Founding Member
Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Something weird happened this morning. We asked "Hey, Lucid" to navigate to Captiva Island in Florida. It gave us a list of everything in Florida with "Captiva" in it -- except Captiva Island. So I instead asked Siri on my iPhone to navigate there. Not much better. So I canceled Siri, looked up a restaurant on Captiva, and put that address into the Lucid nav system.

The car began navigating to the desired address, and my partner, who is learning Danish, started telling me about some odd usage quirks in Danish. We were also listening to Spotify in the background. Suddenly, the car audio muted and we began getting an audio ad through the sound system. I was so confused that it took me a second to realize a female voice was delivering an ad. The ad finished, we looked at each other in stunned silence for a few seconds, and my partner resumed his complaints about Danish. About a mile later he was again interrupted by an audio ad coming through the car's audio, this time in a man's voice. I bellowed "Cancel", and the ad stopped. This did not recur during the rest of the trip. As far as I know, Siri was not open and this seemed to be coming from the car.

What the hell was going on? Was it "Hey, Lucid"? What it the iPhone? Was it Spotify (for which I have a premium account)?

Although this was so confusing that I can't correlate the ad contents to anything that was being said by either of us in the car, it seemed to be triggered by monitoring our in-car conversation. We had a thread recently on this forum about Ford's application for a software patent that just did such a thing -- and it infuriated everyone.

Has some outfit actually done this?

If there's anything that would make me dump a car, it's having to put up with this invasive crap while driving.

By chance was it a podcast?

Nope. We were listening to music by Gipsy Kings on Spotify (a pretty mediocre band that had been referenced in a movie we watched last night and that we wanted to check out).

There is a very dark side to this interconnected world we're developing and to advertising's quietly spreading like a cancer into every nook and crevice of our lives.

Nope. We were listening to music by Gipsy Kings on Spotify (a pretty mediocre band that had been referenced in a movie we watched last night and that we wanted to check out).

There is a very dark side to this interconnected world we're developing and to advertising's quietly spreading like a cancer into every nook and crevice of our lives.
Been going on for years. Software tracks your clicks, moves etc. voice assistants listen to everything in order to market products to you.

The biggest con is how companies say “we care about privacy” it’s basically “we won’t sell your data but we’re certainly going to use it to our own benefit”. Data is king in this day and age which is why you see many companies reluctant to give Apple, Amazon, Google etc. the keys to the kingdom and try and go it along on things.

Back