Leak??

I’m finding I’m having trouble with the soft close on the driver’s door. It happens only about 10% of the time but requires a good hard slam, then it’ll work again for a while. It’s also not easily noticeable. Mobile tech is supposed to come out sometime in the next few days to repair it. He’s already ordered the parts for it without even looking at it, so I’m guessing this may be common.

Hmmm maybe it didn’t close and I didn’t realize it. That would explain the crazy battery drain too if it was trying to close all night. It was closed when I got to the car in the morning.

Everytime I have issues with soft close, a reset will fix it doesn't happen that often and fixes itself when I run an errand anyways.

So
Interesting, that’s definitely a possibility. On my car when you open the door you see a LOT of retainer water dump out of the seals and run outside the car and lower door sill, but that water didn’t dump into the car because I saw the water channel away from the car when I opened the door. But maybe there is a weep hole that’s not aligned or blocked and it was getting in that way, may be the case since all that water dumped when I opened the door, you’d think you wouldn’t see that much retained water if it was working correctly. But they did do a thorough leak test and I’d think that would have shown a problem with the weep hole if that were the case.
So given this is a mystery, is Lucid helping you to replace all the wet carpet on warranty?

So

So given this is a mystery, is Lucid helping you to replace all the wet carpet on warranty?
I’ll discuss that with them today. I’d dried it up pretty well with towels and shop vac, and it was isolated to only the carpet under the back part of the driver seat. I’d applied scotch guard to the mats but not the carpet underneath yet, so it did get pretty wet. I’m not sure how they cleaned it yet but I’ll ask (steam clean to kill potential mold?). What they are replacing for sure is the Velcro carpet mat retainer, which sticks to the underside of the carpet mat so well that it actually pulled completely out of the carpet when I took the mat out to inspect the water damage, so be careful when taking out the carpet mats!

My SA said that it is highly unlikely you will get a Lucid for a loaner. He also said you probably won't get a car comparable to a Lucid. I asked if that meant I would get a Toyota Carolla or something like that, he didn't say no. There is nothing in the commitment that says they have to give you a Lucid loaner either. Until the production backlog is eliminated, you won't see a Lucid loaner for a couple of years. Lucid has over 30,000 reservations now and growing, and since they are only producing 14,000 cars in 2022, and likely the same in 2023, the backlog won't disappear until 2024 or 2025. I will demand at least a loaner comparable to a Lucid in size and near quality.

Exactly. I understand that Lucid needs to sell its new cars these days to survive so I don't expect a Lucid loaner but I do expect something approximately equivalent.

My BMW dealership normally gives me BMWs. Back in December my car was in for maintenance and to check on the battery pack (530e PHEV). The dealership provided me with a stripped 330i. When they discovered that there was a bad cell, and decided to replace the entire battery pack, I knew the car was going to be in for a week or so (needed to order in the battery pack). My BMW is loaded so I asked my service advisor if he could get me something a bit closer to my car while I waited. He found me a Hertz Cadillac XTS (my dealership was using Hertz as a backup provider...no charge to me).

Getting something like a Corolla as a loaner for a luxury car would tick me off.

Got my car back, they literally took the thing apart looking for possible leaks, removed seat, removed all B pillar housing/components, pressure washed for an hour, ran hose over it for 3 hours, investigated all seals everywhere, used compressed air to force water to try and break seals, and no leak found. I guess I shut the seatbelt in the door haha, can’t imagine what it cost them to investigate it and give me a rental. Anybody who complains about Lucid service has no clue, these guys are awesome.

Got my car back, they literally took the thing apart looking for possible leaks, removed seat, removed all B pillar housing/components, pressure washed for an hour, ran hose over it for 3 hours, investigated all seals everywhere, used compressed air to force water to try and break seals, and no leak found. I guess I shut the seatbelt in the door haha, can’t imagine what it cost them to investigate it and give me a rental. Anybody who complains about Lucid service has no clue, these guys are awesome.
Thanks for sharing - this is a relief for us all, but more so for you I suspect.

Glad to hear it wasn’t anything serious! Just got our GT delivered a few weeks ago and I have been noticing a slight vibration as well but not sure if it is just the main road I live on. Only seem to notice it there. Did service folks get a chance to look into your vibration issue?

