Heads-up display

I've heard complaints that other brands' HUDs aren't really compatible with polarized sunglasses. Anyone try that with a Gravity HUD?

Ray Ban makes a line of true aviator sunglasses which aren't polarized (for the same reason you don't want polarized sunglasses with a HUD). I put sunglasses clips on the visors of all our cars and keep a pair of Ray Ban aviator sunglasses on the driver's visor of both our Gravities. (Polarized sunglasses are kept in the clips on the passengers' visors.)
 
DLP was launched ten years ago. Lincoln used it. Many high end auto brands are innovating in HUD implantations. I know nothing about the various tech options. The latest rage are AR installs that are using much more sophisticated tech.

It does not seem that any of them utilize this DLP tech. No idea why.

Meanwhile there has been innovation in polarized Sunglass offerings. BMW has gone so far as to introduce ( presumably partially) polarized lenses. Zeiss has as well. Presumably because of demand in their local German High End vehicle HUD.

On the other hand DLP HUD is used in aircraft from some Boeing 787 to the Raptor jet etc. Again no idea why. TI seems to favor sales to an intermediary HUD developer, not direct to a plane manufacturer and they are selling units that cost over one hundred times as much as a best in class Lucid.
 
not for me, I like my steering wheel to be as low as possible, when in that position a good part of the display is blocked, I cannot see one slice of the speed reading.
Agree completely. My steering wheel location cuts off most of the display.
 
The latest rage are AR installs that are using much more sophisticated tech.
Yeah, that's been the "future" for at least a half decade now. Imagine a HUD where the path you should take is shown in the HUD, laid on top of the actual roads. No more guessing which of two close turns/exits to take, as well as which lanes are the best to be in when more than one makes the turn. Looks like by the time we get an AR HUD the cars will be driving themselves anyway...
 
Yeah, that's been the "future" for at least a half decade now. Imagine a HUD where the path you should take is shown in the HUD, laid on top of the actual roads. No more guessing which of two close turns/exits to take, as well as which lanes are the best to be in when more than one makes the turn. Looks like by the time we get an AR HUD the cars will be driving themselves anyway...
That is what Lucid intends to get to.
 
Yeah, that's been the "future" for at least a half decade now. Imagine a HUD where the path you should take is shown in the HUD, laid on top of the actual roads. No more guessing which of two close turns/exits to take, as well as which lanes are the best to be in when more than one makes the turn. Looks like by the time we get an AR HUD the cars will be driving themselves anyway...
BMW does something like this already.. I meant on the navigation - on the main display and driver's. I don't think the AR video is on HUD.
 
BMW does something like this already.. I meant on the navigation - on the main display and driver's. I don't think the AR video is on HUD.

The HUD in a BMW iX I rented once is really nice (iDrive 8.5 maybe?). Their upcoming Neue Klasse system is even better.
 
Back
Top