Hi-speed noise

My wife has the car mid week, I'll have it on the weekend. It's a vibration. I feel it in the steering wheel and can feel it. At 90, it crops us, it was significant enough that i slowed down. I don't think a video will show anything, but I'll try.

I have a call to Christopher, who is probably tired of dealing with me!@ I'll go for a ride with him first up on 280.
It might be wheel balance issue like other members mentioned. I would take the vehicle to the shop who does Road-force balancing

I wonder if Andrew is up for a little experiment... take it up to 120mph and see if the vibration stops but the aero inserts fly off! 😝
I love it when the gang tries to convince someone to try "a little experiment". It make this place fun.

Andrew I did not see your history with the car " ... just got my GT back..." Was it ok at speed before ? re: did something happen ?

Every once in a while tires are defective. I bought a set of Goodyears for the wife's car, and the mechanic who mounted/balanced the tires said they were the worst he'd ever seen ... right at the limit of what his machine could handle. (hunter road force, and my guy is a former racer so he knows what he's doing).
They were never "right" even at legal speeds. After a week I replaced them with Contis and sold them on Craigs list for $100/set.

Yes sometimes the tires can be so poorly manufactured that they can not be balanced. Perhaps a belt has shifted on you if the tires did not present this problem before.

If it's not the tires ... bummer. I can't imagine some rotating part other than wheels/tires causing this ...

My wife has the car mid week, I'll have it on the weekend. It's a vibration. I feel it in the steering wheel and can feel it. At 90, it crops us, it was significant enough that i slowed down. I don't think a video will show anything, but I'll try.

I have a call to Christopher, who is probably tired of dealing with me!@ I'll go for a ride with him first up on 280.
I was asking @Shuasha for a video, not you. :)

Yours is almost certainly balance. Let us know!

I was asking @Shuasha for a video, not you. :)

Yours is almost certainly balance. Let us know!
It's such a low hum that it's hard to catch on video. I might attach a gopro under the car again to see if I can catch it that way. It was very clear when vibrating vent flaps was the problem, which the techs couldn't recreate either before a video.

It's such a low hum that it's hard to catch on video. I might attach a gopro under the car again to see if I can catch it that way. It was very clear when vibrating vent flaps was the problem, which the techs couldn't recreate either before a video.
I see. That sucks! Check your wheel balance?

Why not just swap the front wheels to the rear and bring the rear wheels forward. Assuming you just have one unbalanced wheel, the vibration would move to the rear and you shouldn't feel it in the steering wheel.

Lucid took off my newest tire and had it rebalanced, thinking the tire shop messed up. They didn't check my older one as far as I know.

Would the wheel cover being on when balanced make a difference? I took them all off first thing after buying the 19" set.

Lucid took off my newest tire and had it rebalanced, thinking the tire shop messed up. They didn't check my older one as far as I know.

Would the wheel cover being on when balanced make a difference? I took them all off first thing after buying the 19" set.
Wheel covers shouldn't make a difference.

Back