Lucid Air Caught on Fire during Demo Day

Tim-in-CA

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
Saw this post on Reddit. Hopefully Lucid will quickly determine the root cause!

1686459529482.png

Doesn't look like a battery fire, or HV battery related? Otherwise, it would be completely burned to the ground. Maybe there was a short circuit in the headlights or that region.

What are the two exposed red wires (with black terminators) on the left side hanging into the frunk?

What are the two exposed red wires (with black terminators) on the left side hanging into the frunk?
The car has emergency cut wires to remove connection between the HV battery and the rest of the car but those may not be it. While it’s obviously not a HV battery this is still bad. That looks like a Pure that caught fire. I think this is the first report of a Lucid fire I’ve seen not caused by another vehicle or reckless driving collision.

I’m sure my ICE friends will make hay of this when it gets around despite the fact that’s it’s much more likely that a gas powered vehicle will burst into flame due to a fuel delivery problem. Where did this happen?

If that’s a Pure, this isn’t from the demo tour. They only have Touring and GTs. I specifically asked one of the employees just a few days ago whether they would have Pures to test drive on the tour soon, and he said not for quite a while. Because they are in short supply, and because Lucid wants to showcase the higher trims in the short term.

Might need to install a smoke alarm in the garage does anyone have one of those just we have a lot of electric equipment located next to a propane tank so it’s not super ideal if we have anything close to a fire 🔥

If that’s a Pure, this isn’t from the demo tour. They only have Touring and GTs. I specifically asked one of the employees just a few days ago whether they would have Pures to test drive on the tour soon, and he said not for quite a while. Because they are in short supply, and because Lucid wants to showcase the higher trims in the short term.
Yeah that’s clearly a pure in the picture, or is it a touring without glass roof and 19”? It also looks fathom blue which means it’s not a touring or GT. Here’s what’s also weird, in the Reddit post with the rear view photo of the vehicle when you zoom in, that one appears to have the silver cantrails consistent with touring or GT two tone, and not the car post fire picture which is without glass roof or two tone silver cantrails. WTF is going on here, is this some ChatGPT AI generated image? I could be wrong, that rear photo could just be the lights playing tricks and it’s the solid color roof. Maybe they had a Pure just for show but not test drive? I do remember @OutofSpecDave sat in one Pure at one of the Dream Ahead sites at a hotel.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s clearly a pure in the picture, or is it a touring without glass roof and 19”? It also looks fathom blue which means it’s not a touring or GT. Here’s what’s also weird, in the Reddit post with the rear view photo of the vehicle when you zoom in, that one appears to have the silver cantrails consistent with touring or GT two tone, and not the car post fire picture which is without glass roof or two tone silver cantrails. WTF is going on here, is this some ChatGPT AI generated image? I could be wrong, that rear photo could just be the lights playing tricks and it’s the solid color roof. Maybe they had a Pure just for show but not test drive? I do remember @OutofSpecDave sat in one Pure at one of the Dream Ahead sites at a hotel.
Who knows? They were just in Boulder a few days ago, and they had no Pures or metal roof Tourings. This could have been from a separate event, though.

Also the photo perspective is off, the rear shot shows there’s plenty of space to the right side of the vehicle, looks like a few parking spots to the right. But then from front shot there’s only one spot to the right of the car (to the left of the photo perspective) and then a curb? Sure maybe this Pure caught fire at a demo, but did they move the car after they put the fire out?

I've had a brief look. One of the first comments was demo= demolition. Smh.
I pulled out and left it. Rather see an official report rather than speculation from those perhaps not even there.

However the fire was started it seems authentic several different pictures caught and a video showing the smoking. You can clearly see the red lucid in the background as well so it’s some type of fire and some type of demo event. That’s about all we know.

Reactions: jfk
This is not good. The already vociferous anti-EV crowd will make much of this, along with their newly discovered concern for the environment, land degradation and child worker abuse.

I test drove Pure two different times during the Dream Ahead tour May 16 - 18 here in the DC area.
Sorry to hear about the fire. I saw that on a news outlet yesterday

Attachments

• 20230517_104418~2.jpg
    20230517_104418~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
  • 20230518_184034.jpg
    20230518_184034.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 129
Not that this is good, but I hope it was a demo car and not an actual owner's car. They can learn what caused it and solve/fix if it really is a problem. I believe almost every EV manufacturer has had a car(s) on fire and it gets pretty sensationalized. Sucks that it happened on a demo day with prospective buyers because if that happened to me when I first saw the car, I too would probably have canceled my order.

Not that this is good, but I hope it was a demo car and not an actual owner's car. They can learn what caused it and solve/fix if it really is a problem. I believe almost every EV manufacturer has had a car(s) on fire and it gets pretty sensationalized. Sucks that it happened on a demo day with prospective buyers because if that happened to me when I first saw the car, I too would probably have canceled my order.
Well this stuff happened to Teslas many times and they’re still selling like hotcakes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back