Hi-speed noise

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi All,
I finally got my GT back. Driving home from the service center, the car drives beautifully. However, there was some noise at about 90 mph:

Everything was smooth, up to 90 mph. At 90 mph, I noticed some rumbling; it seemed like it was coming from the drive train, but I'm not sure at all. When I slowed down, it went away, coming back at about 90 mph.

Has anyone noticed noise from below (I think) at high speeds?

Thanks,

Can you record a video?

I can record it. I can feel it on the steering wheel too, like a vibration.

Feeling a vibration in the steering wheel is typically tires are out of balance. They could’ve been rotated and not balanced in the right position or you could’ve thrown a weight should be relatively easy problem to address make sure they do a high speed balance since evidently you like to drive at 90 miles an hour:)

Sounds like you need to balance your wheels.
Thanks, I did not think of this as I was driving home from the service center. I have the all season “19 wheels. I assume they are rated for 135 mph or higher?

Thanks, I did not think of this as I was driving home from the service center. I have the all season “19 wheels. I assume they are rated for 135 mph or higher?
Speed was not your issue, lol

They’re speed rated Y, or the highest possible speed rating of 186mph.

Speed was not your issue, lol

They’re speed rated Y, or the highest possible speed rating of 186mph.
Wait, EVEN the 19's are? I know the 20s/21s are Y-rated, but I wouldn't have expected the 19s to also be!

I have the same thing starting at 50 mph, but increasing after that. It's been in the shop 4 times (not just for this, but one of thing things on the list) and they can't seem to track it down. I even did a ride along with one of the techs, but the highway we were on was too loud otherwise to hear it and the vibration in the steering wheel is subtle. They did a rebalance of the front tires as part of the troubleshooting. It gets pushed to "normal NVH", which I don't fully agree with.

I have the same thing starting at 50 mph, but increasing after that. It's been in the shop 4 times (not just for this, but one of thing things on the list) and they can't seem to track it down. I even did a ride along with one of the techs, but the highway we were on was too loud otherwise to hear it and the vibration in the steering wheel is subtle. They did a rebalance of the front tires as part of the troubleshooting. It gets pushed to "normal NVH", which I don't fully agree with.
Can you take a video?

My wife has the car mid week, I'll have it on the weekend. It's a vibration. I feel it in the steering wheel and can feel it. At 90, it crops us, it was significant enough that i slowed down. I don't think a video will show anything, but I'll try.

I have a call to Christopher, who is probably tired of dealing with me!@ I'll go for a ride with him first up on 280.

Just want to point out that in case you do want to drive above 120mph and you are using the aero inserts, according to the user manual those need to be removed or it could fly out.
I wonder if Andrew is up for a little experiment... take it up to 120mph and see if the vibration stops but the aero inserts fly off! 😝

Back