Highway assist in riyadh city

It certainly can be done in a given market but at an expensive price for all the technology. Waymo has essentially done that in greater Phoenix...driverless cars taking paying passengers around town. And, the Waymos have an excellent accident rate. The biggest problem I have seen is if they encounter an unexpected change such as a lane being turned because of construction. But the worst thing that happens is that the car freezes. In the case of a Lucid, the driver would still be in the car to take over.

But...why buy a driver's car to have it drive itself? If you are going to do that, use Waymo or Uber/Lyft instead of owning a car.
Just as a safety measure, and because it can react in horrible situations faster than a human being. Uber costs money, and I drive a lot, so I need my own car. What am I supposed to do , call Uber 5 times a day and wait for a different car each time?

That video is an aspiration, not reality. You should not buy based on that video because there's no timeline to make what you see a reality.

Lucid Highway Assist is a work in progress and I don't expect much improvement until Lucid will pour money into that department.

Tesla FSD can do more but at a cost of accidents and fatalities.

Mercedes L3 can do eyes off/hands off but with lots of restrictions such as in California and Nevada highways and 40 MPH maximally... only. It started selling L3 since 2022 in Germany and there have been no accidents during the L3 operation for the past 2 years

BMW L3 is coming but not available in the US just yet.

You can't buy L4 currently but you can ride in one if you are in the operation range of Waymo. Waymo has never got into a human fatality but it is not foolproof as it still collides with obstacles. I am not an expert but I think the cause is the overaggressive programming that overrides the obstacle sensing system.

A good ADAS with near zero collision is hard to come by and its progress is slow.
I inquired multiple times about Full Self-Driving (FSD) before purchasing my car. Based on the discussions I had with them, I was led to believe that the only obstacle was legislative approval. At no point was I informed that FSD might never become a reality. I feel misled by their representations, as they should have clearly communicated the potential impossibility of FSD. The entire advertising campaign creates the impression that FSD will eventually be achievable, which is misleading for consumers. Had I known how inadequate the Highway Assist was, I would never have purchased the car, especially considering I paid for the PRO version.

It certainly can be done in a given market but at an expensive price for all the technology. Waymo has essentially done that in greater Phoenix...driverless cars taking paying passengers around town. And, the Waymos have an excellent accident rate. The biggest problem I have seen is if they encounter an unexpected change such as a lane being turned because of construction. But the worst thing that happens is that the car freezes. In the case of a Lucid, the driver would still be in the car to take over.

But...why buy a driver's car to have it drive itself? If you are going to do that, use Waymo or Uber/Lyft instead of owning a car.
I would buy an Autonomous Vehicle instead of hiring a human driver or relying on catching a Waymo: It's convenient.

But we are still talking about science fiction despite what Waymo can do without a human driver.

Machines/robots are very good at repeatability. They can beat humans at a chess game because although the moves seem to be random, they have learned all the moves since those moves are not infinite. Thus, those moves become repeatability for them.

There are just so many combinations of the road scenarios for a robot to learn to drive.

GM Cruise requires 1.5 remote operators to staff each of its Autonomous Vehicle.

Waymo has to do a lot of fine-tuning the software everyday. And every day, there's a new scenario.

With the advance of AI, hopefully AI can teach the robots all the possibilities of all scenarios on the road but I won't count on running out of the almost infinite combination in my life time.

In the meantime, I think to accommodate the machine's repeatability skills, configuring the infrastructure with V2X would help. There should be specific roads for AV just like the railroads. Obstacles including traffic lights, vehicles, pedestrians.. will transmit the V2X for the AV to interreact appropriately...

Lots of hypes but it costs money, time, and the progress is slow.

My car stays centered in the lane, unless I purposely bias it. I’d have the calibration checked.

It does give up on sharp turns, which isn’t good. That’s been a universal complaint since HA was released. I’m hoping they address that one soon. It’s been too long since we’ve had a significant update.

If you’re looking for Full Self Driving, though, Lucid is not your brand. They do not and have never claimed to be working towards completely hands-free, pay attention free driving. HA and other ADAS systems will certainly improve beyond their current state. But Lucid are not even attempting achieve FSD with Air, as they know that’s a pipe dream for at least another ten years.
They are claiming it. Please go to 4.28 on YouTube!

" Eyes-off the road, hands-off the steering wheel and let the car takes over the driving task for you. "

" Eyes-off the road, hands-off the steering wheel and let the car takes over the driving task for you. "
That video is over two years old. But fair enough. I had never seen this one.

Hands off is still coming, I believe. That may be the part they needed approval for? As well as lane change assist. These are things the current hardware is ready for, once the software is in place.

"Eyes off" is a ridiculous claim and never should have made it into this video. Lucid are certainly not promising that anymore. Last I heard from execs at the recent rally, they are expecting to get to level 3 with the current Air hardware. But not level 5. No one is going to get to level 5 with current shipping hardware.

I think in the earliest days, Lucid was a tad too anxious to be compared favorably to Tesla. As a result, they were overly optimistic about what they'd be able to accomplish and the timeframe in which they'd be able to catch up. They've reset expectations quite a bit since then, if you listen to their latest claims.

I inquired multiple times about Full Self-Driving (FSD) before purchasing my car. Based on the discussions I had with them, I was led to believe that the only obstacle was legislative approval. At no point was I informed that FSD might never become a reality. I feel misled by their representations, as they should have clearly communicated the potential impossibility of FSD. The entire advertising campaign creates the impression that FSD will eventually be achievable, which is misleading for consumers. Had I known how inadequate the Highway Assist was, I would never have purchased the car, especially considering I paid for the PRO version.

