JD Power: EVs and and plug-in hybrids have more problems than combustion engine cars

DJL

Verified Owner
Does this sound familar?:
"Infotainment issues do go up for PHEV and EVs,” Amodeo said. “A lot of OEMs are viewing EVs as the ‘vehicle’ that will transform us into the era of the smart cars, and all the extra content they are adding has a lot to do with this.”
Or how about this?
"The other reason for the quality gap is that EVs make heavier use of manufacturer-design apps that control certain functions of the car, from locking and unlocking the doors remotely to monitoring battery charge. First-time EV buyers especially may not yet be fluent in reading their vehicle’s range and connecting it to a charging station."
To read the article, just click HERE.

Infotainment is the least of the problems I'd worry about in a hybrid. They have all of the ICE parts and all of the EV parts, so some magnitude more of potential for issues on either set of components. Packaging, weight and the additional heat generated are also problems I'd worry about. The delta on price was never appealing for me for the minimal benefit in mpg increase.

Does this sound familar?:
"Infotainment issues do go up for PHEV and EVs,” Amodeo said. “A lot of OEMs are viewing EVs as the ‘vehicle’ that will transform us into the era of the smart cars, and all the extra content they are adding has a lot to do with this.”
Or how about this?
"The other reason for the quality gap is that EVs make heavier use of manufacturer-design apps that control certain functions of the car, from locking and unlocking the doors remotely to monitoring battery charge. First-time EV buyers especially may not yet be fluent in reading their vehicle’s range and connecting it to a charging station."
To read the article, just click HERE.

This certainly reflects my experience. I've had more car problems caused by electronics over the years than by mechanical issues, whether in our ICE vehicles or our three EVs.

I had a 2000 Jaguar S-Type that had to have all the electronic displays replaced twice. I had a 2003 Audi S6 that I got rid of after a year because the OnStar software Audi licensed from GM/Delco kept causing the battery to drain. Audi was never able to fix the problem, and I had to keep jumper cables in the car at all times. Our 2011 and our 2018 Honda Odysseys have recurrent oddities in the audio systems, including in the newer one occasional sudden defaults over to the rear entertainment system that can be canceled only by rebooting the system.

As our two Teslas and our Lucid have far more functionality controlled by software, we have consequently encountered more problems operating features in those cars than in our ICE vehicles.

Fortunately, the vast superiority of the electric powertrains over ICE powertrains has made living with the electronic gremlins more tolerable.

Back