Let’s talk about this rear view camera

The latest updates have two types of backup cameras; one is the normal one that you see, and the other is when the cameras don't initialize in time. I refer to this as the "Degraded Mode" rearview camera, because it is very laggy and lower resolution than the "normal" one. You can tell when the "Degraded" camera view is on because only the rear camera shows and there's a red line across the middle.

I've had a very dangerous issue occur to me rarely (twice now). For some reason, the rear view camera is keeping a recording and on those two occasions, the screen showed an old shot from earlier in the drive rather than the live feed. Fortunately I recognized this before backing up. I understand you should never rely solely on the screen. Nonetheless, showing a false shot rather than just blacking it out is extremely dangerous. It makes no sense why a recording is even kept and played back later.

I've had a very dangerous issue occur to me rarely (twice now). For some reason, the rear view camera is keeping a recording and on those two occasions, the screen showed an old shot from earlier in the drive rather than the live feed. Fortunately I recognized this before backing up. I understand you should never rely solely on the screen. Nonetheless, showing a false shot rather than just blacking it out is extremely dangerous. It makes no sense why a recording is even kept and played back later.
Is there a way to access the recording?

Is there a way to access the recording?
I assume it's some kind of internal recording for debugging not meant to ever be played back. In my case, it played back a still image of the last time the camera kicked on. This was in a residential area and I was in a parking lot.

I assume it's some kind of internal recording for debugging not meant to ever be played back. In my case, it played back a still image of the last time the camera kicked on. This was in a residential area and I was in a parking lot.
I wouldn’t call it a recording per se. Sounds more like the final frame(s) of the previous time the camera was up is getting caught in the frame buffer and persisting.

I wouldn’t call it a recording per se. Sounds more like the final frame(s) of the previous time the camera was up is getting caught in the frame buffer and persisting.
Yea, this sounds plausible and is more likely than a recording.

Yea, this sounds plausible and is more likely than a recording.
It’s definitely not playing back a recording.

It’s not much better, but the previous frame is certainly what’s happening.

Hi, @Nawppp.

Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

Marqie

I picked up my Lucid Air last week, and get this error multiple times per day. I was going to contact customer care, but from reading this thread, it seems that it's just another one of the many software bugs that will hopefully be fixed in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
I picked up my Lucid Air last week, and get this error multiple times per day. I was going to contact customer care, but from reading this thread, it seems that it's just another one of the many software bugs that will hopefully be fixed in the future.
Go ahead and report it. Also try what @bunnylebowski does, if you are in R, shift to D then back to R.

Back