• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

GT vs. Touring/Pure charge rate

Tjackele

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
With the pack differences how does that impact charging rates for the two packs? Have the idea Pure is not 800v like the GT. So what is that impact?

With the pack differences how does that impact charging rates for the two packs? Have the idea Pure is not 800v like the GT. So what is that impact?
I thought all cars had 900v architecture, just smaller kW for touring/pure. Am I wrong?

Due to the 18 modules in Touring & Pure versus 22 modules in the GT, there's a change in voltage. It'd be 756V for the smaller battery pack versus 924V (22V per pack).
Oh that makes sense, thanks! So it will still charge about as fast as a Taycan which can do 270kw.

Keep in mind that the voltage is generated by the source of the power, not the destination. Voltage is like the equivalent of water pressure in a plumbing system, and current would be the flow rate.

When charging from an EA station, that station should provide the same voltage electric connection regardless of your car model. When the battery is pushing out energy (to the motors and other stuff) that’s when the AGT would produce a higher voltage than the AT.

I imagine it's much like WiFi speeds. There's the theoretical, and then there's what you get in the real world. I would be surprised if the Touring and Pure are significantly slower at charging up a hundred miles or so of range.

There are a lot of unknowns to answer this question correctly, especially since we do not know the efficiency of the Touring and Pure which would help inform us on how many miles we could add in 20 to 30 minutes. This is more important than how many kW it pulls. Assuming that the charge rate rapidly becomes limited by thermal management and assuming that the thermals are limited by heat transfer internal to the battery modules rather than by the overall system cooling capacity. The GT and the Touring/Pure will charge at the same current and the kW draw will be lower by the voltage difference between between the battery packs, 756/924. That implies the Touring/Pure will charge at 82% of the GT. If the Touring/Pure has a higher efficiency than the GT with 4.6 mi/kWhr, the actual miles added in 20 or 30 minutes will be closer.

The overall system cooling capacity may limit fast charging in AZ or other locations when it is 115 outside. In this case, the Pure and Touring will charge at the same rate in kW and the increased efficiency of the Touring/Pure means that it may actually put on more miles in 20-30 minutes than the GT.

All Lucids will be incredibly fast charging and good for road trips.

Back