Imagine sending one of the biggest YouTube car channels in the world a car with panels falling off of it.
WHY?!?!
WHY?!?!
Last edited:
It has happened—elevator doors have opened when no car was present, leading to fatal falls. That’s why I trust Silvio understands that fundamental safety requirements must come first, before any “nice-to-have” features are considered.Two of the most basic things in the act of driving are to get into the vehicle and start it up. Lucid has been struggling with this since 2021 and still hasn't found the answer.
Any CEO who comes out of the gate focusing on anything other than fixing this might as well bend his initial efforts to how best to shut the company down. A third model launch like the first two will toll the beginning of the end and render anything else the CEO does moot.
And, reducing service costs increases profits (or reduces losses)! If I am playing the CEO role, I would, amongst many things, focus on stemming losses due to warranty and service costs. it doesn't take a CEO to realize that if you increase service capacity, you can reduce flatbed transport costs and, what has to be an outrageously high number; rental costs. The concept of paying $60 dollars a day for a Kia (we here in Michigan don't get MB 450s) for a month is simply money down the drain. Those are real money cash flows - going to Enterprise or Hertz because you want to hold on to a car for a month. Let me drive it, give me a couple days notice and pick up my car. I'll drive the rental for a week, deliver my car back to me and I won't complain about the time in service, I don't have to drive a Kia (or pay the difference for a 7 passenger Grand Wagoneer, since I actually need at least 6 seats).I come from a service background. We all used to say that Sales gets the first order, and service gets all the rest at any given location/customer.
They have GOT to fix service if they have any hope of being successful long term.
The last two sound like moves one makes to getting out of the car manufacturing business...I'll apologize in advance for being critical of the list. If I were CEO this is the list I would expect to get from my Head of Marketing. It's a good list, just not one that a CEO should be spending time on. I think a CEO should be thinking about things like
- Considering new markets for entry. By new markets I'm talking geographically.
- Considering new partnerships such as getting contractual arrangements with ride-sharing companies and considering features / apps that can deliver transactional revenue. Lucid is already doing these, so I feel good about those efforts.
- Consider options for using some of the as-yet unutilized capacity at the Arizona plant. Either do contractual builds for other automakers (Chinese?) or allow accessory manufacturers space to affix their products to Lucid products pre-delivery so that the service centers don't have to do it.
From an owner standpoint, I get it. From a CEO standpoint, to price that warranty for a profit, based on historical warranty costs, would not only price it out of the ballpark, but would serve to remind customers of the high cost of ownership for older vehicles.Extended warranty for owners coming up on their 4 year anniversary seems like a no brainer and would be welcomed by the community. Of course, then they'd have to spend some of that money scaling up service, but still a profit could be made.
With warranties as with most insurance, you don’t need to increase profit on the sale of the warranty. You make profit on the use of cash. That income from the cash is used to pay for repair costs. (This is where the decreased service costs remanufatured parts and reduced service hourly costs come in.) By reducing costs of repair. Also if the company is paying for those repairs it will also drive better build quality.From an owner standpoint, I get it. From a CEO standpoint, to price that warranty for a profit, based on historical warranty costs, would not only price it out of the ballpark, but would serve to remind customers of the high cost of ownership for older vehicles.
Using the precept that one books cash, makes money off of it, then uses the cash to pay for periodic repairs, an individual can do the same. Put a chunk of money away in an investment, draw from it when needed. It depends on when and how often it goes to the service. All of it also depends on how long one is going to keep the car. Many of us Gravity owners are hedging our "warranty investment strategies" by leasing, thereby having a car that is always covered by warranty. If my leasing experience is as good as it has been, I'll buy the next one and service cost will be on me. But, I'll designate an account to put money into that will be my "self-insurance warranty pool" and hope for the best. Think if we had the $200 per month over the last 34 years in an SP500 fund.With warranties as with most insurance, you don’t need to increase profit on the sale of the warranty. You make profit on the use of cash. That income from the cash is used to pay for repair costs. (This is where the decreased service costs remanufatured parts and reduced service hourly costs come in.) By reducing costs of repair. Also if the company is paying for those repairs it will also drive better build quality.
