LA to San Jose on a single charge

Aggie-EVrookie

Cars
Lucid Air GT
Planning a trip from LA to the Bay Area in a GT with 20 inch wheels. What kind of range should I expect in a new car(1500 miles)? Has anyone been able to get all the way to Gilroy without having to charge in between? Any recommendations on charging stops.

There are multiple EA locations to stop for a charge on 101. You know about the Gilroy Outlets. When I go South I usually stop in Paso Robles (lots of good eating within a short walk), or the Pismo Outlets if Paso Robles is full (check the EA App). Ventura Mall is also good. And there is a station in Oxnard. There are others but those are the ones I usually stop at and I don't go any further South.

On the way from the Bay Area, Gilroy won't do much good. On the way back, it might be helpful but there are fewer restaurant choices. The Oxnard one is a good location and lots of reasons that I might want to stop there to eat or shop anyway. Ventura also seems good, but it's close by so it's still one general area. On the trip home, assuming that my charge it relatively low, it might be a good place to charge. On the way from the Bay Area to LA, I'm having trouble finding places that I'd want to stop for lunch where I could charge.

Ideally, I'd like to see a trip planner that lets you pick restaurants along the route that happen to be near high speed chargers rather than showing chargers along the route and leaving it to people to figure out what's nearby.

On the way from the Bay Area, Gilroy won't do much good. On the way back, it might be helpful but there are fewer restaurant choices. The Oxnard one is a good location and lots of reasons that I might want to stop there to eat or shop anyway. Ventura also seems good, but it's close by so it's still one general area. On the trip home, assuming that my charge it relatively low, it might be a good place to charge. On the way from the Bay Area to LA, I'm having trouble finding places that I'd want to stop for lunch where I could charge.

Ideally, I'd like to see a trip planner that lets you pick restaurants along the route that happen to be near high speed chargers rather than showing chargers along the route and leaving it to people to figure out what's nearby.
Depot stop is good. Goleta is good

on trips from SD to the Bay Area, I have done charges in the Santa Clarita valley to avoid the issue of lines / broken chargers on I-5 in the Central Valley. I can generally make it from there to the Bay Area without another charge (GT with 19” wheels), and due to the EA issues, I have actually never stopped in Kettleman City because it has always been full, or all the “not broken” chargers are in use. I have stopped at other stations along that route, but have encountered issues more than half the time. Now I try to avoid charging in the Central Valley if at all possible.

In addition, going on long trips across the country, have always tried to charge at a stop earlier than necessary. That way if there is an issue, I have enough juice to make it to the next one. I end up stopping more, but with less “working charger” anxiety. I am hopeful that at some point in the future with better infrastructure, I won’t have to do that.

on trips from SD to the Bay Area, I have done charges in the Santa Clarita valley to avoid the issue of lines / broken chargers on I-5 in the Central Valley. I can generally make it from there to the Bay Area without another charge (GT with 19” wheels), and due to the EA issues, I have actually never stopped in Kettleman City because it has always been full, or all the “not broken” chargers are in use. I have stopped at other stations along that route, but have encountered issues more than half the time. Now I try to avoid charging in the Central Valley if at all possible.

In addition, going on long trips across the country, have always tried to charge at a stop earlier than necessary. That way if there is an issue, I have enough juice to make it to the next one. I end up stopping more, but with less “working charger” anxiety. I am hopeful that at some point in the future with better infrastructure, I won’t have to do that.
That looks like a good area to stop for lunch and charge while eating, if it will get me the rest of the way without needing a charge. I've stopped in that area for Tesla charging because it's enough past LA that stations aren't bogged down with traffic.

When you say that you never stopped at Kettleman City, does that mean that you went there with the intent to stop but couldn't find anything working or available, or is that that the consensus?

Also, in terms of charging time, is there any significant difference between 150kW and 350kW if you start with more than 45% remaining range?

That looks like a good area to stop for lunch and charge while eating, if it will get me the rest of the way without needing a charge. I've stopped in that area for Tesla charging because it's enough past LA that stations aren't bogged down with traffic.

When you say that you never stopped at Kettleman City, does that mean that you went there with the intent to stop but couldn't find anything working or available, or is that that the consensus?

Also, in terms of charging time, is there any significant difference between 150kW and 350kW if you start with more than 45% remaining range?
No difference.

the app has always said “station full” so I have never exited for that station. Must be unlucky as to the times I pass that spot since others have had success.
No difference. I have actually had better charging speeds on the 150’s so I never hunt for a 350. If you are at a really low SOC, the 350s might save you a couple of minutes.

the app has always said “station full” so I have never exited for that station. Must be unlucky as to the times I pass that spot since others have had success.

No difference. I have actually had better charging speeds on the 150’s so I never hunt for a 350. If you are at a really low SOC, the 350s might save you a couple of minutes.
Same. I have better luck in general with 150s. And when I manage to get more than 150 out of them, it feels like a bonus instead of a disappointment.

This if for the Dream but I'm sure similar to others.... at SOC of 45% or greater they pretty much overlap.

lucid-air-dc-fast-charge-comparison Large.jpeg

This if for the Dream but I'm sure similar to others.... at SOC of 45% or greater they pretty much overlap.

View attachment 17178

Did they compare the time saved by starting at zero on the 350?

Based on my rough calculations, they should have saved about 7 minutes. In the overall scheme of things, that seems insignificant.

So when you see my MME charging on a 350, don't get mad. Maybe you will save 7 minutes. Most likely you are not at zero percent SoC, and will save much less than 7 minutes by using a 350 charger. If you are at 10% or higher, you will save at most 5 minutes. Is it worth getting angry at me when you can only save 5 minutes? Or 3 minutes?

Merry Christmas!

Did they compare the time saved by starting at zero on the 350?
For that, you want this curve. Typically about six minutes savings on a 350kW charging station whether adding 200, 300, or 400 miles. Twelve vs eighteen minutes, 22 vs 28 minutes, 37 vs 43 minutes.

1703293052055.png

It depends on where you start the charge. If you are at 200 miles of range, the amount of time is identical to get to 400 miles.

Back