Bobby

Referral code: 82LNN7ZP
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT, DB9
Referral Code
82LNN7ZP
I’ve been working in the garage today, and it occurs to me that what really is obvious about the car waking up whenever I get near it is the sound of the mirrors folding in and out. On my other three cars, the door handles will pop open but the mirrors will only begin to fold out once somebody actually opens the door. Same for the climate control. If they just re-program the logic to have those things turn on when the door is actually opened versus based on proximity, I think it would be much nicer and we wouldn’t hear that mirror opening and closing noise over and over since the doorhandles are fairly silent.

I'd love to have the option to turn off the mirror behavior entirely. I've had power folding side mirrors in previous cars and never set them to fold in automatically. I have zero need for it and see it as just another wear item that will eventually fail.

It would be nice if we had the option to only have the car turn on, handles out, and mirrors out when we actually press the button on the key. I'm sure many like the car coming to life automatically when you approach it, but it usually drives me nuts. I live in a small house and am constantly in and out of the garage. I simply can't have my key in my pocket. If I go into the garage for a screwdriver, the car comes to life. Then it shuts off while I'm still looking for the screwdriver, only to come to life again after I find it and head back into the house. Also my garage is so close to the living room, simply having the key in my pocket while on the couch can cause the car to turn on/shut off.

I’ve been working in the garage today, and it occurs to me that what really is obvious about the car waking up whenever I get near it is the sound of the mirrors folding in and out. On my other three cars, the door handles will pop open but the mirrors will only begin to fold out once somebody actually opens the door. Same for the climate control. If they just re-program the logic to have those things turn on when the door is actually opened versus based on proximity, I think it would be much nicer and we wouldn’t hear that mirror opening and closing noise over and over since the doorhandles are fairly silent.
I can supplement this, because actually for MY cars(kia sorento..) it does open the mirrors when the car is unlocked, so it seems like a manufacturer disparity.
I imagine it would be easy to make a setting for it. Maybe add it to the software poll?

I'd love to have the option to turn off the mirror behavior entirely. I've had power folding side mirrors in previous cars and never set them to fold in automatically. I have zero need for it and see it as just another wear item that will eventually fail.

It would be nice if we had the option to only have the car turn on, handles out, and mirrors out when we actually press the button on the key. I'm sure many like the car coming to life automatically when you approach it, but it usually drives me nuts. I live in a small house and am constantly in and out of the garage. I simply can't have my key in my pocket. If I go into the garage for a screwdriver, the car comes to life. Then it shuts off while I'm still looking for the screwdriver, only to come to life again after I find it and head back into the house. Also my garage is so close to the living room, simply having the key in my pocket while on the couch can cause the car to turn on/shut off.
Take a look at the wish list item about locking and unlocking, the ideas you propose plus others are there. www.lucidupdates.com

We need that geofencing option that Rivian has so that the proximity unlock can be turned off at home. My battery goes down at least 1-2% each night because of how many times I'm in my garage, laundry room or kitchen. Constantly unlocking and relocking and playing music without even opening the door. Such a waste of energy...

We need that geofencing option that Rivian has so that the proximity unlock can be turned off at home. My battery goes down at least 1-2% each night because of how many times I'm in my garage, laundry room or kitchen. Constantly unlocking and relocking and playing music without even opening the door. Such a waste of energy...
Whenever I'm home for the night. I just turn off location and it won't unlock the car...

Aside from the annoyance of having to squeeze past the opening mirrors, the biggest effect is the substantial loss of charge. This impact is many times greater than the “vampire” draining. Sometimes 80 miles in between charges when it’s parked in the garage for a while.

My suggestion would be this: Require pushing the door handle. If you push the door handle and the key is within 4 feet, then present the handles and unfold the mirrors.

Ideal setup for locking and unlocking in my opinions:

These settings would be a sub-menu for each key fob/mobile key:

ALL LOCATIONS:
Locking/Unlocking General Setting:

FULL AUTO - unlock/lock automatically based on proximity​
AUTO LOCK/PUSH HANDLE TO UNLOCK - unlock by pushing in the door handle, lock automatically based on proximity​
AUTO UNLOCK/PUSH HANDLE TO LOCK - unlock automatically based on proximity, lock by pushing in the door handle​
PUSH HANDLE ONLY - unlock/lock only by pushing in the door handle.​
Security Unlock Setting:
ALL DOORS​
DRIVERS'S DOOR ONLY​
Locking Delay when key is out of proximity
0 SECONDS​
15 SECONDS​
30 SECONDS​
Proximity options
MIRRORS ON/OFF (if turned on, mirrors will unfold when key is sensed. If turned off, mirrors will open when door is opened)​
A/C ON/OFF (if turned on, A/C will start when key is sensed. If turned off, A/C will start when door is opened)​
LIGHTS ON/OFF (if turned on, lights will illuminate when key is sensed. If turned off, lights will illuminate when door is opened)​
SPECIFIC LOCATIONS: When a location is added to the list it gets its own behaviors
Locking/Unlocking General Setting:
FULL AUTO - unlock/lock automatically based on proximity​
AUTO LOCK/PUSH HANDLE TO UNLOCK - unlock by pushing in the door handle, lock automatically based on proximity​
AUTO UNLOCK/PUSH HANDLE TO LOCK - unlock automatically based on proximity, lock by pushing in the door handle​
PUSH HANDLE ONLY - unlock/lock only by pushing in the door handle.​
Security Unlock Setting:
ALL DOORS​
DRIVERS'S DOOR ONLY​
Locking Delay when key is out of proximity
0 SECONDS​
15 SECONDS​
30 SECONDS​
Proximity options
MIRRORS ON/OFF (if turned on, mirrors will unfold when key is sensed. If turned off, mirrors will open when door is opened)​
A/C ON/OFF (if turned on, A/C will start when key is sensed. If turned off, A/C will start when door is opened)​
LIGHTS ON/OFF (if turned on, lights will illuminate when key is sensed. If turned off, lights will illuminate when door is opened)​

Teslas has similar option and it works great and conserves battery

Teslas has similar option and it works great and conserves battery
I've learned to just turn my phone location off at home and it works. I don't care for the auto proximity unlock on/off option that was added recently.

Is that better than turning off Bluetooth which is what I do?
It accomplishes the same thing. I used to turn off Bluetooth, but then I got a smart watch. Turning off location fits the bill better for me so that my phone and watch continue to communicate.

Back