Lucid ads and commercials

hmp 10
I congratulate you on your exquisite taste in cars - do you still have the FD?

I really understand what you are saying. Let me preface my opinion by saying that I'm a southern Californian who has spent time in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. I agree with Borski in that Lucid identifies that California is integral to its identity. It seems proud to display that fact with the bear emblem and the statement "Most Advanced Electric Car. Designed in California; Assembled in America;Engineered to Change the World." It is not overtly political in my opinion. However, you are saying that some people in other areas of the country may take offense and it may hurt sales. I understand but disagree. Did Tesla increase or decrease their sales by moving to Texas? Am I unlikely to buy a Mercedes knowing that it was produced in Alabama if my political views skew left? And if someone from the opposite side won't purchase a car based on where it was designed, I'm pretty sure they weren't considering an EV anyway...

At this point in this long discussion, I think it's worth going back to the ad that started this thread. Other than talking about where the car was designed and assembled, all it really tells you -- and in much smaller print, by the way -- is that it is the longest-range EV on the market.

There is no mention of its incredible interior space, its world-class power and handling, its luxury materials and features. In these types of ads, you only have a few words to convey the essence of the product, and Lucid spends those words to tell you it's a car designed in California and assembled in the U.S. So are Teslas. Mazda and Audi have design studios in California for their U.S. products. So do many other carmakers. Honestly, designing a car in California is old news. All it says about Lucid is "we joined the parade".

I wonder how many of the owners on this forum bought their Airs because it was designed in California and assembled in the U.S. I know I didn't, and I suspect few others did. They more likely bought from some combination of its performance, efficiency, room, features, and style . . . and that style, rather that saying "California", harkens back to mid-century modernism and some of the Detroit design aesthetic of that era (two-tone interiors and exteriors, chrome brightwork, Bel-Air-styled logos, etc.).

What “move to AZ”? This is the part I think is not clear to you - their HQ is still in CA. Always has been. AZ contains the factory where the things they design in CA are built. KSA contains another. That doesn’t make Lucid a KSA company.
The "move to AZ" I am talking about is how Lucid seems to be embracing CA in terms of marketing, but most of the actual action occurs in AZ near the factory (jobs and economy boosted there, Lucid day, Owners Rally, etc). To me, it almost seems like they want to be associated with CA and their tech forward rep (as you said) while doing most of the action (or at least to me, it seems that way) in AZ. You do have some points though, and I think both perspectives could be proven.
Apple is also not “prevalent” in CA; I’m not sure where you got that idea. They exist in Cupertino, and have grown to own or lease many of the buildings in Cupertino. But it didn’t start that way, any more than Lucid started in Newark.
You're right, Apple started in Los Altos (or Altas?), California, originally from their bedroom but moving into their garage when operations got too big.
Your generation isn’t buying cars yet. And by the time they are, that opinion may change.
True statement there.
Cool. You can’t walk down the block without seeing six political banners in four coffee shops on any street in the US right now.
Is this just a CA thing? Because I am very confused now, lol
That doesn’t mean Lucid needs to whitewash its brand to make it soul-less, just to appease idiots who assign political value to every goddamn thing around them. Again: the bear is not Lucid’s logo. It happens to represent its California roots, but it’s not a political statement. Anyone reading it as such is caught up in their own drama, and I don’t think Lucid should be trying to straddle the line as a brand with no soul.
Okay, so by this point I think it is clear we agree Lucid shouldn't be political in its advertisements. However, what we disagree on is whether the bear makes things political or not, and even though only idiots will associate politics with cars, sadly a lot of these car buyers are idiots. I'm not naming certain states, but many extreme "red" states are like this (like Texas, as shown by my example).

Nope. Plenty of things were made in America when Apple was founded. They were specifically proud of being from Silicon Valley, not just America; because it was associated with novel technology and great design.
You're right, I shouldn't have generalized America there. Sorry.
I actually think the whole point is that by *not* placating to political whims, Lucid is outwardly not being political. If they suddenly removed the CA ethos to placate to the nonsense drivel coming from either extreme, they’d be in trouble, as neither “side” would be happy about it, because both would want more political statements in their direction. Not conservative enough for the MAGA crowd, and not liberal enough for the liberal crowd.

Lucid is doing what it’s always done; explicitly *not* playing politics. I’m completely on board with that.