Glad to hear it wasn’t anything serious! Just got our GT delivered a few weeks ago and I have been noticing a slight vibration as well but not sure if it is just the main road I live on. Only seem to notice it there. Did service folks get a chance to look into your vibration issue?
Oh yeah, their initial fix was to rebalance/remount/torque the tires as they did find one tire to be not balanced correctly. That however didn’t fix it. So when they had the car this time they did do a highway test, said they couldn’t replicate it but rebalanced and did a “road force adjustment” and said the car works as designed, but want a mobile service tech to come to me and go for a ride with me so I can show them the issue and then we’ll go from there, I’ll probably have them go for a ride with me in a couple weeks. I’m beginning to think it is road specific, as it’s not terrible, and I notice it on some roads more than others, but it’s almost like a slightly bouncy oscillation, like a subtler version of the porpoising problems the new Formula 1 cars are having. Maybe the Pirelli tires combined with insane aerodynamics make this car more sensitive to road imperfections? It’s not bad or disruptive or ride ruining, just weird. I haven’t taken it on highway speeds yet since I got it back, so not sure yet if it’s better.

Oh yeah, their initial fix was to rebalance/remount/torque the tires as they did find one tire to be not balanced correctly. That however didn’t fix it. So when they had the car this time they did do a highway test, said they couldn’t replicate it but rebalanced and did a “road force adjustment” and said the car works as designed, but want a mobile service tech to come to me and go for a ride with me so I can show them the issue and then we’ll go from there, I’ll probably have them go for a ride with me in a couple weeks. I’m beginning to think it is road specific, as it’s not terrible, and I notice it on some roads more than others, but it’s almost like a slightly bouncy oscillation, like a subtler version of the porpoising problems the new Formula 1 cars are having. Maybe the Pirelli tires combined with insane aerodynamics make this car more sensitive to road imperfections? It’s not bad or disruptive or ride ruining, just weird. I haven’t taken it on highway speeds yet since I got it back, so not sure yet if it’s better.
There seems to be at least 3 of us with this oscillating issue. I don’t think we’re crazy or overly sensitive considering the other feedback I’ve seen here.

Last edited:
There seems to be at least 3 of us with this oscillating issue. I don’t think we’re crazy or overly sensitive considering the other feedback I’ve seen here.
So after driving it at highway speeds it’s still there but seems more noticeable on some road surfaces than others. I do believe my tech at the service center when he said he couldn’t replicate it. I feel the vibration in the seat also, not just the steering, when my hands are off the wheel. I think these Pirellis are the problem, but I’m gonna have their mobile tech come by when I have a chance to go on a ride together so I can show him what’s going on. It’s not bad, and they’re definitely not blowing me off pretending everything is ok, Markus their service advisor called me and still wants to keep looking into it.

Doesn’t smell damp, but they had the car for a week so it may have dissipated.
Glad to see the leak issue is somewhat resolved. Best of luck on the vibrations, those are tough, subtle, intermittent, and like some IT issue, when the Tech is with you, it's works fine. At least the mobile tech option can help him sees the problem in real time.

Glad to see the leak issue is somewhat resolved. Best of luck on the vibrations, those are tough, subtle, intermittent, and like some IT issue, when the Tech is with you, it's works fine. At least the mobile tech option can help him sees the problem in real time.
I’m now thinking it’s the Pirelli tires. I got up early before work and took the car on some back roads in Swift mode and felt no vibrations and I gunned it several times, but on the highway I’m feeling that weird subtle shaking in the seat intermittently. I’ll do some more experimentation but I’m wondering if the sound deadening foam in the tires makes them impossible to accurately balance.

I’m now thinking it’s the Pirelli tires. I got up early before work and took the car on some back roads in Swift mode and felt no vibrations and I gunned it several times, but on the highway I’m feeling that weird subtle shaking in the seat intermittently. I’ll do some more experimentation but I’m wondering if the sound deadening foam in the tires makes them impossible to accurately balance.
One tire that is out of round could cause the vibration, although my many sets of P Zeros, Sottozeros, M Alpins and M PS4's were all perfect. Years ago my new CL500 had an out-of-round Dumlop OE tire that was replaced.

One tire that is out of round could cause the vibration, although my many sets of P Zeros, Sottozeros, M Alpins and M PS4's were all perfect. Years ago my new CL500 had an out-of-round Dumlop OE tire that was replaced.
Hmmm, sounds like that could be it? They did do road force balancing, I’d assume they checked for radial runout, as that sounds more like the slightly bouncy vibration I feel in the seat, but maybe not. When I have time I’ll have the mobile service tech take a ride with me. Apparently they don’t have a lot of them in the Northeast yet but my service advisor Markus said they were getting more in the next couple weeks.

Back