Gravity Vehicles Available Online

Yes there are (3) variants of similar base spec
Personally, too many options to elect
1760037371868.webp

 
I have to wonder if this system of releasing "orphaned" vehicles was the best way for Lucid. I mean, I feel like a TON of customers are flexing on what they really wanted only because Lucid can't give us definitive build dates on custom orders. So for a company with "No compromise" slogan used regularly, they sure are having a ton of customers with "compromised orders." Perhaps not a bad thing but I know the car I'm getting in 2 weeks is not the exact one I wanted & configured 5 months ago.

So I compromised...since I had no idea when I'd get the one I wanted. Not saying I'm unhappy about it, but just wonder if there are a ton of people that got 95% what they wanted and if I had just stuck with my custom order, would I have gotten it by now rather than chasing orphans?! My SA even said "good question" but of course, couldn't answer it as we went orphan-hunting months ago and bypassed my initial custom order.
The no compromise is in engineering, not that they will produce only to satisfy an order specification.

Company needs at least 18k production.
 
Company production and sales really just need to meet expectations for KSA. No other investor matters. Sorry for those of us holding stock, but it’s true. KSA will fund or they’ll decide not to and that’s the key. I believe they’ll continue to fund.
 
Personal opinion without any Lucid-specific knowledge follows, so feel free to ignore if you please:

I think everyone is way too accepting of the smokescreens around "supply chain." I work in manufacturing. Tariffs suck. There have been hiccups and snarls. But they haven't brought all of industry to some screeching halt. I am sure Lucid and other EV manufacturers have some other wrinkles to deal with around things like rare earth magnets, but you'll note that all the cars rolling off the line have motors - they're missing other (IMO dumb) stuff like HUD wiring harnesses. These things aren't unobtanium.

I also think it's unreasonable to think that Lucid couldn't have done a much better job of matching cars to orders, rather than build random low-spec builds. If you can find a combination of the features you wanted in a build across several vehicles, it's not unreasonable to wonder why they didn't just build one good car instead of three unwanted ones, or delivered 3 vehicles to newer reservation holders while leaving long-term holders in an increasingly interminable holding pattern. If there is a build just like yours that got delivered to someone who ordered in August, except in a different color and wheel size, while your color and wheel size are obviously available on the site, then that almost definitely wasn't a "supply chain" issue - it was more likely a lack of a good manufacturing planning or allocation system.

And don't get me started on the paint. There's no good reason I can think of why paint couldn't have been nailed down a long time ago. (short of just poor project planning and/or lack of resources)

I believe the reality is that Lucid was still designing deep into the period when they should have been doing pilot builds and transfer to manufacturing work, and the result is that now they're trying to assemble the plane while it's already in the air. I'm sure there were also resource constraints. But IMO all the reasons that blame external conditions are just smokescreens or excuses. At Toyota, a company I know a little bit about, the design is basically locked and done 1 year prior to launch. That time is needed to iron out the supply chain, purchase and secure inventory and supply chains, cure manufacturing issues, etc. We know for a fact that this was not the case with the Gravity, because they have stated they redesigned the motor to be used as an inverter once they gained supercharger access very late in the game. Don't get me wrong - I applaud that strategic choice. But I think this was going on for a lot more than just the motor. The lack of a functioning prototype HUD (I *still* don't think anyone outside Lucid has seen even a prototype of a fully-functioning AR-enabled version?) VERY strongly suggests that development work was still going on post-launch - and maybe even now.....

Not to say any of this is easy. It's not. It's incredibly freaking hard. I empathize. I've never even been part of a project as big or complicated as a car with lots of cutting edge tech. But speaking as someone who wants the company to succeed, but also who has been sitting on an order for 11 months now, and someone with more than a passing understanding of what it takes to design and manufacture products, I find the blanket acceptance of the supply chain excuse kind of maddening.

I say all this with full respect and admiration for all. Just a dumb guy on the internet's opinion. But if @borski got one of his sources at Lucid drunk one night, I bet he'd hear I'm closer to the truth than not.
You can’t compare Lucid to a well established manufacturer. They have connections, volume to get preferential treatment.

Lucid going and telling them prioritize our orders for 10k vehicles doesn’t do anything.

And paint? They are building in batches to minimize turnover and increase efficiency.

This is the reality in manufacturing that many don’t get.
 
Good car with Yosemite interior if anyone is interested..
 
Good car with Yosemite interior if anyone is interested..
Would have been my configuration but decided to order an available inventory with Tech.
So glad I switch from Yosemite to Mojave, saw the showroom Yosemite & how the door wool arm rest got so dirty.
 
I posted below in the delivery thread. Posting here again hoping to help people finding their cars.
Have not read all the posts, not sure if people have noticed that the available Gravities now include cars available in 4 weeks. I assume these are cars that are still in the factory. There is an issue with the web page. There is no specific filter for 4 weeks. Every time you reload the page, the "available now" filter is automatically checked. You have to uncheck the two filters under Availability to see ALL available cars. I wish they add a filter for 4 weeks or longer so that we have a way to see only these cars.
 