Lucid needs cash… if my cash would give me peace of mind and help Lucid to survive I am in!
I pay 200 a month for car insurance that I haven’t actually used in 34 years (other than glass claims)
I would gladly pay 100-150 a month on insurance I KNOW I will at some point use!![]()
Agree about laying of service, that was stupid of Marc.They just laid service people off!
I bet you anything they sold themselves some Gravities for service to hit some goal. Car dealers do that too when they’re a few cars off a stair step goal the service department suddenly needs new loaners
For real tho, there’s gotta be something we don’t know about. Even common sense stuff they don’t do. It can’t be because somebody said they can’t sell high margin add ons.
Again, they are running the thing like a company not concerned about staying in business.
You have battery warranty for 8 years. I would rather not pay for extended warranty and save the 5k. Introducing extended warranty is not good when your service center is already swamped.Extended warranty for owners coming up on their 4 year anniversary seems like a no brainer and would be welcomed by the community. Of course, then they'd have to spend some of that money scaling up service, but still a profit could be made.
No it’s notDisagree they would sell themselves some vehicles to increase sales….that is fraud
Ok, looked it up. You are right, I’m quite surprised they are allowed to do this.No it’s not
Simple, make sure software works, improve sales communication, improve service availability.If you were CEO of Lucid ((Now in order to play this game you have to THINK LIKE A CEO NOT AN OWNER)) give me your top 5 things you would do to increase revenue quickly. Think like you were brought in to SAVE LUCID you need to RAISE CASH through RETAIL quickly. What would you do?
For me:
1. Sell Upgrades to owners (suspension performance wraps PPF wheels).
2. Increase referral bonus include free charging or something like this.
3. Sell COVERAGES ie warranty glass tire/wheel ((broker))
4. Accessory sales (car care branded items)
5. GET THE LOWER PRICED SUV OUT then ANNOUCE INCREASE IN PRICE OF AIR AND GRAVITY ((INCLUDE SOME EASY TO DO UPGRADES body-wheels-performance))
There are no short-cuts to building and sustaining a top-tier product commanding a 6-fgiure price point. It is "Blood-Toils-Sweat-and-Tears!" . No, not the rock-band....Winston Churchill!!Simple, make sure software works, improve sales communication, improve service availability.
Pretty simple. Not rocket science.
But Lucid has to mess it up…one thing after another. Release the Air with crappy software, then release the Gravity with crappy software, and then do a crapshoot on servicing by firing people when you most need them.
But im optimistic the new CEO will right the ship. He has 30 years experience. And in his last job, looks like he very good. Lucid doesn’t need a founder/engineer/hype CEO. It needs a results oriented person with strict discipline on spending. Napoli is the man!
Software is so simpleSimple, make sure software works, improve sales communication, improve service availability.
Pretty simple. Not rocket science.
But Lucid has to mess it up…one thing after another. Release the Air with crappy software, then release the Gravity with crappy software, and then do a crapshoot on servicing by firing people when you most need them.
But im optimistic the new CEO will right the ship. He has 30 years experience. And in his last job, looks like he very good. Lucid doesn’t need a founder/engineer/hype CEO. It needs a results oriented person with strict discipline on spending. Napoli is the man!
That’s why they got an experienced CEOThere are no short-cuts to building and sustaining a top-tier product commanding a 6-fgiure price point. It is "Blood-Toils-Sweat-and-Tears!" . No, not the rock-band....Winston Churchill!!
There are no short cuts. No Timothy Chalamet! The CEO and COO should go on a virtual/in-person owners meeting at major centers. Invite the owners and listen to them.
The current trajectory is not going to make it!