Politics change.
Again, I think we agree on the fundamental point but not on whether Lucid is encouraging it. Lucid needs to cater to political idiots, and there are no benefits to having the CA bear and the Arizona Lucid day. I have NEVER met a Californian or an Arizonian (is that what you call them?) who bought the car just because of the "ties" or were even slightly influenced by the numerous things Lucid does due to being proud of their roots. There are downsides though, and that is due to the idiots (extremists) from other states we are talking about. Whether Lucid (or us) like it or not, they need to be catered to. They can stay in CA and AZ all they want, just don't make a huge deal about it in ads, or rather, anywhere. If Lucid removed the CA bear, I honestly don't think any "normal" people from the states it has "ties" to would care, except for the idiots. If it isn't a logo, as you have said, then there should be no problem removing it as its theoretically just a simple "easter egg."

An interesting discussion. I think advertising works best when it helps the broadest number of people to identify personally and positively with a product. To me, that just comes down to a couple simple 'find/change' actions on every Lucid ad, and almost every other of their communications for that matter. Replace every 'state name' with 'America', and replace the word 'assembled' with 'built' or 'crafted'.

hmp 10
I congratulate you on your exquisite taste in cars - do you still have the FD?

I really understand what you are saying. Let me preface my opinion by saying that I'm a southern Californian who has spent time in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. I agree with Borski in that Lucid identifies that California is integral to its identity. It seems proud to display that fact with the bear emblem and the statement "Most Advanced Electric Car. Designed in California; Assembled in America;Engineered to Change the World." It is not overtly political in my opinion. However, you are saying that some people in other areas of the country may take offense and it may hurt sales. I understand but disagree. Did Tesla increase or decrease their sales by moving to Texas? Am I unlikely to buy a Mercedes knowing that it was produced in Alabama if my political views skew left? And if someone from the opposite side won't purchase a car based on where it was designed, I'm pretty sure they weren't considering an EV anyway...
You see, you are right in some ways and perfectly articulated our feelings. However, like those other companies, Lucid makes a relatively HUGE deal about what specific state it was built in. For example, you wouldn't find a lone star sticker on a Tesla. You do have a point with the "idiots" (extremists) not buying EVs... although Lucid should be making every effort to change that.

670 horsepower? 🤣

A "Fredsonic (?) chambered exhaust system" that "screams as loud as today's supercharged V8s"? :eek: . . . :rolleyes: . . . 😄😄 . . . 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I almost died due lethal doses of terrible jokes and almost choked to death due to how much times I was laughing. That was the single WORST car commercial I EVER saw and is revealing of what it would take to get their "target audience" to embrace EVs. I'm going to drink my kale smoothie now... 🤣

And I have no interest in the Fratzonic exhaust system... It would probably go "Whoom whoom" like my vacuum cleaner at home. Ugh. EV motors naturally have a GREAT sound... why do all this BS to make it sound like a V8? Lucid's whine sounds great. Porsche's whine sounds great. Tesla's motors would sound great (like a V12) if they didn't hide it (video below). And of all the solutions, they make it sound like a V8 that overdosed on crack.

Mercedes does its advanced exterior design work at its Carlsbad, CA design studio. Have you seen what they've been coming up with lately?

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 10.11.33 AM.png

Looks like a frog that choked as it was trying to cough. Just sayin' . . . .

In my best effort to bring value to this conversation, I see the following issues:

1) EVs in general are associated with Democratic policies. A significant portion of the population of conservatives (sampling from relatives) believe EVs will be forced onto them at the current prices (unaffordable to them). We can talk about the subjectives and interpretations of that group, but the objective component of this first argument is very simply that they truly feel this way. Period. Lucid cannot do much about this than win on other fronts.

2) A primary concern still, regardless of political stance, remains to be range and charging. Full stop. Folks can look past the price for a moment to consider this secondary concern. At this time, most folks want the 500 miles of range Lucid offers because they are uncomfortable with the charging infrastructure. This is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, argument for Lucid despite the forum's overwhelming emphasis on driving dynamics, creature comforts, software capabilities, etc.

3) The Lucid Bear may be recognizable by some, but I cannot really say that this or naming conventions are a huge standout for folks. When I introduce people to the car, their is immense pride in it being built in the US vs a foreign country. Americans on this point simply want cars and products in general built in the US.

4) Is the car beautiful? Yes? No? California is recognized to be a gorgeous part of the country, and the design may be Mid-Century inspired. However, my experience has been the where it is built is far more important than the where or based off of. Do you personally find the design pleasing vs inspiration.

All these points to say that maintaining pride in it's origins is not an issue. A small pivot to include built in America would go a long ways plus emphasizing the primary concerns of folks: range, range, range. If you can squeeze in the other excellent aspects such as driving dynamics, panning shots of the beautiful leather interior, performance numbers, etc., then you can all result in a net positive.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the owners on this forum bought their Airs because it was designed in California and assembled in the U.S. I know I didn't, and I suspect few others did.
Designed in CA had no bearing for me, and I live in CA. But, made in the USA does after being exclusively German BMW for 20+ years. When I finally decided that my next car was an EV, I was impressed by how advanced the Lucid Air is and it's American!

