Guide to disabling CarPlay

MorganB

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Touring Silver Santa Cruz
Referral Code
93UMQZHW
I am very happy that Lucid has added CarPlay to our Air's as it gives the users choice. I currently do not wish to use CarPlay as I prefer the Lucid UX/UI.

If you have already enabled CarPlay follow Step 1, 2 and 3. If you have not enabled CarPlay you only need to follow Step 3:

Step 1 on your iPhone
1. Open Settings
2. Go to General
3. Select CarPlay
4. Select LUCID
5. toggle off

This will disable wireless CarPlay and it will also unpair your phone from Lucid Air

Step 2. On the pilot panel in your Air

1. Click the settings icon
2. Click Connectivity
3. Select Add Device
4. follow onscreen prompts to pair phone.
5. On iPhone when asked if you wish to enable CarPlay click "Not Now"

Steps 1 and 2 disable wireless CarPlay

However, if you connect your phone to charge via USB it will automatically enable wired CarPlay and if you get a phone call, CarPlay will take over the call, preventing you from using the Lucid UI for calls.

If you wish to simply charge your phone and not have wired CarPlay follow the steps below:

Step 3

Open the Settings app on your iPhone.

2. Tap Screen Time.

3. Click Content & Privacy Restrictions.

4. If you've never used the restrictions before, the toggle for Content & Privacy Restrictions, which is found at the top, may be turned off. To turn this feature on, tap the toggle at the top of the page to switch it from gray to green.

Turn on the toggle for "Content & Privacy Restrictions."Stefan Ionescu

5. Once the feature is turned on, tap Allowed Apps.

6. Tap the CarPlay toggle to switch it from green to gray to turn it off.

Switch the toggle from green to gray to turn off CarPlay.

CarPlay will no longer activate on your iPhone in ANY vehicle so you would need to reverse these steps to use CarPlay again.

I am very happy that Lucid has added CarPlay to our Air's as it gives the users choice. I currently do not wish to use CarPlay as I prefer the Lucid UX/UI.

If you have already enabled CarPlay follow Step 1, 2 and 3. If you have not enabled CarPlay you only need to follow Step 3:

Step 1 on your iPhone
1. Open Settings
2. Go to General
3. Select CarPlay
4. Select LUCID
5. toggle off

This will disable wireless CarPlay and it will also unpair your phone from Lucid Air

Step 2. On the pilot panel in your Air

1. Click the settings icon
2. Click Connectivity
3. Select Add Device
4. follow onscreen prompts to pair phone.
5. On iPhone when asked if you wish to enable CarPlay click "Not Now"

Steps 1 and 2 disable wireless CarPlay

However, if you connect your phone to charge via USB it will automatically enable wired CarPlay and if you get a phone call, CarPlay will take over the call, preventing you from using the Lucid UI for calls.

If you wish to simply charge your phone and not have wired CarPlay follow the steps below:

Step 3

Open the Settings app on your iPhone.

2. Tap Screen Time.

3. Click Content & Privacy Restrictions.

4. If you've never used the restrictions before, the toggle for Content & Privacy Restrictions, which is found at the top, may be turned off. To turn this feature on, tap the toggle at the top of the page to switch it from gray to green.

Turn on the toggle for "Content & Privacy Restrictions."Stefan Ionescu

5. Once the feature is turned on, tap Allowed Apps.

6. Tap the CarPlay toggle to switch it from green to gray to turn it off.

Switch the toggle from green to gray to turn off CarPlay.

CarPlay will no longer activate on your iPhone in ANY vehicle so you would need to reverse these steps to use CarPlay again.
Or use wireless charging.

Sure but it's slow, heats up your phone and makes your phone inaccessible.
Using the 15W is pretty fast. If you want your phone accessible, why not use CarPlay? That's the whole idea.

Using the 15W is pretty fast. If you want your phone accessible, why not use CarPlay? That's the whole idea.
I don’t object to the wireless charger but I personally plug my phone in to charge as it is faster and at times I forget to charge my phone so when I’m driving say to the gym I want to maximize charging speed during the 10 minute drive. I do this throughout the day and have been in the habit of using the lightening to usb-c cable to charge my phone since I took deliver of my Air.

I glance at my messages etc at stop lights or in traffic if needed so I like to be able to pick up my phone quickly instead of bothering with the wifi charging area.

I prefer the Lucid UX/UI to CarPlay personally for many reasons. I do appreciate the work that the software engineers put into CarPlay functionality and I also appreciate the work they have put into coding and designing their own UX / UI. It’s wonderful to have choice. As CarPlay evolves beyond its UI that was last overhauled in 2019 I will reconsider using it as well.

I wanted the choice to not use CarPlay currently while charging my phone via USB so sought out the information on how to accomplish my goal and thought I would share it with others that may want to do the same.

I don’t object to the wireless charger but I personally plug my phone in to charge as it is faster and at times I forget to charge my phone so when I’m driving say to the gym I want to maximize charging speed during the 10 minute drive. I do this throughout the day and have been in the habit of using the lightening to usb-c cable to charge my phone since I took deliver of my Air.

I glance at my messages etc at stop lights or in traffic if needed so I like to be able to pick up my phone quickly instead of bothering with the wifi charging area.

I prefer the Lucid UX/UI to CarPlay personally for many reasons. I do appreciate the work that the software engineers put into CarPlay functionality and I also appreciate the work they have put into coding and designing their own UX / UI. It’s wonderful to have choice. As CarPlay evolves beyond its UI that was last overhauled in 2019 I will reconsider using it as well.

I wanted the choice to not use CarPlay currently while charging my phone via USB so sought out the information on how to accomplish my goal and thought I would share it with others that may want to do the same.
My biggest complaint with the wireless charging is that my phone, which is an iPhone XR barely fits into the slot, even with a fair amount of physical force. Many people will have phones larger than I do, and will be forced to only use the wired charging. Also, they should have two charging slots, because many people would have a partner or spouse that might want to charge their phone at the same time and how hard would it be to add a second slot?

My biggest complaint with the wireless charging is that my phone, which is an iPhone XR barely fits into the slot, even with a fair amount of physical force. Many people will have phones larger than I do, and will be forced to only use the wired charging. Also, they should have two charging slots, because many people would have a partner or spouse that might want to charge their phone at the same time and how hard would it be to add a second slot?
Get two wedges and wire them. Or the TWraps charger.

Back