InsideEV Charging Curve for Lucid Air Dream

What do you find for level 2 charging at Hotels and other destinations? Is it reliable or do you need to plan on using the level 3 network?

I have found that level 2 chargers are a mix for three reasons. They can be blocked, out of service, or already occupied. So if planning on staying at a destination and using a level 2 charger, I would suggest having a level 3 backup.

I've been driving non-Tesla EV's on road trips for several years and have always been able to charge at a level 3 location. The worst case has been the charger runs real slow (30kW for example) so it takes 2-3X as long to charge, or it takes a call with the charging company to get the charger reset. Both are a pain, but at least you are able to continue on your trip.

I have found the Plugshare ratings and comments to be pretty accurate. For example people may post that at a specific location one of the chargers is broken or running slow. So this helps you quickly identify which charger to avoid.

I've driven our Audi E-tron and Taycan on many road trips with very little issues overall. I'm super excited to get my Lucid on the road!

It seems as though a lot of Tesla fanboys spread the BS gospel of Warren Redlich, so Tom had to dispel all the nonsense with a detailed, fact-based article:

i found the article very insightful and it explained a lot about charging loss. Worth the rea.

I found the section on Lucid battery specs interesting. Tom shows that battery as having 30 parallel strings of 220 cells. He references page 16 of the EPA documents, but this information in not in the EPA document. I have speculated in another thread that I thought Lucid was using this configuration. The math to arrive at this conclusion is straight forward but I wonder if Tom was also told this by the Lucid engineers.

How does that effect efficiency in comparison to the way Tesla sets up their battery packs?

In the Tesla Model S, they use 1865 cells versus the 2170 in Lucid making a comparison difficult. Tesla uses a series string of 110 cells where Lucid uses a series string of 220 cells. Hence, Lucid is operating with twice the voltage. The increased voltage will improve drive efficiency by lowering currents through the inverter and motors when driving. It will also speed charging when charging is limited by the current into the car (on 350kW DC chargers). Hence, the over 300kW charge seen by Tom at the beginning of the charge cycle being the fastest he has ever seen. However, the configuration does not have much impact on charging efficiency. Since the Lucid can charge faster, it will generate heat faster during charging than a slower charging car. That heat will need to be removed by cooling the battery. Lucid will have more cooling needed but for a shorter period of time. I cannot tell if that will be more or less efficient, likely somewhat less since the cooling system will be sized for the higher heat generation.

Lucid has focused their efforts on drive efficiency and quick charging, not on charging efficiency.

Back