RESOLVED 19” tire raptured after hitting a pothole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't regular car insurance or AAA cover this? What does the supplemental insurance provide that they don't?
for davidliu's case, tire rupture and wheel damage from running over a pothole, collision insurance should cover it.

for nails, sidewall bubbles, flat tires, etc regular insurance does not cover. that's what road hazard insurance covers

There’s a high probability of it not being covered by Pirelli. If so, you can file a claim with Cal Trans. It takes awhile, but worth it in the long run.
I received their denial today after four months. The reason is the claim didn't meet their criteria. I don't what criteria is. Not sure if there is any other action I can take.

I received their denial today after four months. The reason is the claim didn't meet their criteria. I don't what criteria is. Not sure if there is any other action I can take.
That’s unfortunate news for sure! Great question as to what their qualifying criteria is. Sorry it wasn’t reimbursed.

I would ask for more specifics. This is a helpful article: https://personalinjurylawcal.com/blog/how-to-get-reimbursed-for-pothole-damage/

What evidence did you include with your claim? And where exactly was it? Was it on a road managed by DoT/Caltrans?

This is also a helpful article: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/consumer/government-pothole-damage/3157949/

Caltrans’ Chinchilla told us two main factors determine Caltrans’ liability -- and whether it pays out tax dollars to repair your car. First: awareness. Caltrans is not liable if it’s not aware of a pothole.

“We don’t know what we don’t know,” Chinchilla said.

But even if Caltrans knows about a pothole, it might not be on the hook.

“There is a reasonable time that we are allocated to go and fix the pothole,” Chinchilla said.

Officially, state law says Caltrans gets “sufficient time” to respond. But the 1963 law doesn’t define what “sufficient” is. That’s murky.

Mike insists his case is not.

“It’s so clear cut and dry in my mind,” he said.

But here’s the thing: his rejection letter doesn’t include any specifics about what Caltrans knew or when, so no way to know if it filled the pothole in “sufficient time.” Mike sees room for improvement with the pothole process.

And later, some helpful info:

Maximize Your Chances Government Pays (No Guarantees)​

If you file a government claim yourself, you’ll maximize the chances you get paid if you take a few key steps:
  1. Take photos of the damage.
  2. Get an itemized repair estimate or receipt.
  3. And pinpoint the pothole’s exact location.
  4. When you file a claim, keep a copy of the form for yourself.
  5. Don't wait. State law only gives you six months to file.
  6. Finally: if you see a pothole, Caltrans says report it ASAP. Their reps say the best reports include an exact location.

Last edited:
did you try making a collision insurance claim with your auto insurance company?

for davidliu's case, tire rupture and wheel damage from running over a pothole, collision insurance should cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back