Highway assist in riyadh city

Parabitu

Cars
Lucid
Hello everyone,

Im planning to buy a lucid air pure with DreamDrive pro. But, i would like to ask if any of you have tried the “highway assist” feature in riyadh city and whether this feature is supported in this region?

I really like what the car offers but i want to make sure every spec that i will add to my car would work well.

Hello everyone,

Im planning to buy a lucid air pure with DreamDrive pro. But, i would like to ask if any of you have tried the “highway assist” feature in riyadh city and whether this feature is supported in this region?

I really like what the car offers but i want to make sure every spec that i will add to my car would work well.
I am in the U.S. and I don't think the general principle is different:

Current DreamDrive Pro can do 2 things on HD-mapped highways:

1. Adaptive Cruise
2. Highway Assist: automatically keeps your car centered in a lane.

Since you are asking about city roads with intersections and traffic lights, it can do only 1 out of 2:

1. Adaptive Cruise

i want to make sure every spec that i will add to my car would work well.
Lucid video plans to software update it to Highway Pilot with additional features:

1) Automatic Lane Change

2) Eyes-off the road, hands-off the steering wheel and let the car takes over the driving task for you.

However, there's no timeline so buy the car for what it can do now, Highway Assist, and I wouldn't count on seeing the self-driving feature, Highway Pilot, any time soon.

I think those self-driving features can be possible if Lucid pours money into this department.

Maybe @FM7 can answer the actual question on local availability?

Hello everyone,

Hi @Parabitu
I used highway assist on King Salman road and found it very good and responsive, however I have a few observations:
1- The lane departure warning and intervention doesn't always work if the road does not have the lane markers
2- As soon as the car in front stops, the lucid also slows down and stops, but when the car in front moves or leaves the lane, it speeds up without scanning ahead in order to determine if we are still in traffic. This causes hard braking and causes the car to jerk to a stop.

2- As soon as the car in front stops, the lucid also slows down and stops, but when the car in front moves or leaves the lane, it speeds up without scanning ahead in order to determine if we are still in traffic. This causes hard braking and causes the car to jerk to a stop.
Interesting, what is your following distance set to? I usually keep mine at 3 of whatever unit that is, and it's actually quite slow to pick up in those situations. I haven't had it jerk the brakes at all.

Interesting, what is your following distance set to? I usually keep mine at 3 of whatever unit that is, and it's actually quite slow to pick up in those situations. I haven't had it jerk the brakes at all.
I have it on 1 because traffic in Riyadh is vicious and unforgiving.
It has done it many times to the pont that I developed a phobia from it.

I have it on 1 because traffic in Riyadh is vicious and unforgiving.
It has done it many times to the pont that I developed a phobia from it.
Can i ask what was your previous car. And what are your thoughts on the car so far in every aspect?
Is the lack of charging stations a problem for you?

Can i ask what was your previous car. And what are your thoughts on the car so far in every aspect?
Is the lack of charging stations a problem for you?
My previous car, which i still have, is a Range Rover Sport
I absolutely love my Lucid it's fast and smooth on the road
Not to mention that it turns heads all the time,
people (absolute strangers) have come up to me asking about it.

Charging is not a problem as Lucid has provided a home charger, I haven't had the need to charge outside at all

15,000 killomters in Riyadh roads, high way assist on king fahad, salman, and the north and east rings works fine but i dont use it frequently.
first 6 months without home charger (using public chargers) so it wasn't a big issue. I'd say buy it without hesitation. However dont buy a pure its honestly garbage at this point. Touring is a great choice and GT is even better for adaptive suspension and full radars/cameras specs.

My previous was a Mercedes (i still have it) and i only drive Lucid now or just take an Uber :) I think the only vehicle i would consider instead of Lucid is a Spectre (RR) but everything else falls short compared to Lucid.

15,000 killomters in Riyadh roads, high way assist on king fahad, salman, and the north and east rings works fine but i dont use it frequently.
first 6 months without home charger (using public chargers) so it wasn't a big issue. I'd say buy it without hesitation. However dont buy a pure its honestly garbage at this point. Touring is a great choice and GT is even better for adaptive suspension and full radars/cameras specs.

My previous was a Mercedes (i still have it) and i only drive Lucid now or just take an Uber :) I think the only vehicle i would consider instead of Lucid is a Spectre (RR) but everything else falls short compared to Lucid.
Did you face any battery overheating during summer? such as the car does not function or not being able to drive it due to overheating?

Did you face any battery overheating during summer? such as the car does not function or not being able to drive it due to overheating?
No, the car manages the battery very well and activates battery cooling (I noticed that when i leave it under the sun without shades). I normally lose around 1% of battery if i leave it like that in a 45 to 50 degrees for 2-3 hours. if you're going to buy the glass canopy then buy the canopy shades they cost like 150 USD and they get installed from the inside so the AC doesn't struggle in keeping the cabin cool. I also activate the AC remotely from the app 5 min before driving to ensure im in a 21 degrees cabin.

No, the car manages the battery very well and activates battery cooling (I noticed that when i leave it under the sun without shades). I normally lose around 1% of battery if i leave it like that in a 45 to 50 degrees for 2-3 hours. if you're going to buy the glass canopy then buy the canopy shades they cost like 150 USD and they get installed from the inside so the AC doesn't struggle in keeping the cabin cool. I also activate the AC remotely from the app 5 min before driving to ensure im in a 21 degrees cabin.
I also have the glass canopy shades
I think it's a must for Riyadh weather
Once I left my car under the sun for a long time and drove it, the camera and sensors gave an error and wouldn't work
but as soon as the car cooled down they started working.

