Hydrophobic coating for windshield?

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Has anyone tried a self-applied hydrophobic coating for their windshield like Rain-X or Aquapel on their Air?
I used Rain-X once on another car and it caused the wipers to chatter. To eliminate the chatter, I had to use a glass stripper and change out the wiper blades. So I'm hesitant to try again.

Has anyone tried a self-applied hydrophobic coating for their windshield like Rain-X or Aquapel on their Air?
I used Rain-X once on another car and it caused the wipers to chatter. To eliminate the chatter, I had to use a glass stripper and change out the wiper blades. So I'm hesitant to try again.
According to @TotalDetailingPA you need to apply those coatings horizontally or they chatter like you said. There's a post somewhere where he mentions it.

According to @TotalDetailingPA you need to apply those coatings horizontally or they chatter like you said. There's a post somewhere where he mentions it.
Not necessarily the direction as much as it is ceramic coating the blades too. You also need to use a specific Glass coating. (We use Ceramic Pro Glass)

I’ve had Aquapel on on my Air windshield, top glass and rear for over a year. I did apply it horizontally, but then overlapped it vertically until I got good coverage. You have to work fast as the product comes out quickly at first. I’ve had no chattering. Since it’s been over a year, it’s held up pretty well – I’d say it’s about 80% as good as when first applied. The key is to really clean the windshield well first, usually with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Also, during application, don’t apply too much to one area expecting that you can later spread it out evenly. It’s really hard to buff it smooth.

This morning, I didn’t try Rain-X Glass Water Repellant as such, I used something else called “Rain-X 2-In-1 Glass Cleaner”. I also did not run my wiper blades at all.

I drove in about 90 minutes of a continuous light rain. The Rain-X 2 In 1 never failed me, keeping the windscreen relatively clear for as long as my car was moving.

I’m so glad I did not apply the original Rain-X you are asking about. I would hate to have to deal with chatttering wipers, or stripping the glass after.

Not necessarily the direction as much as it is ceramic coating the blades too. You also need to use a specific Glass coating. (We use Ceramic Pro Glass)
Thanks for chiming in!

I’ve used Rain-X twice now on my AGT. No chattering from the very nominal use of wipers, when at low speed, when Rain-X effects don’t yet kick-in (first I’ve ever heard chattering could be an issue). Rain-x has worked wonderfully on both occasions.

I never knew of the reco to apply vertically. I just clean the windshield with a good glass cleaner, then spray Rain-X on a soft cloth and apply in an overlapping circular motion, then buff it off with a clean cloth, again in an overlapping circular motion.

I think the bottle directions say to apply another layer, but I’ve never bothered in all the years I’ve used Rain-X. Maybe my one-layer application is more thorough than the bottle directions anticipate…or maybe Rain-X marketing is hoping to influence users to go through their supply twice as fast?!

I've been using Rain-X for at least 23 years on the same vehicle with no wiperblade chattering whatsoever and I've applied it in all directions, it just works. Truly a great product. If one gets above 30 to 35 mph, you'll never have to use your wipers regardless of how hard it's raining.

I have been using Rain-x Pro Cerami-X 2 in 1... works fine, no chatter. I reapply as needed.

I've been using Rain-X for at least 23 years on the same vehicle with no wiperblade chattering whatsoever and I've applied it in all directions, it just works. Truly a great product. If one gets above 30 to 35 mph, you'll never have to use your wipers regardless of how hard it's raining.
I applied Rain-X to my MKZ. loved how it repelled water, but found at night if I had to use the wipers they created a film as they swiped across the windshield that interfered with vision. Removed it and have been hesitant to reapply. Suggestions?

Back