In my best effort to bring value to this conversation, I see the following issues:

1) EVs in general are associated with Democratic policies. A significant portion of the population of conservatives (sampling from relatives) believe EVs will be forced onto them at the current prices (unaffordable to them). We can talk about the subjectives and interpretations of that group, but the objective component of this first argument is very simply that they truly feel this way. Period. Lucid cannot do much about this than win on other fronts.

2) A primary concern still, regardless of political stance, remains to be range and charging. Full stop. Folks can look past the price for a moment to consider this secondary concern. At this time, most folks want the 500 miles of range Lucid offers because they are uncomfortable with the charging infrastructure. This is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, argument for Lucid despite the forum's overwhelming emphasis on driving dynamics, creature comforts, software capabilities, etc.

3) The Lucid Bear may be recognizable by some, but I cannot really say that this or naming conventions are a huge standout for folks. When I introduce people to the car, their is immense pride in it being built in the US vs a foreign country. Americans on this point simply want cars and products in general built in the US.

4) Is the car beautiful? Yes? No? California is recognized to be a gorgeous part of the country, and the design may be Mid-Century inspired. However, my experience has been the where it is built is far more important than the where or based off of. Do you personally find the design pleasing vs inspiration.

All these points to say that maintaining pride in it's origins is not an issue. A small pivot to include built in America would go a long ways plus emphasizing the primary concerns of folks: range, range, range. If you can squeeze in the other excellent aspects such as driving dynamics, panning shots of the beautiful leather interior, performance numbers, etc., then you can all result in a net positive.
Nailed it on the head, thank you. I think we are all perfectly fine with the "made in the US" advertising, but some of of us not the specific state advertisements. This perfectly sums up the thread.

4-5% of the nationwide market is a good bit larger that 40% of the Bay Area market.
And you're going to reach them how? By buying billboards across the entire nation's highway system and buying national commercial air time?

As opposed to hitting millions of people who are already primed to buy an EV with local radio, billboard, and newspaper spots?

We're talking orders of magnitude cheaper to focus in one state where you are much more likely to actually convert sales.

Again, not saying ignore the rest of the country; I'm saying get as many people quickly and as cheaply as you can. Then use the money from those sales to expand.

Of all the things to copy from Tesla, this is a good one.

And you're going to reach them how? By buying billboards across the entire nation's highway system and buying national commercial air time?
Uh... yes! Is there a reason that would be bad I'm not aware of?
As opposed to hitting millions of people who are already primed to buy an EV with local radio, billboard, and newspaper spots?
If what Lucid wants to do is reach a younger car buying audience (25-35), they are failing. I see ads on Youtube for Lucid (which is more of MY age group) and see it on the radio and newspapers (never seen it on a billboard though), but that is hitting an audience older than 25-35. The last time my dad read a newspaper was... 15 years ago.
We're talking orders of magnitude cheaper to focus in one state where you are much more likely to actually convert sales.

Again, not saying ignore the rest of the country; I'm saying get as many people quickly and as cheaply as you can. Then use the money from those sales to expand.

Of all the things to copy from Tesla, this is a good one.
I do understand what you mean, but Lucid is not bleeding cash (they can afford to advertise nationwide). Even without that, going back to the original point, I doubt many Californians even care about the bear being on the car. If I met somebody who was genuinely influenced by that, I would be very shocked.

Uh... yes! Is there a reason that would be bad I'm not aware of?
I can think of tens of millions of reasons Yes. $$$

If what Lucid wants to do is reach a younger car buying audience (25-35), they are failing. I see ads on Youtube for Lucid (which is more of MY age group) and see it on the radio and newspapers (never seen it on a billboard though), but that is hitting an audience older than 25-35. The last time my dad read a newspaper was... 15 years ago.

I said nothing about dead tree newspapers. Newspapers have web sites, last time I checked. And podcasts with ads.

And yes, if you poll the population who can actually comfortably afford this car, you'll find way more of them read an actual newspaper than you might think.

I do understand what you mean, but Lucid is not bleeding cash (they can afford to advertise nationwide). Even without that, going back to the original point, I doubt many Californians even care about the bear being on the car. If I met somebody who was genuinely influenced by that, I would be very shocked.
Do you have any idea what it costs to advertise nationwide?

Do you have any idea how many 25-year-old Americans can afford this car?

When midsize is out, yes. They absolutely will expand and broaden their reach.

We're not talking about one commercial, which will cost millions and be zero-percent effective.

If you want to reach a person and hope to even get them to walk into the studio, you have to hit them with several different forms of advertising. And the more targeted that advertising is, the better.

Like I said, way easier (and several millions cheaper) to do that in a single market than across a nation.

