept control of the car, but it was a real distraction and burn risk.
Lucid has reportedly acknowledged the cupholder design is flawed and fixing in new models but that doesn’t help those of us already driving these cars. Has anyone actually received a retrofit, or been told one is coming?
NHTSA looks for patterns across individual complaints before investigating. If you’ve had a spill or near-miss, file your own. It takes a few minutes:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
Each owner has to file separately with their own VIN; there’s no way to co-sign. A photo of a cup that won’t seat properly helps.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0277.webp
    IMG_0277.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I thought Lucid sells a cup that fits the holder in the Air.
 
A standard or large size would be more useful, but does this rise to the level of NHTSA safety concern?
Yes. Any design flaw which can cause driver distraction and risk injury and accident is worth NHTSA safety concern. The company should recall and replace the defective cup holders so standard American cups or water bottles fit easily and do not spill. This issue is well documented on this forum.
 
Yes. Any design flaw which can cause driver distraction and risk injury and accident is worth NHTSA safety concern. The company should recall and replace the defective cup holders so standard American cups or water bottles fit easily and do not spill. This issue is well documented on this forum.
Thanks for sharing. Law is not my profession, though.
 
Yes. Any design flaw which can cause driver distraction and risk injury and accident is worth NHTSA safety concern. The company should recall and replace the defective cup holders so standard American cups or water bottles fit easily and do not spill. This issue is well documented on this forum.
Interesting as I have about 8 travel mugs and 6 of them fit
None came from Lucid and all but one was purchased before I even bought the car.
Note also that a 12 oz can fits and do f d o the skinnier (non fat) bottles fit well.
But you do you.
 
Interesting as I have about 8 travel mugs and 6 of them fit
None came from Lucid and all but one was purchased before I even bought the car.
Note also that a 12 oz can fits and do f d o the skinnier (non fat) bottles fit well.
But you do you.
Are you able to fit a standard starbucks or any other coffee cup easily? Which brand travel mugs do you have? My standard Yeti do not fit.
 
The "Lucid" mug is made by Miir. You don't need to get them from Lucid as they are sold elsewhere, like REI. Why is Yeti the standard size?
Why do we need to buy special mugs to fit the car. Every car since 80s can fit standard American mugs. If you get coffee from starbucks on the go, how are you going to hold it in the car? If this was not an issue, then why have they changed this in the newer models?
 
When NHTSA was formed it had to contend with things like steering columns impaling people and fuel tanks exploding on impact. I guess this thread is an indication of the magnificent progress the industry has made.

Yes, the cupholder size is an irritation, but we shouldn't cry "safety!" every time we encounter something we don't like. Maybe don't try to jam things into places where they obviously don't fit.
 
When NHTSA was formed it had to contend with things like steering columns impaling people and fuel tanks exploding on impact. I guess this thread is an indication of the magnificent progress the industry has made.

Yes, the cupholder size is an irritation, but we shouldn't cry "safety!" every time we encounter something we don't like. Maybe don't try to jam things into places where they obviously don't fit.
This car is probably the most important thing is your life, as evident by your signature. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
 
Use smaller cups? I've never had an issue and use Yeti cups all the time...I wish I hadn't come across this thread cos now my brain will start judging the cupholders too...but in 3.5yrs never had an issue ...
 
Back
Top