Natick, MA has about a dozen vehicles available. What is boggling to me is that about half have the 22/23 summer tires! It's mid-October; it's going to start snowing soon. What exactly are they expecting buyers to do with these vehicles?
 
Natick, MA has about a dozen vehicles available. What is boggling to me is that about half have the 22/23 summer tires! It's mid-October; it's going to start snowing soon. What exactly are they expecting buyers to do with these vehicles?
Lucid's been doing this since the beginning.
Way back, someone posted a picture of their Air in Chicago in the middle of the winter with the 21' wheels and summer tires, fresh out of delivery.
 
Natick, MA has about a dozen vehicles available. What is boggling to me is that about half have the 22/23 summer tires! It's mid-October; it's going to start snowing soon. What exactly are they expecting buyers to do with these vehicles?
I honestly don’t think Lucid considered that in their batching and then geographic distribution.

That said, those 12 could all be cancellations and someone in MA area thought they didn’t need winter or A/S or would find them post delivery.
 
Natick, MA has about a dozen vehicles available. What is boggling to me is that about half have the 22/23 summer tires! It's mid-October; it's going to start snowing soon. What exactly are they expecting buyers to do with these vehicles?
Tesla does the same thing. When I bought my M3P back in 2018, it came with 20” wheels and summer performance rubber that were useless below 40 degrees.

Bottom line…if you are buying a performance car, generally you are going to have OEM performance tires. The exceptions are obviously the smallest wheels (for both Gravity and Air) which frankly make the most sense to me since I care deeply about range and efficiency. Plus I don’t need to keep swapping out tires and / or wheels which is a royal PITA…
 
Tesla does the same thing. When I bought my M3P back in 2018, it came with 20” wheels and summer performance rubber that were useless below 40 degrees.

Bottom line…if you are buying a performance car, generally you are going to have OEM performance tires. The exceptions are obviously the smallest wheels (for both Gravity and Air) which frankly make the most sense to me since I care deeply about range and efficiency. Plus I don’t need to keep swapping out tires and / or wheels which is a royal PITA…
When I got our 2016 performance X, I thought I’d have performance tires and then winter. I did. For two winters. Huge PITA unless you love DIY tire changing. I actually argued back and forth and got them to agree to put A/S on it and then decided I’d like the three seasons…

Also, totally not needed in Mid Atlantic. A/S is fine and they were available for the X.
 
Tesla does the same thing. When I bought my M3P back in 2018, it came with 20” wheels and summer performance rubber that were useless below 40 degrees.

Bottom line…if you are buying a performance car, generally you are going to have OEM performance tires. The exceptions are obviously the smallest wheels (for both Gravity and Air) which frankly make the most sense to me since I care deeply about range and efficiency. Plus I don’t need to keep swapping out tires and / or wheels which is a royal PITA…
There is a significant difference, though. There are winter-friendlier tire options available for the M3P. There are not any all-season, all-weather or winter tire options for the Gravity 22/23" wheels (yet).
 
There is a significant difference, though. There are winter-friendlier tire options available for the M3P. There are not any all-season, all-weather or winter tire options for the Gravity 22/23" wheels (yet).
Yeah, the really should add the smaller wheels to the store. But maybe it's already possible to schedule with a service center to have smaller wheels installed. I don't think we've seen a report back from someone who has tried to do that.
 
Yeah, the really should add the smaller wheels to the store. But maybe it's already possible to schedule with a service center to have smaller wheels installed. I don't think we've seen a report back from someone who has tried to do that.
I asked a couple of SAs. They said there will be an option to purchase a winter wheel package in the future, but did not have an ETA and did not seem optimistic that it would be available for this winter (which basically starts now for me).
 
A look at the GGT Tracking Log shows that the 22/23 options was only selected by about 10% of orders. Yet a look at available vehicles shows that about 40% of those are 22/23. My guess is that Lucid had to place wheel orders from manufacturer a year ago (before orders started coming in that would have given them an idea of different size demands) and so just guessed by ordering 1/3 of each. They now have more 22/23 than they need and are just scattering them around the country randomly thinking “Somebody will like the look and buy it without thinking about consequences.”
 
"Somebody will like the look and buy it without thinking about consequences."
No offense, but statements like this are terribly condescending. Though technically consequences can be positive, its not often associated as such. Thus the implication that 22/23 tires are BAD is patently false.
 
No offense, but statements like this are terribly condescending. Though technically consequences can be positive, its not often associated as such. Thus the implication that 22/23 tires are BAD is patently false.
Pirelli says they're bad.
 
except, you know, there is more climates than cold....
The conversation was specifically about vehicles available in cold areas with the 22/23 wheels and Pirellis.
 
Back
Top