Advertising is about reaching as many of the right people in the most cost-effective way possible. Right now, that's California. Five years from now, it may very well be elsewhere.

Spending millions farting into the wind might make some people feel better, but it won't sell more cars in the very short term. And if they can't sell more cars in the short term, ten years from now won't matter.

tbh, I don't think the Air was designed for the 25-35 market. Probably safe to say that in most states (not all) a $70K+ car is very expensive for that demographic. You don't build your marketing campaign for a small fraction of people in an already small pool of people buying luxury cars. The 25-35 demographic car will be the mid-sized

The whole advertising dynamic has changed and companies need to figure out what works for them. A TV commercial doesn't have the same pull that it used to but the networks still want to charge a ridiculous amount. The amount of Mercedes / Audi commercials I see doesn't seem to translate into sales in the higher end models. You just need to look at the EQS sales compared to Lucid and they're pretty much neck and neck on the sedan sales with Lucid not doing commercials.

I've seen nothing in Lucid sales figures that tells me their current ad campaign is succeeding. Is Lucid doing a lot more ad buys in the California market than elsewhere? If not, then it's no more expensive to try to broaden the brand appeal beyond California by changing the ad content a bit.

I also think you're underestimating the size of the EV markets in some other states. The most recent EV registration data from the U.S. Department of Energy show that EV registrations in Florida and Texas together slightly exceed California registrations. And I can't think of two other states where "designed in California" would be a less appealing advertising strategy.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.46.11 AM.png

tbh, I don't think the Air was designed for the 25-35 market. Probably safe to say that in most states (not all) a $70K+ car is very expensive for that demographic. You don't build your marketing campaign for a small fraction of people in an already small pool of people buying luxury cars. The 25-35 demographic car will be the mid-sized

The whole advertising dynamic has changed and companies need to figure out what works for them. A TV commercial doesn't have the same pull that it used to but the networks still want to charge a ridiculous amount. The amount of Mercedes / Audi commercials I see doesn't seem to translate into sales in the higher end models. You just need to look at the EQS sales compared to Lucid and they're pretty much neck and neck on the sedan sales with Lucid not doing commercials.
Correct. The thing that puzzles me is that not much people 35+ watch Youtube regularly, yet I see TONS of Lucid advertisements on the platform. Youtube is what you would advertise on if you want to target my age group. I even see the ads on my classmates computers, which proves that it is not just a targeted advertisement towards me and they are actively attempting to advertise to everybody on youtube. Regarding the ads themselves, they are all 30 second ads that are skippable after 5 seconds with NO hook in the start, and if you do watch the ad, there is almost no meaningful information.

By the way, folks, I hope everyone realizes that I enjoy a good argument with people who know what they're talking about, and this one certainly fits the bill. Well worth the time for those of us who love this brand and want to see it succeed.

By the way, folks, I hope everyone realizes that I enjoy a good argument with people who know what they're talking about, and this one certainly fits the bill. Well worth the time for those of us who love this brand and want to see it succeed.
I am very much enjoying this conversation for the same reason. Every single person here has bought a new point to the argument and in some ways have convinced me regarding their beliefs. This has been a fun and informative debate, and one that will hopefully benefit Lucid in the future.

Correct. The thing that puzzles me is that not much people 35+ watch Youtube regularly, yet I see TONS of Lucid advertisements on the platform. Youtube is what you would advertise on if you want to target my age group. I even see the ads on my classmates computers, which proves that it is not just a targeted advertisement towards me and they are actively attempting to advertise to everybody on youtube. Regarding the ads themselves, they are all 30 second ads that are skippable after 5 seconds with NO hook in the start, and if you do watch the ad, there is almost no meaningful information.
Lucid IS doing targeted digital ads. You are searching and writing and speaking about Lucid…you are also on YouTube….see how that works? Why it’s on your friends computers and devices is I’d imagine your device is on the same WiFi as theirs at some point. My husband searches things on his phone and computer all of the time, and you know who gets ads for it on Instagram? Me, who definitely doesn’t search for the new top of the line piece of golf equipment.

I’d love to hear from someone who has actual knowledge and experience in Brand and Marketing for a Luxury Automobile company in its infancy weighing in here. Until then, we are just a bunch of owners (most of us anyway) that all have different preferences on where we see media and advertisements and different opinions on what we think “should” work. The Air was never meant for mass production and sales, so you’re never going to see it mass advertised where a majority of people that see it can’t afford to buy it.

The same “Lucid should do more” comments followed by “But not like that” after they do is tiring. I don’t think they’re perfect, but I’m also smart enough to know there’s smarter people than me making decisions and I know they are having to figure out what works and what doesn’t as they go. They pivot when needed and they most surely have a strategy.

Back