Leg Room Tall People & 1st Impression

95.8% of all US men between the ages of 30-39 are under 6'3", to put it in perspective. And that's the largest age group.

Not making excuses. Just saying, if you are in that tiny minority of people, you have limited options for most things, including cars.

I just visited the Lucid Seattle Service Center. For three weeks, they have had a (temporary) Studio there too. Here are my impressions of Lucid. I confirmed order 3/30/22, AGT, Silver, Tahoe, 19”.

Pics of the 19" wheels and car stance please

For example, none of Audi car/SUV, BMW car/SUV, Lexus car/SUV, Acura car/SUV, or Porsche car/SUV made my cut.
This is telling. No Mercedes in there, but the rest of those brands are basically Lucid's competition.

Also not mentioned: Tesla. But I assume none of those make the cut, either. I was in the back of a Model X recently, and it was fine for me, but not overly spacious.

As it happens, I took some co-workers to lunch today, and I couldn't agree more about this car as it relates to tall people. My taller colleague is 6'6" and after watching him get in and out of the passenger front, there is absolutely no way I could see this working for him or for anyone else at that height. Not only did the seat have to go all the way back, but he had to dramatically recline it as well to give headroom. It's a great car if you're maybe 6'3" or under, but I definitely agree with @Bel, this would be a huge challenge for taller folks.
I'm 6'5" and had a different experience with a (pre-production) Grand Touring. I found a comfortable driving position for myself and then hopped in the back seat - and could sit comfortably. My wife and kids all noted there was more rear legroom in the Air than in my XC90 or the Model S we recently drove. The rear will be even roomier with a Touring/Pure due to the lower floor.

This is telling. No Mercedes in there, but the rest of those brands are basically Lucid's competition.

Also not mentioned: Tesla. But I assume none of those make the cut, either. I was in the back of a Model X recently, and it was fine for me, but not overly spacious.

Several reviewers have noted that their head hits the headliner in the rear seat of the Mercedes EQS but not in the Lucid Air.

We have a Model S Plaid, which has rear seating somewhat improved over our 2015 Model S it replaced. Earlier this year, I took some measurements of cabin space in the Plaid and in our Lucid Air Dream to post a comment on a YouTube video that claimed the Air was no roomier than the Tesla. I knew the review was nonsense, but I soldiered on, being very careful to remove as many variables (such as setback angles, and measuring the distance to the front footwell 4" above the floorboard to approximate the center point at where your foot rests) as I could with my measurements.

One of the measurements was with the driver seat in each car set at my preferred position. Measuring from the bottom rear of the front seat (to remove the setback angle as a factor) to the bottom front of the rear seat at the floorboard level, the Air had 9.5" more of fore-aft distance. The Plaid had a bit more toe room under the front seat than the Air, but it was nowhere near enough to offset the astonishing extra length of the Air's cabin.

Thanks for sharing your detailed review and opinions. Most insightful and helpful. After digesting this, I am surprised that you are talking about a return to evaluate it again. With the various unique restrictions you have, it certainly appears to me that this car was not designed with your stature in mind. I have watched videos of 6 foot plus guys getting into the driver seat and it always looks awkward to me. The thought of having to squeeze into a car just does not do it for me. Fortunately (?), I used to be 6 feet but with age, am not only 5"10.5'. Thus, I think I will tuck in without too much trouble. I would appreciate more comments on this subject from those who are currently driving the car.
I agree. I just want to go back and also visit a few other dealerships to sit in different cars for comparison on the same day since no car will be pefect for me. And lucid is certainly a novel car -- so makes it special. So some suffering may be ok. Ill have two cars no matter what i end up with. Before we had internet, finding pants and long sleeve garments was always a chore and nothing was perfect fitting.

Reactions: DJL
This may sound weird, but I'd say the guy in the video with Lucidnaire got in the car wrong. Sit your a$$ down first, then swing your legs in. That's how I fit in my Jag (and Audi and MB, etc.)
Yes, that how i do it.

95.8% of all US men between the ages of 30-39 are under 6'3", to put it in perspective. And that's the largest age group.

Not making excuses. Just saying, if you are in that tiny minority of people, you have limited options for most things, including cars.
Joe--always respect your posts--but what's the point here? Those of us 6'3"+ know who we are, and don't need statistics... we aren't knocking Lucid for failing to cater to us...I've been this height for 40 years and it's been an issue for every car Ive considered. Some have been WAY better than others (BMW 5&7, Audi 8, Jag XJL, etc). If Lucid makes it uncomfortable foe me to get in/out, I won't buy...no harm/foul

(Proud member of the 4.2%)

Joe--always respect your posts--but what's the point here? Those of us 6'3"+ know who we are, and don't need statistics... we aren't knocking Lucid for failing to cater to us...I've been this height for 40 years and it's been an issue for every car Ive considered. Some have been WAY better than others (BMW 5&7, Audi 8, Jag XJL, etc). If Lucid makes it uncomfortable foe me to get in/out, I won't buy...no harm/foul

(Proud member of the 4.2%)
My point is that while it’s unfortunate the OP couldn’t find a comfortable seating position in the Lucid, it’s far from uncommon. That’s all. I’m only 6'2", and I have trouble in a lot of cars, too. I can’t fit comfortably in the back seat of most cars. I was thrilled the low door openings didn’t bug me on the Air.

