- Joined
- Jan 26, 2026
- Messages
- 8
- Reaction score
- 9
- Cars
- 2026 Air Touring
Background: I usually use my phone as my key and carry the card in my wallet as a "just-in-case" (never had to use it). Phone app has been generally flawless as long as I remember to unlock my phone on approach to the car or find something to pretend to look at while standing around next to my car for 10-30 seconds waiting for it to notice me.
It has been unseasonably warm here, in the 80's. Went to meet some friends at a hotel restaurant and self-parking was full, so I decided to use the valet. Explained how to lock/unlock with the key card, and showed them how to hold it up by the microphone to drive. Couldn't remember my PIN at the moment, as I don't usually use it. Handed over the key card and went inside.
About 20 minutes later, the parking manager found me with my group and let me know that the valet had gotten trapped in the car with no A/C and was blocking the front portico. By the time I got there, the poor (sweaty) valet had gotten out--I guess he managed to pull back on the interior handle far enough to manually unlatch the door.
What I think happened was, he got in to the car as I was walking away with my phone, which triggered the car to lock with him in it. There is no way to wake the car up with someone inside it, which seems like a bit of a problem.
Furthermore, when they went to retrieve the car after I fell all over myself apologizing, they were unable to bypass the PIN screen to enter drive mode by holding the card up to the microphone. After a big fat tip, once I got it home, I did some experimenting. Holding the prox card up to the microphone seems to take a variable time to activate, and there is no visual confirmation that you have done it correctly when it does work. It's possibly that it just periodically "checks" if there is a prox card there every 10 seconds or so, meaning you may need to keep it positioned correctly for an inordinately long period of time with no indication when it has been validated. I'm guessing this is a feature they never really got to work properly, which is why it is essentially undocumented.
I do wish Lucid had done the following:
-Allow someone stuck in the car to wake it up when it is asleep, or provide a pictographic illustration for how to open the door manually when powered down
-Allow you to set a "valet" PIN that is easy to remember and communicate and separate from your own PIN, or have some way to put the car in "valet mode" (speed/power limited, to access to trunk or glovebox)
-Made a key fob/entry system that didn't eat batteries every 2 months so that you feel comfortable actually carrying it around with you
It has been unseasonably warm here, in the 80's. Went to meet some friends at a hotel restaurant and self-parking was full, so I decided to use the valet. Explained how to lock/unlock with the key card, and showed them how to hold it up by the microphone to drive. Couldn't remember my PIN at the moment, as I don't usually use it. Handed over the key card and went inside.
About 20 minutes later, the parking manager found me with my group and let me know that the valet had gotten trapped in the car with no A/C and was blocking the front portico. By the time I got there, the poor (sweaty) valet had gotten out--I guess he managed to pull back on the interior handle far enough to manually unlatch the door.
What I think happened was, he got in to the car as I was walking away with my phone, which triggered the car to lock with him in it. There is no way to wake the car up with someone inside it, which seems like a bit of a problem.
Furthermore, when they went to retrieve the car after I fell all over myself apologizing, they were unable to bypass the PIN screen to enter drive mode by holding the card up to the microphone. After a big fat tip, once I got it home, I did some experimenting. Holding the prox card up to the microphone seems to take a variable time to activate, and there is no visual confirmation that you have done it correctly when it does work. It's possibly that it just periodically "checks" if there is a prox card there every 10 seconds or so, meaning you may need to keep it positioned correctly for an inordinately long period of time with no indication when it has been validated. I'm guessing this is a feature they never really got to work properly, which is why it is essentially undocumented.
I do wish Lucid had done the following:
-Allow someone stuck in the car to wake it up when it is asleep, or provide a pictographic illustration for how to open the door manually when powered down
-Allow you to set a "valet" PIN that is easy to remember and communicate and separate from your own PIN, or have some way to put the car in "valet mode" (speed/power limited, to access to trunk or glovebox)
-Made a key fob/entry system that didn't eat batteries every 2 months so that you feel comfortable actually carrying it around with you