Help decide between 19s and 20s wheels

kae02

Verified Owner
Hi,

Looking to place an order for air touring to be driven in PA with all weathers but confused between 19inch and 20inch wheel. 19s comes with all weather however has history of blowouts as I can see in this forum and 20s come with michelin, more reliable but summer only tires

Anyone faced any issues with 20s?

Any 20s summer tires out yet which can fit without changing wheels?

I have had zero issues with the 20 inch rims and Michelin. The first week I had my car it was abnormally cold and I had to go on a roadtrip in 16 degree windy weather on those summer tires. While not recommended I have put 5000 miles on the tires since that cold driving and have had zero issues. YMMV. I am anti Pirelli as I had them on my last car and had the very same issues that people are having on the LUCID. Tons of sidewall bubbles and 3 discount tire warranty replacements.

Actually 19s have lowest blowout potential as they have more sidewall.
It's still crap Pirellis. I do think the 19s have less issues than the 21s but if I recall correctly I think some have had issues with the 19s. I drive on the horrible roads of Dallas and have not had a blowout with the 20s on Michelin.

20's have been great..just hit a large pothole yesterday that I thought would have damaged the tire and wheel but it absorbed the impact without issue

Thank you all for great feedback. So looks like the issues are primarily with Pirelli tires because 19inch wheel should supposedly provide more cushion

Thank you all for great feedback. So looks like the issues are primarily with Pirelli tires because 19inch wheel should supposedly provide more cushion
My 21s with OEM Pirellis now have well over 13k with no issues.

My 21s with OEM Pirellis now have well over 13k with no issues.
Yeah which is why I was confused as I see mixed feedback. 19 would have been perfect keeping durability in mind but then I read blow out issues in 19s. 20s are michelin but only summer tires and I live in north east. Wish they had all weather for 20s too. Or michelin for 19s

Yeah which is why I was confused as I see mixed feedback. 19 would have been perfect keeping durability in mind but then I read blow out issues in 19s. 20s are michelin but only summer tires and I live in north east. Wish they had all weather for 20s too. Or michelin for 19s
Summer tires are not meant for cold weather usage. You should get the 19s.

Exactly... I was going with 19s only but when I search this forum, there are complaints around 19s and 21s pirellis but no complaint (so far) on 20s. Should I get 20s and later switch to winter tires in fall?

I guess I missed the reports of problems with the 19's. I thought they were the most reliable and durable. I've got over 8k miles on mine with no problems. But I got them mostly for the range

I strongly agree. Many good threads here on tire issues, and lots of anecdotal evidence against the oem 21" Pirellis. But I have always disliked Pirellis, after 50 years of issues, from several Porsches. Yes, I am prejudiced.

The unblemished truth is: the lower the profile the tire, the shorted the sidewall, and GENERALLY more susceptible the tire is blow out when hitting a curb or pothole. That said, the construction of the tire is also important. Many here, including myself, have never had a blowout on low profile Contis or Michi. IOW, a 21" inch wheel is not an issue, per se. But ya need to "choose wisely" your tires.

Just personally, I love 20s. Look much better than 19s, more sidewall than 21s, AND NOW there are tons of great Conti amd Michi 20s. That was not always the case. I think the range of EV and HL rating tires for 21" will improve shortly, due to all the new, HEAVY BEVS out there and coming.

And even with a stout Conti on 20" wheels, don't drive 35 mph straight over a curb in a parking lot because you were talking to a friend in the passenger seat. Ask my wife how $$ that turned out.

Exactly... I was going with 19s only but when I search this forum, there are complaints around 19s and 21s pirellis but no complaint (so far) on 20s. Should I get 20s and later switch to winter tires in fall?
For what it's worth, YES, YES. In Colorado, most car enthusiasts and many others have two sets of wheels. 19" beaters with real winter tires (I was a tester for Nokian when I lived in Vail) and a set of "nice" wheels and tires for the other three seasons. Either 20 or 21". I have 21" on my AT because it came that way. Wish it had 20s. And more importantly, I wish it had anything other than the Pirellis. I would be much more comfortable with a set of Conti DWS.

In Colorado, few have true summer tires. Our "Summer" tires tend to extreme performance A/S tires. We get a bit of snow almost every month. Had snow a week ago going over Loveland pass.

Like @Bobby said. But it is not just cold weather usage. Conti engineers I interviewed said even storage of a high performance summer tire below 5c/40f causes damage. They have seen many claims and real damage where the owner faithfully removed the h/s summer tires from November to March but left them in a garage or shed that got to 10 below F. It has gotten to 20 below F in Denver last winter.

I’ve been on this forum a long time, and I’ve seen very few reports of 19s giving people trouble, much less blowouts. It happens, but it‘s rare. And usually due to hitting something very big at a good speed.

Just crossed over 7k miles with my 19s, and I‘ve had no issues. And the potholes are pretty brutal in my neck of the woods this year.

FWIW, I've had my 19's for 14K miles with no issues. I find they provide a very comfortable ride and do well in NJ winters. They also provide the most amount of range. I used to have 2 different sets of tires for my Porsche and I just found it a pain getting them switched twice a year.

Back