I also have the glass canopy shades
I think it's a must for Riyadh weather
Once I left my car under the sun for a long time and drove it, the camera and sensors gave an error and wouldn't work
but as soon as the car cooled down they started working.
Also got the shades. On weekends mine sits under the sun. When I drive it and finish a few errands in the afternoon, the fans stay on for a while after stopping. Last weekend the fans started again about an hour AFTER I stopped the car, and stayed on for like 30 mins (when it started it was around 5:30 PM so it wasn't even under direct sun light. Of course it lost about 5% charge during this process.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Lucid video plans to software update it to Highway Pilot with additional features:

1) Automatic Lane Change

2) Eyes-off the road, hands-off the steering wheel and let the car takes over the driving task for you.

However, there's no timeline so buy the car for what it can do now, Highway Assist, and I wouldn't count on seeing the self-driving feature, Highway Pilot, any time soon.

I think those self-driving features can be possible if Lucid pours money into this department.

That video fails to show that the Lucid does NOT stay centered in the lane as claimed; in my experience, it tends to stay closer to the right most of the time. It also doesn't illustrate the Lucid losing control on steep curves. I'm very disappointed with the Highway Assist feature. If the car in front of you brakes hard, you'd better pay attention. When approaching a stopped car on the freeway at high speed, don't rely on Lucid to apply enough braking force to stop in time—I doubt it will, and you'll need to intervene.
I'm uncertain how they plan to develop an effective self-driving system without utilizing AI neural networks and millions of miles of video footage data.
Regarding "Eyes off the road, hands off the steering wheel, and let the car take over the driving task for you," that would be Full Self-Driving (FSD). I bet it won't be available even 10 years from now, based on my experience with Lucid's software, which is full of glitches. I've been begging them for months to fix the Bluetooth issue where, during a conversation, the sound becomes distorted. I have to switch to the speaker and back to Bluetooth (touching the phone while driving). It does this with three different phones and was fine until a few months ago. How can a company that can't figure out Bluetooth achieve FSD? These three phones were fine until a few months ago and had the same problem in a Lucid loaner.

That video fails to show that the Lucid does NOT stay centered in the lane as claimed; in my experience, it tends to stay closer to the right most of the time. It also doesn't illustrate the Lucid losing control on steep curves. I'm very disappointed with the Highway Assist feature. If the car in front of you brakes hard, you'd better pay attention. When approaching a stopped car on the freeway at high speed, don't rely on Lucid to apply enough braking force to stop in time—I doubt it will, and you'll need to intervene.
I'm uncertain how they plan to develop an effective self-driving system without utilizing AI neural networks and millions of miles of video footage data.
Regarding "Eyes off the road, hands off the steering wheel, and let the car take over the driving task for you," that would be Full Self-Driving (FSD). I bet it won't be available even 10 years from now, based on my experience with Lucid's software, which is full of glitches. I've been begging them for months to fix the Bluetooth issue where, during a conversation, the sound becomes distorted. I have to switch to the speaker and back to Bluetooth (touching the phone while driving). It does this with three different phones and was fine until a few months ago. How can a company that can't figure out Bluetooth achieve FSD? These three phones were fine until a few months ago and had the same problem in a Lucid loaner.
My car stays centered in the lane, unless I purposely bias it. I’d have the calibration checked.

It does give up on sharp turns, which isn’t good. That’s been a universal complaint since HA was released. I’m hoping they address that one soon. It’s been too long since we’ve had a significant update.

If you’re looking for Full Self Driving, though, Lucid is not your brand. They do not and have never claimed to be working towards completely hands-free, pay attention free driving. HA and other ADAS systems will certainly improve beyond their current state. But Lucid are not even attempting achieve FSD with Air, as they know that’s a pipe dream for at least another ten years.

That video is an aspiration, not reality. You should not buy based on that video because there's no timeline to make what you see a reality.

Lucid Highway Assist is a work in progress and I don't expect much improvement until Lucid will pour money into that department.

Tesla FSD can do more but at a cost of accidents and fatalities.

Mercedes L3 can do eyes off/hands off but with lots of restrictions such as in California and Nevada highways and 40 MPH maximally... only. It started selling L3 since 2022 in Germany and there have been no accidents during the L3 operation for the past 2 years

BMW L3 is coming but not available in the US just yet.

You can't buy L4 currently but you can ride in one if you are in the operation range of Waymo. Waymo has never got into a human fatality but it is not foolproof as it still collides with obstacles. I am not an expert but I think the cause is the overaggressive programming that overrides the obstacle sensing system.

A good ADAS with near zero collision is hard to come by and its progress is slow.

It certainly can be done in a given market but at an expensive price for all the technology. Waymo has essentially done that in greater Phoenix...driverless cars taking paying passengers around town. And, the Waymos have an excellent accident rate. The biggest problem I have seen is if they encounter an unexpected change such as a lane being turned because of construction. But the worst thing that happens is that the car freezes. In the case of a Lucid, the driver would still be in the car to take over.

But...why buy a driver's car to have it drive itself? If you are going to do that, use Waymo or Uber/Lyft instead of owning a car.

My car stays centered in the lane, unless I purposely bias it. I’d have the calibration checked.

It does give up on sharp turns, which isn’t good. That’s been a universal complaint since HA was released. I’m hoping they address that one soon. It’s been too long since we’ve had a significant update.

If you’re looking for Full Self Driving, though, Lucid is not your brand. They do not and have never claimed to be working towards completely hands-free, pay attention free driving. HA and other ADAS systems will certainly improve beyond their current state. But Lucid are not even attempting achieve FSD with Air, as they know that’s a pipe dream for at least another ten years.
I begged the service to re-calibrate and they refused, they said is not needed, Do other people experience the problem? Please advise.

Back