Again, it's prudent to buy with what it CAN do right now rather than what it WILL do in an undetermined future.

Lucid has never promised full self driving. They claim DDPro is hardware ready for Level 3 autonomy. Even the video does not promise level 3 anytime soon using the word eventually when describing its availability. Level 3 autonomy is only eyes off and hands off in very limited situations where the car can either stop or give the driver enough notice to take over. The requirement to either stop or give the driver time to take over limits the speed of Level 3 systems. It can still be useful in traffic jams where speeds are very low. Just look at limited speed of the Mercedes level 3 that is approved in a couple of states.

That video fails to show that the Lucid does NOT stay centered in the lane as claimed; in my experience, it tends to stay closer to the right most of the time.
Call service and get your ADAS recalibrated, and check your wheel alignment. Mine stays perfectly centered, as has every loaner I've driven. This is a fixable issue for you.

It also doesn't illustrate the Lucid losing control on steep curves. I'm very disappointed with the Highway Assist feature. If the car in front of you brakes hard, you'd better pay attention. When approaching a stopped car on the freeway at high speed, don't rely on Lucid to apply enough braking force to stop in time—I doubt it will, and you'll need to intervene.
Stopped objects are explicitly called out in the manual as something that isn't handled well today. There will be improvements to this in the future, I'm sure. I have never had any issues with a car that is slamming on its brakes though, provided I was on the 3 or 4 level of distance-keeping.

I'm uncertain how they plan to develop an effective self-driving system without utilizing AI neural networks and millions of miles of video footage data.
Only one company is trying to do it that way: Comma. And while it's OK (I've used it, and geohot is an old acquaintance, and I had friends that work there). The only reason Tesla is swapping to that method now is because their FSD was not doing great, they realized Comma might be eating their lunch, and Musk decided to try a hail mary as the iterative work on FSD had not gone well enough, because they had overpromised. The 'new FSD' also doesn't do everything it says on the tin; but the theory is that one day it can, maybe, if people just keep driving.

There are many ways to skin a cat. It is not entirely clear, yet, that Comma/new Tesla's approach works well. Moreover, you can debug and adjust the 'old style' of ADAS. It is much harder to debug and adjust a black-box NN.

Regarding "Eyes off the road, hands off the steering wheel, and let the car take over the driving task for you," that would be Full Self-Driving (FSD). I bet it won't be available even 10 years from now, based on my experience with Lucid's software, which is full of glitches.
Lucid never promised 'Full Self-Driving.' You may be thinking of Tesla, which it promised starting In 2016. I know we're only 8 years in, not 10, but I'm not super-hopeful for really great FSD in the next two years given how thinks have been going. Do I think it will eventually happen? Yes. But I would rather it happen safely and consistently than throwing pasta at the wall and hoping the car doesn't drive me off a cliff.

I'm very excited for what's coming down the pipe, and I'm hopeful we'll see a bunch of ADAS improvements from Lucid in upcoming releases; it has been a while, and I know they're feeling the itch to release something too, just like we all here are beginning to lament the lack of ADAS releases as well. Nobody's living in a bubble, heh.

I've been begging them for months to fix the Bluetooth issue where, during a conversation, the sound becomes distorted. I have to switch to the speaker and back to Bluetooth (touching the phone while driving). It does this with three different phones and was fine until a few months ago.
Define 'distorted'? Are you using BT or CarPlay? I haven't had this issue, though I've had one other BT issues I know is getting fixed.

How can a company that can't figure out Bluetooth achieve FSD? These three phones were fine until a few months ago and had the same problem in a Lucid loaner.
Because they are entirely different skillsets. I guarantee you the same team is not working on both.

Just look at limited speed of the Mercedes level 3 that is approved in a couple of states.
40 MPH is a baby step for the first hands-off/eyes-off L3 system but:

"Mercedes-Benz is focusing on SAE Level 3 conditionally automated driving with the ultimate goal of driving at speeds of up to 80 mph (130 km/h) in its final iteration. "

I begged the service to re-calibrate and they refused, they said is not needed, Do other people experience the problem? Please advise.
Push back on service. You need to have the car re-calibrated, and your wheel alignment checked. Call service.

FSD is a Tesla-specific term, so I guarantee you the Lucid advertising campaign did not ever discuss FSD, even once. They did discuss Highway Assist, which currently exists (though I understand you are having an issue with it staying centered), and a number of other features, like lane change assist, which do not exist yet.

From 4:25-5:00: "This means your lucid air is hardware-ready for the future of driving. Soon, enhancements to highway assist like lane change assist will be available, and eventually, highway pilot with hands-off, eyes-off automated driving, plus remote control features like automated park pilot will be available too. Once these capabilities are ready, you'll get them with a simple over-the-air update. These updates deliver the latest advancements automatically to your vehicle, keeping your car on the cutting edge, no new hardware required."

Which part of that, precisely, is dishonest? Every single mention in that video discusses future software that hasn't been released yet. I have not heard a single claim that the hardware cannot support the future enhancements. Perhaps they shouldn't have used the word 'soon,' but that's a far cry from 'available now.'

Perhaps your argument is that they aren't working on it and will never release it? Well, I can guarantee you the ADAS team isn't sitting on their hands counting their dubloons, either. 🤷‍♂️

Back