• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Jersey Purchases

JerseyStrong

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
Any folks here who are residents of NJ who have completed their purchase? If so, I’m curious as to what if any State incentives were applicable to your sale. Today I had a conversation with my State Senator’s legislative aid about the barriers NJ Auto Franchise laws place upon EV startups which wish have direct sales and the loss of incentives by purchasers because the sale doesn’t go through a NJ dealer. I would encourage NJ folk on this forum who are still waiting for purchase to contact your state rep/Senator as well.

Sales Tax Exemption - Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) (N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55)
There is no sales tax on 100% EVs in NJ for NJ residents. There are other incentives on ZEVs costing <$55000, and for charging ports.

Sales Tax Exemption - Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) (N.J.S.A. 54:32B-8.55)​

The New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Act provides a sales and use tax exemption for zero emission vehicles (ZEVs), which are vehicles certified pursuant to the California Air Resources Board zero emission standards for the model year.

The exemption is NOT applicable to partial zero emission vehicles, which includes hybrids such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid. The exemption is also NOT applicable to labor or parts for qualified vehicles.

The definition of "sale" in the law includes rentals and leases. Thus, the exemption is applicable to the sale, rental or lease of a new or used zero emission motor vehicle on and after May 1, 2004.

Lucid is on the list of ZEVs that NJ recognizes. Must be registered in NJ by a NJ resident to qualify for the sales tax exemption.

We got $5k back from the state for our Tesla, which at the time had an MSRP of $54,900. Had to fill out some paperwork and wait six months to get the check.

Only requirement was that the vehicle be under $55k and full EV, and you need to keep it for at least three years.

That program has dwindled now. The rebate is pro-rated based on the sale price, up to $55k.

More info here:

NJEVA.org has good info on it as well. They have a good newsletter which goes out with all the info.

Many thanks. I did ask the legislative aide to consider having the rebate pro-rated based on income rather than price of the car. My argument was that if a middle class income/wage earner had saved and wanted/needed to buy a car with the highest range they could afford, why should they be penalized by an arbitrary cost cap rather than providing a pro-rated incentive based on income. I have no idea if this will go anywhere, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Many thanks. I did ask the legislative aide to consider having the rebate pro-rated based on income rather than price of the car. My argument was that if a middle class income/wage earner had saved and wanted/needed to buy a car with the highest range they could afford, why should they be penalized by an arbitrary cost cap rather than providing a pro-rated incentive based on income. I have no idea if this will go anywhere, but I thought it was worth bringing up.
Now you’re making way too much sense.

I completed my purchase and picked up the GT in Short hills last week. There was no sales tax on the purchase. I do not believe we qualify for any state rebate since car costs over $55K. BTW, love the car. Best driving vehicle I have ever owned by far. Software is really not that bad. I compare it to similar minor bugs I have had in prior Porsche and Audi vehicles. Only issue I have now is a faulty TPMS on one of the tires and service will be coming out to my house to fix. I was a little apprehensive given all of the complaints on this forum but am glad I went ahead and took delivery.

The NJ Sales tax exemption is interesting. I cant find anywhere if PA offers the same incentive/exemption. It's a tidy sum I can spend on options instead. Anyone with info if PA has a similar exemption?

That is good to hear. If by any chance you got a
I completed my purchase and picked up the GT in Short hills last week. There was no sales tax on the purchase. I do not believe we qualify for any state rebate since car costs over $55K. BTW, love the car. Best driving vehicle I have ever owned by far. Software is really not that bad. I compare it to similar minor bugs I have had in prior Porsche and Audi vehicles. Only issue I have now is a faulty TPMS on one of the tires and service will be coming out to my house to fix. I was a little apprehensive given all of the complaints on this forum but am glad I went ahead and took delivery.

NNPCDude, if by any chance you ordered the Zenith red and live in NJ, I would love to meet you and see what the color looks like in real life. It’s the color I have on my reservation,but it would be great to see it on a car rather than just on the small model.

NNPCDude, if by any chance you ordered the Zenith red and live in NJ, I would love to meet you and see what the color looks like in real life. It’s the color I have on my reservation,but it would be great to see it on a car rather than just on the small model.

I actually got the Quantum Grey with the Mojave interior. I got 19 inch wheels due to our wonderful winters here. I altered the 19 inch wheels as has been described elsewhere and they look great. You can have service center do this for you prior to delivery. I will post a picture.

A4EF326F-9920-4582-8BBF-6A5CFCB817DD.jpeg

That’s my wife’s choice but I’m not sure how the Pure with a solid roof will look without the accent of the glass roof to set it off.

I like the look of the modified wheels. By any chance did you forego the front license plate? I noticed that the owner of the garage where I take my ice vehicles has a Porsche with no front plate. When I questioned him about it, he said he has not had one for years on his cars and has never been cited for it. I asked specifically about when you take it for inspection down the road if they had ever called him on it. He replied, “No.”. So I am sorely tempted to sign off on not having one.

I like the look of the modified wheels. By any chance did you forego the front license plate? I noticed that the owner of the garage where I take my ice vehicles has a Porsche with no front plate. When I questioned him about it, he said he has not had one for years on his cars and has never been cited for it. I asked specifically about when you take it for inspection down the road if they had ever called him on it. He replied, “No.”. So I am sorely tempted to sign off on not having one.
I actually did get the front license plate on it. I debated but I had a porsche without it and I was stopped once for it and just didn't want to deal with getting stopped again. Just a personal preference. I think that it looks fine to me with the plate holder . You could also consider a license plate wrap which some of the other members have done as well.

I actually did get the front license plate on it. I debated but I had a porsche without it and I was stopped once for it and just didn't want to deal with getting stopped again. Just a personal preference. I think that it looks fine to me with the plate holder . You could also consider a license plate wrap which some of the other members have done as well.
The wrap is what I am considering. Thank you so much for your kindness of replying to these concerns. All the best to you with your car. I’m an early Pure reserver, so I’m not expecting delivery until the end of 1st quarter/beginning of 2nd quarter 2023. And even that, as we all know, could shift.

The NJ Sales tax exemption is interesting. I cant find anywhere if PA offers the same incentive/exemption. It's a tidy sum I can spend on options instead. Anyone with info if PA has a similar exemption?
I live in PA too and have been researching EV rebates, etc. Other than the $7500 federal tax credit and a paltry $50ish credit from a few electric suppliers, it doesn’t look like any EV over $50K qualifies for anything.
Please someone, prove me wrong!

I live in PA too and have been researching EV rebates, etc. Other than the $7500 federal tax credit and a paltry $50ish credit from a few electric suppliers, it doesn’t look like any EV over $50K qualifies for anything.
Please someone, prove me wrong!
That is consistent with my research as a PA resident.

Back