I think a lot of average height folks have no idea how tricky finding stuff that fits can be. They don’t have to think about how something as simple as height can effect daily life if you‘re out of the average zone. Companies cater to the 80/20 rule.

I agree, if the car doesn’t fit you, there’s no good reason to buy it.

My wife is 4'11". Always fun finding a car that both of us can drive comfortably.

Reactions: Bel
My point is that while it’s unfortunate the OP couldn’t find a comfortable seating position in the Lucid, it’s far from uncommon. That’s all. I’m only 6'2", and I have trouble in a lot of cars, too. I can’t fit comfortably in the back seat of most cars. I was thrilled the low door openings didn’t bug me on the Air.

I think a lot of average height folks have no idea how tricky finding stuff that fits can be. They don’t have to think about how something as simple as height can effect daily life if you‘re out of the average zone. Companies cater to the 80/20 rule.

I agree, if the car doesn’t fit you, there’s no good reason to buy it.

My wife is 4'11". Always fun finding a car that both of us can drive comfortably.
Well... you can pay for an Air with your height advantage!!!

The findings suggest that someone who is 6 feet tall earns, on average, nearly $166,000 more during a 30-year career than someone who is 5 feet 5 inches--even when controlling for gender, age and weight.

Well... you can pay for an Air with your height advantage!!!

The findings suggest that someone who is 6 feet tall earns, on average, nearly $166,000 more during a 30-year career than someone who is 5 feet 5 inches--even when controlling for gender, age and weight.
Ok, 6' $166,000 sounds good. How about each inch above 6'? Perhaps $50,000 would be good. :)

Reactions: DJL
Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I'm confused with all of the tall people having ample headroom in the rear of the lucid. I'm 6'5", 200lbs, so tall but not big.

I got a chance to test drive one finally this past weekend. The front was spacious and my only complaint was the lack of telescoping for the steering wheel. It was much too far away.

The rear was very disappointing. Legroom was ample, I'm glad I'm reserved for a Touring where I will get deeper footwells. However, my head hit the top in the rear seat. Is there some adjustment that I was missing that taller people don't have issues hitting their head. It honestly felt like when I attempted to fit into a miata and could only drive it with the top down since my head smashed into the roof.

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I'm confused with all of the tall people having ample headroom in the rear of the lucid. I'm 6'5", 200lbs, so tall but not big.

I got a chance to test drive one finally this past weekend. The front was spacious and my only complaint was the lack of telescoping for the steering wheel. It was much too far away.

The rear was very disappointing. Legroom was ample, I'm glad I'm reserved for a Touring where I will get deeper footwells. However, my head hit the top in the rear seat. Is there some adjustment that I was missing that taller people don't have issues hitting their head. It honestly felt like when I attempted to fit into a miata and could only drive it with the top down since my head smashed into the roof.
I'm curious to know how it was to get in and out of the driver's seat. In the showroom it required a considerable bend-and-duck to get in---I'm 6'3" btw.

Average height for American males now is 5’9”. Probably figured into car design I assume.

I'm 6'5" and had a different experience with a (pre-production) Grand Touring. I found a comfortable driving position for myself and then hopped in the back seat - and could sit comfortably.
At 6'4" and 220lbs this was my experience as well. I'll just add that knee height in the back seat is not great because of the batteries in the floor but it was far better than the Model S.
I have also said it before that I just needed 1-2" steering extension for that perfect seating position.

I drive a 911 also, and I'm totally used to ducking to enter. On dimensions alone, the Air was one of the most comfortable sedans I've sat in.

I'm curious to know how it was to get in and out of the driver's seat. In the showroom it required a considerable bend-and-duck to get in---I'm 6'3" btw.
It wasn't noticeably difficult. Although my current car is an SLC 300 roadster, so I guess anything is an improvement.

I have also said it before that I just needed 1-2" steering extension for that perfect seating position.

I drive a 911 also, and I'm totally used to ducking to enter. On dimensions alone, the Air was one of the most comfortable sedans I've sat in.
265BFC15-D4A6-4B63-9089-E715220CBB52.jpeg

Back