How to remove phone as a key

CLTGT

Verified Owner
Cars
73 Mustang Conv & the GT
Ok, I admit, I am asking this here instead of going out to figure it out on my own because I am lazy, and technology challenged andI would rather do it right the first time than screw something up. In the brief time I have owned this car, we have gotten into it a few times with my wife’s profile showing as I guess it has read her phone approaching before recognizing mine. Crazy enough, the seats do not adjust to her positions as I guess it does see my face. It does not change the user on the screen though so the music does not return to where I had it.

This is not too big of a deal as we have decided to use it like my old car, meaning she just has to have a Fob. She does not plan to drive the car unless she really has to and is fine with grabbing the Fob out of the drawer that has been programmed, and marked, for her use. She does like the ability though to condition the cabin and lock/unlock the door via the app.

What is the best way to remove her phone as a “key” without just deleting the app?

Settings, access &profiles, profile detection, keys, edit, remove

Ok, I admit, I am asking this here instead of going out to figure it out on my own because I am lazy, and technology challenged andI would rather do it right the first time than screw something up. In the brief time I have owned this car, we have gotten into it a few times with my wife’s profile showing as I guess it has read her phone approaching before recognizing mine. Crazy enough, the seats do not adjust to her positions as I guess it does see my face. It does not change the user on the screen though so the music does not return to where I had it.

This is not too big of a deal as we have decided to use it like my old car, meaning she just has to have a Fob. She does not plan to drive the car unless she really has to and is fine with grabbing the Fob out of the drawer that has been programmed, and marked, for her use. She does like the ability though to condition the cabin and lock/unlock the door via the app.

What is the best way to remove her phone as a “key” without just deleting the app?
I’m baffled that Lucid doesn’t detect which phone or fob opened the door and adjust the seat accordingly. Waiting until you sit down and verify with facial recognition ignores the fact that I CAN’T sit down when the seat is adjusted for my wife. Hope they change this eventually. Or maybe implement Apple Car Key so I can just wave my phone over the pillar and have everything open and adjust to me. Bluetooth seems like a fool’s errand at this point. Tesla managed to make it somewhat reliable after many years, but it’s still not perfect.

I’m baffled that Lucid doesn’t detect which phone or fob opened the door and adjust the seat accordingly. Waiting until you sit down and verify with facial recognition ignores the fact that I CAN’T sit down when the seat is adjusted for my wife. Hope they change this eventually. Or maybe implement Apple Car Key so I can just wave my phone over the pillar and have everything open and adjust to me. Bluetooth seems like a fool’s errand at this point. Tesla managed to make it somewhat reliable after many years, but it’s still not perfect.
So Tesla has directional proximity sensors for the mobile key? That's pretty nifty actually. So if both you and your wife walk up with your phones it can detect which person is on the driver side and adjust the seats based off that?

So Tesla has directional proximity sensors for the mobile key? That's pretty nifty actually. So if both you and your wife walk up with your phones it can detect which person is on the driver side and adjust the seats based off that?
No, they don’t have that, unfortunately. But at least if I’m just walking up to the car, and it’s currently set to her seating position because she last drove, it switches to me before I sit down. My understanding is that the Air does not do that. It needs to verify your face first. Please tell me I’m wrong about that.

If we both walk up to the car simultaneously, the Tesla will get which one of us is driving correct maybe 60% of the time. But Bluetooth is just not precise enough to detect which one of us is on the driver side with any accuracy.

Apple CarKey would allow for tying a specific profile to a phone, and I believe it uses NFT, or whatever the pillar detectors use for the card key. So it would be more accurate. Of course, pulling your phone out would be required. But that’s better than not being able to sit down at all.

Facial recognition in the Lucid will prevent the car from suddenly changing from my profile to her’s AFTER I sit down, which has happened in my Tesla quite a few times.

Well, here is the antique in me again. I would have been fine with using a Fob and it working just like my BMW and MB Fobs with respect to locking and unlocking. Same with Homelink, and Sirius for that matter. I can live with the retraining I am currently undergoing in this process, but it really wasn’t necessary.

Tesla is not always the benchmark! A friend of mine‘s wife left her phone and purse with the key in their Model 3 one day. Her husband locked the car. Later, he left with a friend. Despite the fact that her key and phone were in the car, she had no way to unlock the car. She had to call her husband and have him come back to unlock it. I imagine there’s other ways, but nothing she could think of at the time.

No, they don’t have that, unfortunately. But at least if I’m just walking up to the car, and it’s currently set to her seating position because she last drove, it switches to me before I sit down. My understanding is that the Air does not do that. It needs to verify your face first. Please tell me I’m wrong about that.

If we both walk up to the car simultaneously, the Tesla will get which one of us is driving correct maybe 60% of the time. But Bluetooth is just not precise enough to detect which one of us is on the driver side with any accuracy.

Apple CarKey would allow for tying a specific profile to a phone, and I believe it uses NFT, or whatever the pillar detectors use for the card key. So it would be more accurate. Of course, pulling your phone out would be required. But that’s better than not being able to sit down at all.

Facial recognition in the Lucid will prevent the car from suddenly changing from my profile to her’s AFTER I sit down, which has happened in my Tesla quite a few times.
There is an option to load preferences from detection of the key. I know it works for fobs because when I drive with dad and he uses his fob, it will load his preferences because it detects his fob. The problem is that it works, but because the profile loading seems like it's the last thing to load after unlocking the car, you might be standing there for 30 seconds before it loads it up and adjusts all the seating, mirrors, etc.

There is an option to load preferences from detection of the key. I know it works for fobs because when I drive with dad and he uses his fob, it will load his preferences because it detects his fob. The problem is that it works, but because the profile loading seems like it's the last thing to load after unlocking the car, you might be standing there for 30 seconds before it loads it up and adjusts all the seating, mirrors, etc.
Okay. But if they at least do that, I trust the speed will increase eventually. If it works with the phone key as well, and they speed it up, it’ll at least be on par with Tesla.

Bluetooth does not have much directional capability even if the car has multiple receivers. For some reason my wifes old iPhone 7 opens the Lucid faster than my newer iPhone so the car often sets her profile. Like others, I can barely get into the car with the seat set for my wife. The real solution to this is UWB which provides better security, lower power and location accuracy to a cm. With UWB, it is easy to determine which side of the car a phone is on and even if the phone is inside the car. Both Apple and Samsung have UWB capability built into their recent phones. It is a matter of time until the car makers start using it. I expect BMW will be first to offer it.

...Tesla managed to make it somewhat reliable after many years, but it’s still not perfect.
Many times I'd get into my Model 3 with my wife's phone far away, and have to frantically change the profile back to mine as the car had just switched to my wife's and began trying to crush me against the steering wheel.

Many times I'd get into my Model 3 with my wife's phone far away, and have to frantically change the profile back to mine as the car had just switched to my wife's and began trying to crush me against the steering wheel.
Yes. That is a very scary situation. And it doesn’t help that the profile button is not as easy to get to as it used to be. I’ve panicked more than once.

Tesla is not always the benchmark! A friend of mine‘s wife left her phone and purse with the key in their Model 3 one day. Her husband locked the car. Later, he left with a friend. Despite the fact that her key and phone were in the car, she had no way to unlock the car. She had to call her husband and have him come back to unlock it. I imagine there’s other ways, but nothing she could think of at the time.
I thought you could lock/unlock Lucids and Teslas remotely? That isn’t possible? I can lock and unlock my I pace no matter where I am in relation to the vehicle using the app. I use it all the time honestly, even though I don’t really need it. Kind of like the sensors to open the trunk hands free.

Yes on both.

Back